Home Forums Television Golden Globes 2023 – TV Predictions

Golden Globes 2023 – TV Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 546 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
mariogomez

• FNLlove
    Topics:

I won’t count it out as a winner but I’m not sure if I can see it winning without Considine winning actor. Granted things may be different now there are genre split supporting categories but the Globes have rarely ever just done a supporting + series combo. It’s always a lead acting one + series (à la Succession seasons 2 and 3) or just a lone series award (à la The Americans). Considine’s performance is at the crux of the show’s acclaim and he’s a very well respected character actor so if the show is winning series it should be able to bring him along for the ride. I think if we end up with a lineup of Scott, Zendaya, Smith and Debicki winning the drama categories that Severance will probably just triumph in the end.

As it very well should! Series of the year by far in my opinion.

It’s so fascinating how the different bodies vote. I think Scott came in last (or close to it) at the Emmys but I definitely think he’s (deservedly) winning here. I also think Lower will grab a nom here.

JV
    Topics:

Just read all the responses to my predictions and I might say I agree with them a lot. Didn’t really think much about GOT not winning at the GG, but Severance getting blanked at the Emmys doesn’t give me much confidence that it has gone mainstream enough to win awards

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I think the new members could be quite beneficial for Severance. With the new 100+ members being actual critics and not just journalists, and several of them are also members of FIPRESCI.

They were already going into a more high brow direction last year compared to usual, and I think we could see a lot more of that this year.

adriandecker770
    Topics:

The fact that The Underground Railroad managed to win at the Globes last year despite not winning at the Emmys makes me more confident that Severance can do the same

wolfali
    Topics:

It’s interesting because I definitely feel the same but I think what can really help Severance is if it tops the aggregate. You could argue the Amazon and Barry Jenkins of it all helped tip The Underground Railroad over the edge last year but I think the reason it really managed to win here (and at DGA) over Mare of Easttown was because it was ultimately the most acclaimed limited series of the year and the other contenders weren’t particularly that much stronger. I can see something similar with Severance where it takes the Globe and DGA whilst The Crown/House of the Dragon takes everything else (although I really don’t see either of those two shows winning WGA like Mare did).

What I think does hurt it though is that I can see a world where Severance is not the clear critics favourite and we end up with a Bohemian Rhapsody/Andra Day esque situation where something random wins due to a lack of consensus.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

It’s interesting because I definitely feel the same but I think what can really help Severance is if it tops the aggregate. You could argue the Amazon and Barry Jenkins of it all helped tip The Underground Railroad over the edge last year but I think the reason it really managed to win here (and at DGA) over Mare of Easttown was because it was ultimately the most acclaimed limited series of the year and the other contenders weren’t particularly that much stronger.

In hindsight, it was quite obvious considering how much they adore both Amazon and Jenkins. 4 Series prizes and 8 acting prizes in 8 years for Prime shows, and they were only major award show to both award Moonlight and nominate Beale Street for their top Film prize.

wolfali
    Topics:

In hindsight, it was quite obvious considering how much they adore both Amazon and Jenkins. 4 Series prizes and 8 acting prizes in 8 years for Prime shows, and they were only major award show to both award Moonlight and nominate Beale Street for their top Series prize.

Qualley was also never winning over Winslet and they also snubbed both Evan Peters and Julianne Nicholson for Mare in spite of them being the limited series supporting Emmy winners and them traditionally loving to recognise those with wins.

It felt inevitable in hindsight that it would be one of Dopesick and The Underground Railroad.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

mariogomez
    Topics:

With Yellowjackets now in contention, here are my prediction for drama series:
    -Better Call Saul
    -The Crown
    -Severance
    -Pachinko
    -Yellowjackets

forwardswill
    Topics:

The fact that The Underground Railroad managed to win at the Globes last year despite not winning at the Emmys makes me more confident that Severance can do the same

Other than critical acclaim, what makes these two shows in any way similar?

adriandecker770
    Topics:

They both appeared on the most mid-year lists, were nominated for best drama/limited series, then lost to a popular show from the previous year (although to make the comparison better The Underground Railroad would’ve had to lose to I May Destroy You rather than The Queen’s Gambit, as IMDY and Succession both did the best on year end lists). After The Underground Railroad lost at the emmys I had given up hope on it winning anything and then was really pleasantly surprised that it won at the Globes, so I’m hoping Severance can also recover from its Emmy failure. It’s not a very good comparison, it just popped into my head as I was reading through the thread. Not really indicative of its chances for winning at all (and below that wolfali and fitzsimmons gave better explanations for why Underground Railroad won other than ‘it got a lot of critical acclaim’)

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

If Yellowackets is in contention I’m predicting it 🙂

wolfali
    Topics:

If Yellowackets is in contention I’m predicting it 🙂

Helps it that it premiered a lot later outside of US than it did in the US (due to Paramount+ holding the rights in certain territories and only having just launched in them recently) so some of these new international journalists who have joined the Globes and HFPA will have reviewed it relatively recently compared to other early releases.

mariogomez
    Topics:

Probably I Will start watching Yellowjackets tomorrow. I think the shows have pretty good chances to get 3 noms and plus is SHOWTIME and is a new show so I’m picking the show, Lynskey and Ricci i’m My predictions.

mariogomez
    Topics:

Chris, can you add Claes Bang to the prediction center,please?

Just watching Bad Sisters, and his performance is truly award worthy.

loudtoilet
    Topics:

I said this in Emmy Drama thread and will say it here. Amazon is so aggressively pushing LOTR and Morfydd Clark for everything – GG, CC, SAG, etc – I’d be shocked if they miss here. If Emily in Paris and Lili Collins could make it, this is in even better position. International exposure was huge and HFPA is international.

I hope I’m wrong but money talks.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 546 total)

The topic ‘Golden Globes 2023 – TV Predictions’ is closed to new replies.