Home Forums Television Golden Globes 2023 – TV Predictions

Golden Globes 2023 – TV Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 546 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
mariogomez

• wolfali
    Topics:

I have to watch This is Going to Hurt, everyone is praising Wishaw.

If Whishaw does actually get nominated we should watch out for him being a potential upset à la Ramy Youssef. He’ll have a lot of visibility thanks to Women Talking and I feel like his performance is the type that would only get nominated due to the passion behind it (even though he is a previous Globe winner). Likewise limited/movie actor feels open this year (there’s Peters of course but I feel like we could be overestimating him a bit as a winner here).

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

The hardest part of a Whishaw win would be the nomination itself. The show was also a far bigger hit in the UK than the US, something that I think this group would be more aware of than other American award shows (he got in at Gotham but that’s literally decided by 5 TV critics who have watch everything).

There is recent precedence for this type of win too, with The Night Manager, Richard Madden and ironically, Whishaw for A Very British Scandal.

It would also be great PR look for an alleged new reformed Globes to reward an out-gay actor.

mariogomez
    Topics:

There was Jeremy Strong but I guess they didn’t want to double dip on Succession leads. Really surprised they didn’t go for Penn Badgely in You, it was its first season on Netflix after becoming a pop cultural sensation and Netflix had literally nothing else in drama that year.

Of course, that was an unfair thing to do. But it´s a reminder that Globes usually don´t nominate 2 people in the same category unless there are big names behind or amazing performances just like Aniston and Witherspoon in the Monrning show, Shailene Woodley and Laura Dern in Big Little Lies, Bonham Carter and Anderson in The Crown. So, 3 people in one category in the Globes, forget it. Those people who have faith in 3 people for the White Lotus in both supporting categories is not going to happen, forget it.

About wolfali post, we need to see if Peters is nominated, that category has a lot of serious contenders.

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Is Derry Girls eligible / being submitted for these?

Scorsese was at an event in Chicago yesterday, praised the show and the crowd erupted with applause, think it could surprise.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Is Derry Girls eligible / being submitted for these?

My guess would be yes – whilst it’s not on the Netflix site there’s literally articles about it on the Globes site.

hopelesstar
    Topics:

I need the FRIPESCI voters to come through and give Pachinko those noms. Even here I feel like the show is under seen when it was the best of the year. Youn gives a win worthy performance and is imo better than she was on Minari.

adriandecker770
    Topics:

I have it nominated in every possible category, (Best Drama, Best Drama Actor/Actress, Drama/Comedy Supporting Actress, let me know if I missed one), it deserves so much more attention

mariogomez
    Topics:

They did the last year nominating 2 foreign shows (Squid Game, Lupin), so I can easily see happen this year with Pachinko.

Just finished Yellowjackets and only confident in Lynskey nomination, I don´t know about the show because I don´t think if is the thing that HFPA loves but is really good.

I have another doubt, is really The Patient pushing the 2 actors in Lead? Because I suspect voters may go and put Gleeson in supporting, but who knows.

Sir Shaw
    Topics:

They did the last year nominating 2 foreign shows (Squid Game, Lupin), so I can easily see happen this year with Pachinko.

3 if you want to include The Serpent, a British-Indian-Thai co-production where the majority of spoken dialogue is in Dutch, French and Thai.

mariogomez
    Topics:

Chris, can you add Domhnall Gleeson to the supporting category just in case voters decide to place him in that category, just like you did with the film categories, please?

wolfali
    Topics:

3 if you want to include The Serpent, a British-Indian-Thai co-production where the majority of spoken dialogue is in Dutch, French and Thai.

The HFPA actually have had a really strong recent track record in general of throwing nominations to international series.

2021: 3 (Lupin, The Serpent, Squid Game)
    2020: 6 (The Crown, Killing Eve, Normal People, Schitt’s Creek, Small Axe, Unorthodox)
    2019: 5 (Catherine the Great, Chernobyl, The Crown, Killing Eve, The Spy)
    2018: 4 (A Very English Scandal, Bodyguard, Killing Eve, Patrick Melrose)
    2017: 3 (The Crown, Top of the Lake : China Girl, The Young Pope)

The Crown, The English and Pachinko are the ones that people are predicting and talking about in some form here and we’ve talked about the possibility of Ben Whishaw slipping into limited/movie actor but the more time that passes the more I actually wonder if we’re underestimating Irma Vep in some form. Its buzz obviously was quite muted and it isn’t an Emmy thing but looking through the auteur projects the Globes have nominated BEFORE the membership changes (Top of the Lake : China Girl, Small Axe, The Young Pope) I feel like it’s something that could be right up their street. Alicia Vikander in particular feels like someone we could be sleeping on as a Jude Law type of nominee especially seeing as the last slot in that particular category feels really hard to predict right now.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Why do I feel like they’re going to nominate something random not even in the prediction centre.

wolfali
    Topics:

Why do I feel like they’re going to nominate something random not even in the prediction centre.

Imelda Staunton and Zendaya are shaking!

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I’ve got a lingering feeling one of Netflix’s big K-Dramas of the year (specifically All of Us Are Dead or Extraordinary Attorney Woo) could perform better than expected (if expected at all).

Something like Lee Yoo-mi being nominated in Supporting Actress for the former wouldn’t surprise after both the internationally popularity of Squid Game and AOUAD.

mariogomez
    Topics:

Could be, but this year, Chris has added every of our suggestions here in the forum, to try to avoid that.

I feel they´re going to nominate many contenders that are not even in the top 10 choices of every category, some possible surprises that I could see happening that are no top choices in the prediction center are:

1.- Minha Kim (Pachinko)
    2.- Samantha Morton (The Serpent Queen)
    3.- Claes Bang (Bad Sisters)
    4.- Pachinko
    5.- Andor
    6.- Yellowjackets
    7.- Interview with the Vampire
    8.- Jacob Anderson (Interview with the Vampire)
    9.- Sam Reid (Interview with the Vampire)
    10.- Mohamed Amer (Mo)
    11.- Melanie Lynskey (Yellowjackets)
    12.- Anthony Carrigan (Barry)
    13.- Domhnall Gleeson (The Patient)

That is based in the criteria that Globes have of nominating really good and showy performances, and really good new shows.
    For example, I don´t see many people of The White Lotus happening because there are a hundred of better performances. I can´t imagine happening the overrated James and Fahy, or Coolidge, who is in automatic pilot this season, showing no new things or layers to her character.
    Reminder that Globes usually go for new shows, this year is a lot of new good shows than any other one recently, so I don´t think many of the old contenders are happening.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 546 total)

The topic ‘Golden Globes 2023 – TV Predictions’ is closed to new replies.