Home Forums Television Golden Globes 2023 – TV Predictions

Golden Globes 2023 – TV Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 546 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
mariogomez

• jjjmoss
    Topics:

Supporting Actor Comedy/Drama Tyler James Williams – Abbott Elementary (Winner)

even though it’s reduced competition, i’m doubtful.

last 40 years, 3 comedy performances won supporting.

Sir Shaw
    Topics:

The Globes throwing a random nom to Joseph Quinn wouldn’t be really surprising.

A nom for Quinn would shock me with this alleged reformed Globes. Sure he’s a popular breakout but it’s not actually because his performance was seen a great triumph and the HFPA haven’t thrown out nominations in the supporting categories willy-nilly without the goods to back it up since the early 2010s with Scott Caan for the Hawaii Five-O reboot, Danny Huston for Magic City and Rob Lowe for Behind the Candleabra. Of course one could argue Cynthia Nixon for Ratched in 2020 also fits the bill as well but she’s an Oscar away from EGOT-ing and the show still received an Emmy nomination for acting.

Two acting nominations from Stranger Things I do think we should keep an eye on though are Sadie Sink and Caleb McLaughlin. The former had arguably the most culturally penetrative moment of the year (Kate Bush is still in top twenty on the Global 200 chart 5 months later) and given how some have called her an Emmys snub, we have occasionally seen the HFPA like to right their wrongs Monica Potter, Andrew Scott). And if Fraser and Chau do end up as nominees for The Whale, this would be a nice way to get the core cast members to event as a nominated trio. The latter was highly praised for his performance in the second volume of S2 (especially in the finale) and assuming Sink does end up as a nominee, why wouldn’t they also go for her main screen partner whose performance was just as acclaimed as hers. And if the HFPA has truly reformed, I think they would show this with a symbolic olive branch to an acclaimed yet overlooked cast member, whom has been making press recently about how racism from the fanbase is why he/his character are the least popular/with the fewest following among the main cast. Pretty sure they would want also love brownie points for being only the second major televised awards to nominate him as a solo performer after the NAACP Image Awards five years ago (and no, I’m not including the Peoples, Teen or Kids Choice awards here).

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

name in a show I’m predicting to do well here who also got an Emmy nod. But then again it just feels weird to predict House of the Dragon and Barry to perform so well here when the Globes aren’t usually so high on genre and the latter. Maybe I should just throw logic out of the window here lmao.

Unsure of whether it’s helpful but the shows highlighted on the HFPA website are (by streamer order). Some food for thought because I can see some of those having broader global appeal and/or working better with older audiences.

Notably no Rings of Power but it is noted on their Comic Con podcast.

Apple TV – Loot

BBC America: Killing Eve

BET – The Black Hamptons (I was like huh? But it may have good international distribution I guess)

Disney+ – She Hulk, Obi Wan, Moon Knight, Ms Marvel

HBO – House of The Dragon, Gentleman Jack, Irma Vep

FX/Hulu – Conversations with Friends, The Patient, The Old Man, Pistol

Freevee: Sprung (this actually has great reviews and user scores)

Netflix – Wednesday, The Sandman, Stranger Things,  Bridgerton, Inventing Anna, All of Us Are Dead, Midnight at the Pera Palace

Showtime: American Gigolo

jjjmoss
    Topics:

All of Us Are Dead

Globe nom for Emmy winner Lee Yoo-mi!

Couverture
    Topics:

Comedy/Drama Supporting Actor

– Jonny Lee Miller, The Crown
    – Jonathan Pryce, The Crown
    – Matt Smith, House of the Dragon
    – John Turturro, Severance
    – Henry Winkler, Barry

Comedy/Drama Supporting Actress

– Patricia Arquette, Severance
    – Ayo Edebiri, The Bear
    – Janelle James, Abbott Elementary
    – Lesley Manville, The Crown
    – Sheryl Lee Ralph, Abbott Elementary

Limited/Movie Supporting Actor

– Paul Walter Hauser, Black Bird
    – Tom Hollander, The White Lotus : Sicily
    – Michael Imperioli, The White Lotus: Sicily
    – Richard Jenkins, Monster : The Jeffrey Dahmer Story
    – Seth Rogen, Pam & Tommy

