Home Forums Television Emmys – Writing and Directing 2022

Emmys – Writing and Directing 2022

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 340 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
probablyROB
Manav
  • Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Shows that one Directing for their first Seasons: bold occurrences without any other ATL win

• The Handmaid’s Tale (2017) (Also won Writing, Series, 2 Acting)
    • True Detective (2014)
    • House of Cards (2013)
    • Boardwalk Empire (2011)
    • Lost (2005) (Also won Series)
    • Deadwood (2004)
    • Six Feet Under (2002)
    • The West Wing (200) (Also won Series, Writing, 2 Acting)

This has occurred 5 times in the past 21 years, so unless you are predicting it to also win Writing, Acting, or Series, it’s highly unlikely.

Squid Game is also in its first season, and is win competitive in TWO acting categories. It’s won a Golden Globe, Critic’s Choice, and Two SAG Awards.

So Severance has a good precedent! 5 seems a fair number (especially considering most of the other winners were shows that won Directing for their first seasons and then won again)

And it can totally win another BLT award… Writing maybe? Of course that one is highly unlikely because Succession has all the reasons and more to win it, but not impossible. Severance is most likely winning a WGA later next year anyway.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

I don’t think anyone doubts Severance can do well or that it will probably be nominated in series, writing, directing and maybe some of the actors and btl, but there is no data to call it a lock anywhere or put it on the same level as a two time Emmy and WGA winner or as a runner up ahead of Squid Game. At this point, those are all hopedictions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

2002: Six Feet Under defeats Series winner The West Wing in Directing. Also has 7 Acting nominations, including 4 Lead Acting Nominations. HBO is network.

2004: Deadwood wins Directing despite not being nominated for Series, only getting nominations for 1 Acting Performance and Writing. HBO is network.

2011: Boardwalk Empire wins Directing with only 1 Acting nom and a Series nom. Directing by Martin Scorsese. HBO is network.

2013: House of Cards wins Directing with nominations for Series, and 2 Acting nominations. Directed by David Fincher. Netflix is network.

2014: True Detective wins directed with nominations in Series, 2 Acting noms, 1 Writing Nom. HBO is network

this hasn’t happened in almost 8 years. in those 7 ceremonies, Directing has gone to the Series winner 5 times.

in 2018, a solo nom for The Crown defeats a Game of Thrones double-nomination. in 2019, a solo nom for Ozark defeats a Game of Thrones triple-nomination.

Letterboxd: Brayfers

Multi-Grammy Winning Artist - Olivia Rodrigo

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

FYC:
    - Squid Game
    - Severance
    - This Is Us
    - Stranger Things
    - Reservation Dogs

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I don’t think anyone would be shocked if Severance won directing, writing, and series. Not saying it’s a lock to win in any of the categories(although, I feel pretty strongly it will win writing or directing at the very least) I can’t remember a freshman show with even that level of appreciation in Drama. Homeland is the only recent drama that comes to mind with that kind of support and general perception in the first season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

At this point, I honestly would be less shocked if Inventing Anna wins limited series.

Drama series is not an open race, we have a clear frontrunner that won series, directing, writing, editing, casting and lead actor the last time it was up for it and is coming this year fresh from winning literally every precursor, for anything else to come and take all three major awards would be the definition of a shock.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

I don’t think anyone would be shocked if Severance won directing, writing, and series. Not saying it’s a lock to win in any of the categories(although, I feel pretty strongly it will win writing or directing at the very least) I can’t remember a freshman show with even that level of appreciation in Drama. Homeland is the only recent drama that comes to mind with that kind of support and general perception in the first season.

Handmaid’s Tale. Even Stranger Things.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Yup. Even Westworld S1

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I don’t think anyone doubts Severance can do well or that it will probably be nominated in series, writing, directing and maybe some of the actors and btl, but there is no data to call it a lock anywhere or put it on the same level as a two time Emmy and WGA winner or as a runner up ahead of Squid Game. At this point, those are all hopedictions.

