Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 7)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 505 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
JV
  • Profile picture
    Ultraww17
    Topics:

I think jessica and oscar still have a shot if they do more interviews and things they could get nominations and maybe win. The emotion in the show was very real.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I mean, if it wasn’t big last year when there was next to no competition it was up against, why would it suddenly be super buzzy now? And I don’t think actor is as much of a wasteland this year as it has been in previous years too. Keaton alone would still be preventing Isaac from winning if Scenes came out in the spring.

The White Lotus was released in August and it’s still very much the frontrunner with a very fair shot at two acting wins. The problem with Scenes From a Marriage is that not only is a remake of the work by one of the greatest directors of all time, but also a very tough watch (in terms of pacing and tone). The show hasn’t crossed 20k votes on IMDB.

I think there’s been a bit of a misunderstanding here (which is ok). I was saying that the show aired too late (rather than early) and that had it come out last Spring (which it seemed like it could have been ready to do so) during the last Emmy cycle, both of its leads would at least have stood a chance considering how much of a wasteland last Spring was in buzzy television releases outside of Mare and Hacks and how barren that actor field was (which neither this year’s limited/movie actor field nor the SAG one that Isaac made were as much).

I also want to clarify that I wasn’t suggesting that it’s impossible for shows to premiere early and still be buzzy contenders (as has been pointed out above with The White Lotus) but more that scheduling does make a difference. Regardless of whether Chastain would have been nominated during last year’s Emmy cycle or Isaac would have stood a chance at winning, both of them would have at least been in the conversation (regardless of whether Scenes From a Marriage would have garner more buzz than it did in September or not) because of airing closer to the Emmy voting period just like people like Uzo Aduba were in the conversation last season because of having more recency than other contenders and the field being weaker than usual.

Now neither of Chastain and Isaac stand a chance because of how packed the slate in Spring releases is and because the show aired too late and was already an after-thought by the time the winter awards started voting.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    a spoonful of sugar
    Topics:

I know it’s not exactly the point but Jess Chastain has her Oscar nomination and Oscar Isaac has Moon Knight coming up (with the push starting soon, he’s hosting SNL on the 5th) so they’ll both be fine if they wind up missing for SFAM at the Emmys. Glad that Oscar got into GG and SAG with SFAM so he didn’t go unnoticed for that performance before MK takes center stage, but still bummed that Jessica missed SAG for it.

Profile picture
    starklinson
    Topics:

Andrew Garfield being nominated for both an oscar and emmy we love to see that i hope he does like olivia coleman and wins the emmy from keaton

he could also get a 2023 Grammy nomination for the TTB soundtrack

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

he could also get a 2023 Grammy nomination for the TTB soundtrack

Wow, I didn’t realize how linear the path to Garfield getting an EGOT could possibly be. The Tony is arguably the hardest of the acronym to get, so he’s already started off very well. I could also see him getting those Emmy and Grammy wins we’re speaking of. It also shouldn’t be long until he gets a role that gets him the Oscar, if he keeps getting good work.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    almanzarlamarcarlile
    Topics:

Wow, I didn’t realize how linear the path to Garfield getting an EGOT could possibly be. The Tony is arguably the hardest of the acronym to get, so he’s already started off very well. I could also see him getting those Emmy and Grammy wins we’re speaking of. It also shouldn’t be long until he gets a role that gets him the Oscar, if he keeps getting good work.

Nah, Encanto’s almost certainly beating TTB.

Still, emmy oscar and grammy noms in less than a year is a major accomplishment.

Emmy Actings FYCs:
    Comedy: Bill Hader & Quinta Brunson
    Drama: Jeremy Strong & Britt Lower
    Limited: Couldn't care less

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

wait i always thought the oscar was the hardest to get since there aren’t many categories

Profile picture
    alouise86
    Topics:

wait i always thought the oscar was the hardest to get since there aren’t many categories

I don’t think there’s an actual statistic, but I feel like winning a Tony is just harder to do for a number of reasons. First and foremost, not all film actors succeed on Broadway. Andrew got his start on the West End in plays, so it’s not shocking that he ultimately won a Tony for arguably one of the most challenging roles. But I don’t think all film actors necessarily have the same track record (Bruce Willis in 2015’s Misery was… horrible, Julia Roberts was apparently not very good in Three Days of Rain, the list goes on).

Secondly, just as there are few acting categories at the Academy Awards, there are also just not that many lead roles available on Broadway during any given season, especially in new shows. There is usually one or two, maybe three, plays that open each season that are considered “star vehicles” – notably, this season, it’s American Buffalo with Lawrence Fishburn, Sam Rockwell, and Darren Criss – but there are only so many theaters.

Either way, I think he’s on track for EGOT within the next 10 years or less, if he plays his cards right.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Re Scenes etc, I think it’s probably important to note that it’s easy to forget how uncertain lead times were at the time. Scenes, In Treatment, and The White Lotus were probably things they knew they could get out and make safely and get just enough viewership for in a weak cycle.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Just watched the trailer for The First Lady.

Putting Pfeiffer at #1.(because why the hell not!) I am determined to have an Oscar winner as my No.#1 in Lead Actress (Limited) and I’ve observed that the winners are usually those actresses whose return/entry into television from films is well appreciated. Pfeiffer is a legend and I can see this be her crowning moment (she really hasn’t won anything which is unfortunate) but there are two major hesitations:

(1) Assuming all three of Pfeiffer, Davis and Anderson go Lead, I still think that atleast two *might* get nominated and if they do, I see vote split.

(2) Showtime

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    starklinson
    Topics:

Either way, I think he’s on track for EGOT within the next 10 years or less, if he plays his cards right.

if he does more UK projects, he could also have a hypothetical path to a triple crown. He’s already been nominated for all three and won 1/3.

Profile picture
    fvg627
    Topics:

Re Scenes From a Marriage… I just finished it and I have to say, as long as voters are watching, how can either Jess or Oscar miss? They’re absolutely outstanding, even just in episode 1 if voters stop there. I wonder if the Chastain SAG miss can be explained by voters already having voted for her in Tammy Faye?

Profile picture
    Ultraww17
    Topics:

Re Scenes From a Marriage… I just finished it and I have to say, as long as voters are watching, how can either Jess or Oscar miss? They’re absolutely outstanding, even just in episode 1 if voters stop there. I wonder if the Chastain SAG miss can be explained by voters already having voted for her in Tammy Faye?

Probably thats why she didnt get in for limited series. If marriage story (it was okay but similar to sfam)  got to the oscars how could scenes from a marriage completely miss the emmys? Jessica also has a new limited series george and tammy (idk if it’ll come out in time though)

Profile picture
    JRJ8990
    Topics:

I’m confused regarding the rules of Limited Series and continuing characters. Isn’t The White Lotus going to be submitted as a comedy series since one of the main characters (Jennifer Coolidge’s) will be a part of Season 2? Or will she be playing a different character?

Profile picture
    fvg627
    Topics:

I’m confused regarding the rules of Limited Series and continuing characters. Isn’t The White Lotus going to be submitted as a comedy series since one of the main characters (Jennifer Coolidge’s) will be a part of Season 2? Or will she be playing a different character?

I was wondering this as well. I didn’t even put white lotus in my predictions yet because I’m pretty sure it’s going to have to switch categories (?)

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.