Limited/Movie Supporting Actress

– Daisy Edgar-Jones, Under the Banner of Heaven
    – Lizzy Caplan, Fleishman is in Trouble
    – Jennifer Coolidge, The White Lotus : Sicily
    – Niecy Nash, Monster : The Jeffrey Dahmer Story
    – Aubrey Plaza, The White Lotus : Sicily

A Negroni. Sbagliato. With Prosecco in it.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Country of Origin by voters. Make of it what you will:

Italy, Japan – 11

Germany – 10

Brazil, Mexico – 9

Nigeria, Israel, France – 7

Australia, UK– 6

Argentina, Canada, Belgium – 5

Greece, Phillipines, Spain, Netherlands, Switzerland, Dominican Republic – 4

Finland, Poland, Turkey, Austria  – 3

Denmark, Egypt, Hungary, India, Ireland, Kenya, Norway, Russia, Belarus, Singapore, South Africa, Ukraine, Uruguay– 2

New Zealand, Czech Republic, Lithuania, Ukraine, Chile, China, Paraguay, Peru, Romania, Slovakia, South Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan, UAE, Venezuela, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Bulgaria, Colombia, Croatia, Ecuador, French Polynesia, Georgia, Ghana, Korea, Kyrgystan, Latvia, Uzbekistan – 1

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Globe nom for Emmy winner Lee Yoo-mi!

Honestly would be one of the coolest things the Globes could do (and in my delusional dream world, noms for Cho Yi-hyun, Yoon Chan-young and Yoo In-soo as well).

In all serious, Netflix would probably appreciate something like AOUAD getting Globes than practically any other show, as both vindication and a larger incentive in their current push into regional programming and how that can now more of an added value (and be successful outside of those local markets) than whatever 1 season megabucks megaflop they’ll commission.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Honestly would be one of the coolest things the Globes could do (and in my delusional dream world, noms for Cho Yi-hyun, Yoon Chan-young and Yoo In-soo as well).

I think if we look at that lineup and if we take the HFPA at their word (emphasis on if) a lot of things could happen. Certain stuff just does not translate and other stuff just does, for reasons that don’t always make sense until you realise the show has terrible distribution or someone is disproportionately popular in one region for some reason.

Aziz Sliti
    Topics:

I’m still confident that Paddy Considine is better than Matt Smith so far .

Reis
    Topics:

Agree. If one of them will get a nomination, I think it will be Considine.

NSULABR
    Topics:

Kind of a long shot, not sure if she will be lead or supporting, but does anyone else think Reba McEntire could get in for Big Sky for playing a character so uncharacteristic for her? She chews every scene she is in and has made the show watchable.

ejaru1810
    Topics:

I haven’t seen the last episode but in the first half, Smith does absolutely nothing to be considered better than Considine. Paddy has been killing it since the pilot.

RR1989
    Topics:

With Ted Lasso‘s exclusion from the Apple TV+’s announcement about forthcoming Fall premieres, I might as well update my nomination predictions in categories where I initially predicted it to be included.

Best TV Series – Musical or Comedy
    Abbott Elementary
    Barry
    The Bear
    Hacks
    Only Murders in the Building

Best Actor in a TV Series – Musical or Comedy
    Bill Hader – Barry
    Steve Martin – Only Murders in the Building
    Martin Short – Only Murders in the Building
    Jeremy Allen White – The Bear
    Ramy Youssef – Ramy

Best Supporting Actor in a Television Series (Musical/Comedy or Drama)
    Matt Smith – House of the Dragon
    John Turturro – Severance
    Christopher Walken – Severance
    Tyler James Williams – Abbott Elementary
    Henry Winkler – Barry

Best Supporting Actress in a Television Series (Musical/Comedy or Drama)
    Patricia Arquette – Severance
    Hannah Einbinder – Hacks
    Janelle James – Abbott Elementary
    Lesley Manville – The Crown
    Sheryl Lee Ralph – Abbott Elementary

wolfali
    Topics:

I love how Michelle Dockery is 6th in the odds in the new limited/movie supporting actress category just because she’s Michelle Dockery. Iconic behaviour 👏.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

mariogomez
    Topics:

I don’t like that Globes added two new supporting categories because probably there Will be no surprises. Because Globes usually pick good performances rather than the emmys that usually are name check. But let’s see, I hope they’ll continue to surprise us.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 546 total)

The topic ‘Golden Globes 2023 – TV Predictions’ is closed to new replies.