Well, where’s the data that says it can’t be on the same level as those shows? Because I’ve seen arguments for why Succession and Squid Game are strong but nothing about why Severance isn’t or can’t be. And those are two wholly different things.

Half the game is intuitive when it comes to spring debuts anyway. If we agree Severance can do well then there shouldn’t be a problem when people actually predict it to, well, do well.

And as someone who hasn’t even completed the Severance pilot, one thing this isn’t is hopedicting I assure you.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Handmaid’s Tale is a good call. Don’t know that I agree with Stranger Things or Westworld which to me both seemed to have very niche audiences about fairly ubiquitous subject matter thematically speaking. But maybe that is my own bubble bias speaking. I personally would have been shocked if either of them won any of those categories. Like in a sense it never even entered my mind they had a chance even after getting nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

Well, where’s the data that says it can’t be on the same level as those shows? Because I’ve seen arguments for why Succession and Squid Game are strong but nothing about why Severance isn’t or can’t be. And those are two wholly different things.

Half the game is intuitive when it comes to spring debuts anyway. If we agree Severance can do well then there shouldn’t be a problem when people actually predict it to, well, do well.

And as someone who hasn’t even completed the Severance pilot, one thing this isn’t is hopedicting I assure you.

There is no data that says Severance can or can’t be on the same level as any other show and that is why I am disputing it getting called a lock or the runner up, since, to make those claims, you need some level of certainty that can’t be provided by a show that is untested.

That said, you can claim it is the frontrunner, the new Angels in a America if you want, there is no problem with that, and anybody here can present their argumments as to why they disagree with your statement, thats all I did.

Now, if anyone disagrees, they can present their argumments as to why, at this point of the race, Severance is a lock anywhere or a threat to Succession and I will gladly read and share my opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    123456grace
    Topics:

The television programmes that stand out among their peers as being very good are honoured with Primetime Emmy Awards. According to TIME, the award’s name, Emmy, is a play on the Immy, or a camera tube, which was used to record early television programmes before a substantial advance in broadcast technology. The Emmys are a ceremony that honours American television in a number of categories, including writing, directing, and everything from acting to animation.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    123456grace
    Topics:

According to TIME, the award’s name, Emmy, is a play on the Immy, or a camera tube, which was used to record early television programmes before a substantial advance in broadcast technology. The Emmys are a ceremony that honours American television in a number of categories, including writing, directing, and everything from acting to animation.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Handmaid’s Tale is a good call. Don’t know that I agree with Stranger Things or Westworld which to me both seemed to have very niche audiences about fairly ubiquitous subject matter thematically speaking. But maybe that is my own bubble bias speaking. I personally would have been shocked if either of them won any of those categories. Like in a sense it never even entered my mind they had a chance even after getting nominated.

I definitely think it’s your bubble bias speaking. The first seasons of Stranger Things and Westworld generated far more discussion than Severance has this year. They were up against what turned out to be a massive industry hit in THT, and didn’t have the benefit of airing in Spring. Severance currently appears to be win competitive in the context of this awards season, but I don’t think that speaks to some kind of unparalleled level of appreciation among freshman dramas.

FYC: Station Eleven in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I don’t think that speaks to some kind of unparalleled level of appreciation among freshman dramas.

Severance appears strong (though, as people have pointed out, largely untested) but I don’t think it’s in a matter that’s unprecedented. Those shows also broke through in a year where previous winners were non factors.

I appreciate the confidence of people on here but honestly, I think a good result is……..getting in above the line in a few crucial places with a view to grow (see also: Yellowjackets) It’s season 1.

I have it getting nominated in several places mostly on the basis of the board because I don’t quite trust my judgement on it, I haven’t connected to it the way others here have yet which isn’t a thing I can manufacture.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

The thing with Severance is whether it peaks before voting is closed. The first season of The Great got writing and directing and voters were just discovering it. I believe it would’ve done better if there was more time. I do think Severance is in a better position, peaking  just in time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 340 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.