Home Forums Television HOMELAND Final Season

HOMELAND Final Season

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 91 through 102 (of 102 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
Atypical
Riley Chow
Eden
  • Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Easily the best episode of the 2019-20 season.

These 12 episodes were all great. Prisoners of War was fantastic, if awards are any fair it should win DGA and WGA, plus get Emmy noms for both writing and directing – actually should win too, but I find difficult to happen.

Episode Grade: A+++++++
    Season Grade: A+ – I wouldn’t change anything!

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

This was a good series finale, but not an all-timer.  They really tried at a grand design with first-season callbacks that were not entirely organic.  It was bothersome how much I could tell that they were making it up as they went, given how early-season threads like what happened to Carrie during her missing months did not amount to much.  Zeroing in on what became the central relationship was an interesting choice, but this also came at the expense of whatever was going on in Afghanistan and most secondary characters of the season, like Carrie’s protégé/frenemy Jenna.  So the finale does not taint the legacy of Homeland and this was a good season overall, but I might not be passionate enough for it to make too much of a showing in my personal awards like I did with the penultimate season for example.  I interviewed Costa Ronin a few weeks ago and he rejected my labeling of him as the romantic lead of the season, but he turned out to be even more of one than I realized!

4 > 7 > 8 > 1 > 2 > 6 > 5 > 3

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RCS
    Topics:

This was a good series finale, but not an all-timer.

Agreed.

It’s very adequate and good on a basic level, but it’s not next-level stuff.

Twitter: @rcs818

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Solid series finale, but I didn’t love it. I think at its core, “Homeland” centered around Carrie fighting against both internal (bipolar) and external (TERRORISM!) threats to her sanity. I was expecting a more significant tragedy to befall her, something like an ultimate sacrifice made for her country. Not like killing Saul, which would have been too out of character and shark-jumping, but maybe if she didn’t survive the closer she reached the “truth,” whatever that might be, or facing her crimes instead of defecting. Becoming a spy would have resonated more if the plot thread of Saul’s “English teacher” had been introduced earlier. Adored the actress playing her though. She would have made an outstanding guest actress Emmy nominee back in the days where multiple tapes could be submitted to reveal full story arcs instead of single episodes. I thought the Brody callback was shoe-horned and misjudged. No significant exploration of Carrie’s lost seven months in Russia was disappointing. I did like that Frannie was at least mentioned for a spell, as well as seeing Maggie once more. I don’t buy for a second that Yevgeny and the GRU wouldn’t be at high alert over another secret agent in their midsts with intelligence leak after intelligence leak taking place. Would Yevgeny’s hot American girlfriend not be the first suspect? I get that she has “cover” now being a Snowden figure and traitor (the book sequence was indeed baller), but yeahhhh. The jazz callback had me howling, so great going there! I think this finale did its job of cementing the series’s legacy well enough with the positive reception so far. It had a clear fan-servicey vibe to it. Not sure if the Emmys will bite again, but Danes, Patinkin, and Sterling all deserve Emmy nominations. A return to Drama Series would be well-earned, and I’m assuming that the finale will be the major directing/writing push. Sad to see the series go, but it was time. Thanks for the 8 seasons, Showtime! It’s truly the end of an era.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Would Yevgeny’s hot American girlfriend not be the first suspect?

Yes and Carrie knows that. But she probably won’t be revealing big informations like the English Teacher used to do, only some that Saul can cover for her.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Damn, did a double take when Maury Sterling popped up for a second in a retrospective by Showtime.  Looked up other videos of him on YouTube and he is hot!  I thought that Max was a dweeb, so good for Sterling for being “brave” and committing to the part.  Dermot Mulroney better watch out because Sterling could be coming for his roles.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Yes and Carrie knows that. But she probably won’t be revealing big informations like the English Teacher used to do, only some that Saul can cover for her.

In theory. But if Carrie stumbles on some major intel, she’s going to reveal that too, consequences be damned. Yevgeny won’t take kindly to being played either, since it looks like he genuinely loves her in the flash-forward.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Damn, did a double take when Maury Sterling popped up for a second in a retrospective by Showtime.  Looked up other videos of him on YouTube and he is hot!  I thought that Max was a dweeb, so good for Sterling for being “brave” and committing to the part.  Dermot Mulroney better watch out because Sterling could be coming for his roles.

I had the same reaction when I saw him in that video hahaha.

In theory. But if Carrie stumbles on some major intel, she’s going to reveal that too, consequences be damned. Yevgeny won’t take kindly to being played either, since it looks like he genuinely loves her in the flash-forward.

No one is saying that it will go smoothly and unproblematic. She helped them remove the biggest spy in their entire history though, they will give her some credit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

No one is saying that it will go smoothly and unproblematic. She helped them remove the biggest spy in their entire history though, they will give her some credit.

Until they don’t. Carrie will be spared no mercy when she’s caught.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

The finale was as excellent as those of Breaking Bad, The Americans and Mad Men, so satisfying and perfectly composed. The fact that it is the highest rated episode of the entire show on IMDB makes me smile, it is an all-timer. It manage what the others shows that I mentions did, to surprise and makes us feel all the emotions, while staying perfectly natural and truthful to its characters. Masterclass of acting from Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin (he should be winning supporting actor).

Season 8 was in top 3 of the whole series, maybe second after season 4. I have seen different opinions about season 5, 6 and 7, I love all three of them, but season 5 would be my number 3 (Miranda Otto is the best female character in the show after Carrie). Seasons 1 and 2 were superb as well. Season 3 is the only mediocre one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    rodben2000
    Topics:

I know I’m late but I have to say that this was a hell of a ride. Despite not being my favourite season(1,2 and 4 are for me the best) these last two episodes were really great. Prisoners of War is by far one of the best season finales of any show I’ve ever seen(not as good as Breaking Bad or The Americans but still great) and it is Homeland at the top of its game. It was an epic farewell to the last great drama of the golden age of television(I’m really sad and feel so empty knowing that I will never see Saul Berenson and Carrie Mathison again) and it’s with no doubt deserving of emmy love in the acting categories. Claire Danes was as always excellent but I can’t see her getting nominated with such a stacked field(despite being more than worthy of a nomination) and Mandy Patinkin… Wow!! What can I say about him. There is no words to explain what this man has done for the past 9 years. There are not many actors who can make me feel what they are feeling but Patinkin is one of them. That phone call to his source is more than emmy worthy. Saul’s despair, anguish, disbelief towards what was happening was so well captured by Mandy Patinkin. He is not just worthy of a nomination… He is worthy of a win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

thanks to COVID-19 i watched the final season in 3 days. very good one indeed. in different year maybe it would have a chance at Drama Series nom.
    also, i agree with the praises of the cast seen in posts here, but the actress playing Tasneem was really good too, don’t you think?

also, Costa Ronin got more attractive in my eyes after Homeland (don’t know why, i didn’t think that way while watching The Americans…).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 91 through 102 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.