Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 6)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 520 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Setia_Yasmine..
  • Profile picture
    Villeneuve
    Topics:

Seyfried looks AMAZING

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Seyfried looks great, but I don’t know if portraying Holmes as a victim of the circunstances is a good idea.

Does the trailer give that impression though?

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I got a Dopesick vibe from that trailer, but without the same heart or humanity (provided by Keaton and Dever’s subplots). I’m not sure if there’s room for both of these shows.

FYC: Station Eleven in all categories

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m not sure if there’s room for both of these shows.

I’ve been feeling this too. It kind of feels like an Undoing/Mare of Easttown type of situation where we have two shows with the same distributor with very similar genres and subject matters (A list led prestigious murder mystery in The Undoing/Mare‘s case, biopic about an American pharmaceutical scandal in Dopesick/The Dropout‘s case).

I think both Keaton and Seyfried can stand out in spite of this and be unharmed in the lead acting races but I think it will be a hurdle for both of them to get into series.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

The Undoing didn’t do well at the Emmy’s because it was bad lol.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Undoing didn’t do well at the Emmy’s because it was bad lol.

Yet that didn’t stop it from receiving 4 Golden Globe nominations, 2 SAG nominations and PGA and DGA nominations…

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Yet that didn’t stop it from receiving 4 Golden Globe nominations, 2 SAG nominations and PGA and DGA nominations…

The power of little competiton!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I May Destroy You, Little Fires Everywhere, Mrs. America, Normal People, The Queen’s Gambit and Unorthodox were all eligible that season so clearly not lol.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

That kind of contradicts your earlier point 👀

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

That kind of contradicts your earlier point 👀

In what way? My point was that Mare wasn’t the reason The Undoing flopped at the Emmy’s. Just like The Dropout and Dopesick having somewhat similar subject matter won’t be an issue either. I don’t think that’s how voters think.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

My point was that Mare wasn’t the reason The Undoing flopped at the Emmy’s. Just like The Dropout and Dopesick having somewhat similar subject matter won’t be an issue either. I don’t think that’s how voters think.

No one was saying voters will consciously snub one because they like the other more.

The point was that getting nominated for/winning awards is more about timing rather than anything else. The Undoing was the big A list led HBO hit of the season and the first show of its kind in HBO history to grow with each week in its linear viewership without dipping and its strong winter awards haul represented that. But then Mare of Easttown which was also an A list led HBO hit (as well as one that was much more acclaimed and actually stuck the landing in its finale) came along and overshadowed it completely. Likewise in spite of snagging major Golden Globe nominations and wins, Small Axe found it difficult to gain wider industry visibility because it could not attract buzz from that haul when all anyone could talk about was how another auteur driven show about the Black British experience, I May Destroy You, was criminally overlooked.

Both Dopesick and The Dropout can get nominated in series but it’s just as possible that The Dropout could become too big leaving Dopesick as an afterthought in series by the time voting happens. Likewise it’s also just as possible that Dopesick‘s shadow is too strong and The Dropout therefore struggles to take off in series. Both shows share a lot more in common in their subject matters than any of the aforementioned did.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

No one was saying voters will consciously snub one because they like the other more.

The point was that getting nominated for/winning awards is more about timing rather than anything else. The Undoing was the big A list led HBO hit of the season and the first show of its kind in HBO history to grow with each week in its linear viewership without dipping and its strong winter awards haul represented that. But then Mare of Easttown which was also an A list led HBO hit (as well as one that was much more acclaimed and actually stuck the landing in its finale) came along and overshadowed it completely. Likewise in spite of snagging major Golden Globe nominations and wins, Small Axe found it difficult to gain wider industry visibility because it could not attract buzz from that haul when all anyone could talk about was how another auteur driven show about the Black British experience, I May Destroy You, was criminally overlooked.

Both Dopesick and The Dropout can get nominated in series but it’s just as possible that The Dropout could become too big leaving Dopesick as an afterthought in series by the time voting happens. Likewise it’s also just as possible that Dopesick‘s shadow is too strong and The Dropout therefore struggles to take off in series. Both shows share a lot more in common in their subject matters than any of the aforementioned did.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree then because I don’t think The Undoing and Small Axe missed out on Emmy recognition due to Mare and I May Destroy You’s existence, respectively. I don’t think any one show can be attributed as the reason another show misses.

If The Dropout gets in series and Dopesick doesn’t, I think it will be because voters preferred 5 other shows over it and not just the one. I also don’t think they’re so similar in subject matter, or at least in how they’re told. The Dropout seems to me like more of a character piece on a woman who’s lies and delusions spiraled out of control resulting in losing everything and actually being convicted of crimes. Dopesick was more about the grand scale of opioids and how it affected so many lives. I think they’d be more similar if Dopesick wasn’t such an ensemble driven show, like if it was more focused on Stuhlbarg’s character.

The only case where I can see two shows directly affecting each other’s Emmy chances is actually next year with the two Candy Montgomery projects since they’re literally about the same exact thing.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

And about that, I feel like Elizabeth Olsen’s HBO Max Candy Montgomery series is going to have a bit more momentum than Jessica Biel’s at Hulu. It’s a shame Elisabeth Moss left the latter.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    Villeneuve
    Topics:

And about that, I feel like Elizabeth Olsen’s HBO Max Candy Montgomery series is going to have a bit more momentum than Jessica Biel’s at Hulu. It’s a shame Elisabeth Moss left the latter.

OMG is that coming out this season? That’s one of my most anticipated

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

OMG is that coming out this season? That’s one of my most anticipated

the 2023 season it will be released in summer i guess

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.