Home Forums Television Emmys – Writing and Directing 2022

Emmys – Writing and Directing 2022

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 340 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
probablyROB
Manav
  • Profile picture
    EviAdd711
    Topics:

Comedy Writing 1. Lucia Aniello, Paul W. Downs and Jen Statsky for Hacks 2. Alec Berg and Bill Hader for Barry (“Forgiving Jeff”) 3. Quinta Brunson for Abbott Elementary (“Pilot”) 4. Steve Martin and John Hoffman for Only Murders in the Building (“True Crime”) 5. Stephen Glover for Atlanta (“Three Slaps”) 6. Stephen Markley and Ben Philippe for Only Murders in the Building (“The Boy From 6B”) 7. Sterlin Harjo and Taika Waititi for Reservation Dogs (“F*ckin’ Rez Dogs”) 8. Sam Johnson, Stefani Robinson, Marika Sawyer and Paul Simms for What We Do in the Shadows (“A Farewell”) 9. Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider for The Other Two (“Brooke and Carey Go to a Fashion Show”) 10. Jamie Lee for Ted Lasso (“Man City”) Comedy Directing 1. Bill Hader for Barry (“Forgiving Jeff”) 2. Lucia Aniello for Hacks 3. MJ Delaney for Ted Lasso (“No Weddings and a Funeral”) 4. Oz Rodriguez for Kevin Can F*** Himself (“Living the Dream”) 5. Alec Berg for Barry (“Ben Mendelsohn”) 6. Declan Lowney for Ted Lasso (“Inverting the Pyramid of Success”) 7. Randall Einhorn for Abbott Elementary (“Pilot”) 8. Amy Sherman-Palladino for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (“How Do We Get to Carnegie Hall?”) 9. Silver Tree for The Flight Attendant (“Seeing Double”) 10. Jamie Babbit for Only Murders in the Building (“True Crime”) Drama Writing 1. Jesse Armstrong for Succession (“All the Bells Say”) 2. Dan Erickson for Severance (“Good News About Hell”) 3. Chris Mundy for Ozark (“A Hard Way to Go”) 4. Dong-hyuk Hwang for Squid Game (“Gganbu”) 5. Thomas Schnauz for Better Call Saul (“Plan and Execution”) 6. Ashley Lyle and Bart Nickerson for Yellowjackets (“Pilot”) 7. Miki Johnson for Ozark (“Sanctified”) 8. Gordon Smith for Better Call Saul (“Rock and Hard Place”) 9. Peter Gould for Better Call Saul (“Wine and Roses”) 10. Michael Waldron for Loki (“Pilot”) Drama Directing 1. Dong-hyuk Hwang for Squid Game (“Gganbu”) 2. Mark Mylod for Succession (“All the Bells Say”) 3. Jason Bateman for Ozark (“A Hard Way to Go”) 4. Ben Stiller for Severance (“Good News About Hell”) 5. Andrij Parekh for Succession (“What It Takes”) 6. Lorene Scafaria for Succession (“Too Much Birthday”) 7. Robin Wright for Ozark (“Sanctified”) 8. Karyn Kusama for Yellowjackets (“Pilot”) 9. Stephen Kay for Yellowstone (“Half the Money”) 10. The Duffer Brothers for Stranger Things (“The Hellfire Club”) Limited/Movie Writing 1. Mike White for The White Lotus 2. Molly Smith Metzler for Maid (“Dollar Store”) 3. Danny Strong for Dopesick (“The People vs Purdue Pharma”) 4. Antonio Campos for The Staircase (“911”) 5. Emily Kaczmarek and Craig Shilowich for The Staircase (“Common Sense”) 6. The Staircase (“America’s Sweetheart or: Time Over Time”) 7. Patrick Somerville for Station Eleven (“Wheel of Fire”) 8. Dustin Lance Black for Under the Banner of Heaven (“When God Was Love”) 9. Elizabeth Meriwether and Sofya Levitsky-Weitz for The Dropout (“Lizzy”) 10. David Simon and George Pelecanos for We Own This City (“Part One”) Limited/Movie Directing 1. Barry Levinson for Dopesick (“First Bottle”) 2. Mike White for The White Lotus 3. Danny Strong for Dopesick (“The People vs Purdue Pharma”) 4. Antonio Campos for The Staircase (“911”) 5. Leigh Janiak for The Staircase (“The Beating Heart”) 6. Hiro Murai for Station Eleven (“Wheel of Fire”) 7. John Wells for Maid (“Dollar Store”) 8. Michael Showalter for The Dropout (“I’m in a Hurry”) 9. David Mackenzie for Under the Banner of Heaven (“When God Was Love”) 10. Dustin Lance Black for Under the Banner of Heaven (“One Mighty and Strong”)

Happy to see you back! (If it’s good for you) 😊

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Not having Atlanta in your top 10 for Comedy directing is insane to me. It’s still very popular with its audience. Even the people who hate the stand alone episodes love episodes that aren’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FNLlove
    Topics:

What are your LOCKS in drama and comedy writing and directing?

Mine: (I only follow Drama)

Drama LOCKS Directing:

Mark Mylod, Succession

Dong-hyuk Hwang, Squid Game

Ben Stiller, Severance

Jason Bateman, Ozark

Drama LOCKS Writing:

Dan Erickson, Severance

Jesse Armstrong, Succession

Dong-hyuk Hwang, Squid Game

Chris Mundy, Ozark

Thomas Schnauz, Better Call Saul

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What are your LOCKS in drama and comedy writing and directing?

