Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 14)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 484 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
ejaru1810
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Finished The Staircase. I think that is not exaggeration to say that Toni Collette is one of the best actresses that has ever lived. She transmits so much while doing it so organically and naturally, what a talent. I think that Amanda and Lilly gave the performances of the year, but if Collette wins, I will be happy too. And she is clearly a lead, only this forum can make a drama out of her placement.

Juliette Binoche is definitely robbed. Sophie might be the dumbest woman on Earth, but Binoche ate and managed to make her as human as possible. Colin Firth was great as always, but I needed a little more from him, Collette and Binoche left me with more impact.

Patrick Schwarzenegger, Sophie Turner and Odessa Young were surpassingly moving, while Michael Stuhlbarg and Rosemarie DeWitt provided gravitas. Stuhlbarg is much better in Dopesick though.

The show was interesting, somber, well made, but managing so many storylines, characters, time lines and topics made it feel chaotic, messy and slow, it is a good example of why Dopesick is so good since it manages the same things, but with very different results. It is also too long, both as a duration of the episodes and as a number of total episodes (a horrible trend that needs to end).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

at least for my part isn’t hate but actually indifference because we had great and inspiring nominations/wins in the limited category on the last years so a show like Dopesick don’t inspire anything on me.

For me, it was the opposite, I feel like Dopesick gave a great portrait of the oxycodine epidemic, balancing all the aspects envolved very well, while The White Lotus was enjoyable, but forgetable, they tacled a lot of things without going as deep as they should on any of them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Stuhlbarg is much better in Dopesick though.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Yes, he played a very nuanced greedy man driven by an inferiority complex and an enormous ambition, not the typical villain and he made it really compelling to watch. His lawyer in The Staircase is the type of lawyer role we have seen a thousand times, a role that was not a challenge for him by any means.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

For me, it was the opposite, I feel like Dopesick gave a great portrait of the oxycodine epidemic, balancing all the aspects envolved very well, while The White Lotus was enjoyable, but forgetable, they tacled a lot of things without going as deep as they should on any of them.

the only three I cared Maid, Station Eleven and Midnight Mass were snubbed so..

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

“Dopesick” would have been the runaway winner in a prior era, I think. The current subject matter (opioid crisis) + perceived gravitas would have propelled it with a strong Emmy campaign, like HBO for example. Hulu can get there too, but with “The White Lotus” overperforming, the tides have since turned. Either limited series victory would be well-earned, so no need to slander one just to prop the other one up. Let’s be better than that. The other three nominees though, no thanks.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

If The White Lotus were in comedy everyone would be clamoring for it to win, but the fact it’s in what’s always been a “serious” category has set up an automatic bias against it. However it’s a bias that the TV Academy doesn’t seem to have, and I’m glad that’s the case.

I’ve only seen the first episode of Dopesick so I won’t comment on its quality, and Maid would probably be my personal pick, but I think The White Lotus will still make for an amazing winner.

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think my appreciation for Dopesick as a show grew (I saw the show over Christmas) over time as I saw shows like The Dropout, Pam and Tommy and Inventing Anna because of its focus on the humanity of those who were impacted by Oxycontin. It gave a sense of purpose for a story like this to be told on screen (I disagree with the characterisation of it as tired Emmy bait) and din’t really feel exploitative of those who were hurt by Oxycontin like The Dropout, Inventing Anna and Pam and Tommy did with Pamela Anderson and those who were swindled by Anna Delvey and Theranos .

That being said whilst I don’t begrudge its awards recognition (Michael Keaton is absolutely win worthy) I do feel like it doesn’t deserve half the things it’s been nominated for this year. Those three supporting actor nominations and that writing nod were somewhat unfortunate to say the least.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

Maybe people are biased because it’s

not a limited series.

0 time winner at sag/ace/wga/tca/dga/pga.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

Unpopular Opinion: Keaton does not deserve to win, he was lucky his competition never took off. Firth, Garfield and Isaac are the ones who should be sweeping, not him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

Neither Dopesick nor The White Lotus deserved most of their Emmy nominations, half of their cast were not Emmy worthy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The Zone of Interest
    Topics:

Neither Dopesick nor The White Lotus deserved most of their Emmy nominations, half of their cast were not Emmy worthy.

Totally Agree!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Unpopular Opinion: Keaton does not deserve to win, he was lucky his competition never took off. Firth, Garfield and Isaac are the ones who should be sweeping, not him.

I do prefer Firth, Garfield, Isaac and Patel but Keaton was phenomenal on the role and will be a worthy winner.
    It’s a strong lineup with Stan as the weak link, but even him was great in Pam & Tommy.

Emmy winner Matthew Macfadyen!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

Series: The White Lotus (RU: Dopesick)
    Actor: Keaton (RU: Stan)
    Actress: Seyfried (RU: James)
    Supporting Actor: Bartlett (RU: Rogen)
    Supporting Actress: Coolidge (RU: Dever)
    Directing: Dopesick (RU: The White Lotus)
    Writing: The White Lotus (RU: Dopesick)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

I didn’t watch Scenes from a Marriage and couldn’t go past three episodes of Under the Banner of Heaven, but I agree that Firth was better, even though I am fine with Keaton winning.

The thing is the series strenght is too much of a factor in this limited races. It’s just one season, and, on a unlimited ballot, no one is got time to build momentum or retain it if their show bomb. Either you are on a strong show and are nominated and in contention or you aren’t and not gonna get nominated or not be in contention for the win, regardless of the performance.

It’s pretty clear they liked White Lotus and Dopesick a lot, Pam and Tommy and Dropout to some degree, and the others are there without any chance to win anything, which is a shame, cause we could have very interesting races between Seyfried vs. Qualley and Keaton vs. Firth, but both ended when nominations came out, and the supporting ones are relegated to how much the votesplitt will hurt Coolidge and Bartlet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 484 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.