I’ll just preface that I usually consider very few contenders in these writing and directing categories locked for nominations at this stage and that there will be some glaring omissions from my list and that’s not because I don’t think they’ll not get nominated but because, whilst very likely nominees, I don’t feel they’re as “secure” as some of these other contenders in my predictions.

Comedy directing locks:

– Lucia Aniello for Hacks
    – MJ Delaney for Ted Lasso (“No Weddings and a Funeral”)
    – Bill Hader for Barry (“Forgiving Jeff”)

Comedy writing locks:

– Lucia Aniello, Paul W. Downs and Jen Statsky for Hacks
    – Alec Berg and Bill Hader for Barry (“Forgiving Jeff”)

Drama directing locks:

– Jason Bateman for Ozark (“A Hard Way to Go”)
    – Dong-hyuk Hwang for Squid Game (“Red Light, Green Light”)
    – Mark Mylod for Succession (“All the Bells Say”)
    – Ben Stiller for Severance (“The We We Are”)

Drama writing locks:

– Jesse Armstrong for Succession (“All the Bells Say”)
    – Dan Erickson for Severance (“The We We Are”)
    – Chris Mundy for Ozark (“A Hard Way to Go”)
    – Thomas Schnauz for Better Call Saul (“Plan and Execution”)

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Drama directing locks: – Dong-hyuk Hwang for Squid Game (“Red Light, Green Light”) – Mark Mylod for Succession (“All the Bells Say”) – Ben Stiller for Severance (“The We We Are”) Drama writing locks: – Jesse Armstrong for Succession (“All the Bells Say”) – Dan Erickson for Severance (“The We We Are”) – Thomas Schnauz for Better Call Saul (“Plan and Execution”)

Why not Ozark also?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

It’s difficult to speculate when we have no clue what will be submitted. I don’t think Forgiving Jeff is a lock if they also submit any of the other episodes. I don’t think Forgiving Jeff is anywhere close to the best written or directed episode this season so far so having it as a lock seems like a stretch. Unless they already released their submissions and I missed it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Almond
    Topics:

There should be a submissions prediction center lmao

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Why not Ozark also?

If I’m honest I completely forgot  about Ozark! I’ll edit it into my post. I do think the reception to this season being a bit cooler compared to the last puts it in a position that’s lower than each of the other aforementioned contenders in drama writing and directing so I guess I don’t feel as “secure” about it as them. However its record with both writing and directing branches and its overall visibility and prominence in the drama series race puts it in a position that is substantially stronger than the remaining competitors.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s difficult to speculate when we have no clue what will be submitted. I don’t think Forgiving Jeff is a lock if they also submit any of the other episodes. I don’t think Forgiving Jeff is anywhere close to the best written or directed episode this season so far so having it as a lock seems like a stretch. Unless they already released their submissions and I missed it.

I think there’s a little bit of a misunderstanding here which is partly on my part with the way I formatted my post. I wasn’t implying that “Forgiving Jeff” as an episode is locked to get nominated but more that a directing nod for Hader and a writing nod for Hader and Berg is all but certain at this point. I only have “Forgiving Jeff” as a tentative submission for both of the until we get ballots.

I’m actually curious to see what they do submit this time round (they are only allowed to submit once each). Last year they submitted “ronny/lily” but there isn’t an episode that’s as much of a standout (in buzz) as that one was so I wonder if they don’t end up going for the premiere if they just go for the finale.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Last year they submitted “ronny/lily” but there isn’t an episode that’s as much of a standout (in buzz) as that one was so I wonder if they don’t end up going for the premiere if they just go for the finale.

Reading reviews, I got the sense that tomorrow’s episode is this season’s ronny/lily.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I think there’s a little bit of a misunderstanding here which is partly on my part with the way I formatted my post. I wasn’t implying that “Forgiving Jeff” as an episode is locked to get nominated but more that a directing nod for Hader and a writing nod for Hader and Berg is all but certain at this point. I only have “Forgiving Jeff” as a tentative submission for both of the until we get ballots.

Fair enough. I agree that Barry is a lock to be nominated in writing and directing this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FNLlove
    Topics:

As a big Severance fan, I’m happy to see that others (especially someone as knowledgeable as wolfali) have it in as a lock for directing and writing. I’m definitely not sure it’s a lock for Series, which bums me out, but hopeful that it will, at least, be nominated in these categories!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

Comedy Directing:

• Kevin Can F*ck Himself
    • Hacks
    • Barry
    • Barry
    • Ted Lasso
    • Only Murders in the Building

Drama Directing:

• Succession
    • Succession
    • Succession
    • Severance
    • Squid Game
    • Ozark

Comedy Writing:

• Ted Lasso
    • Hacks
    • Barry
    • Abbott Elementary
    • What We Do in the Shadows
    • What We Do in the Shadows

Drama Writing:

• Succession
    • Succession
    • Squid Game
    • Severance
    • Ozark
    • Better Call Saul

Letterboxd: Brayfers

Multi-Grammy Winning Artist - Olivia Rodrigo

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

FYC:
    - Squid Game
    - Severance
    - This Is Us
    - Stranger Things
    - Reservation Dogs

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Barry 3.06 for Directing, please!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FNLlove
    Topics:

I’ll be interested to see what each show submits. Does anyone know (about) when we’ll see ballots?
    For Severance (my fav) I’m assuming the finale will be submitted by Stiller for directing. I wonder if they’ll submit for Aiofe Mcardle or if she’ll submit, and if so, which episode.
    Harder call on writing. I’m sure they submitted for Erickson as the Creator. The Pilot would be the normal go-to but the finale was so well received that I wonder if they’ll go that route. Do you think they entered multiple episodes or too much of a risk of vote splitting?

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 340 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.