Home Forums Television Killing Eve to conclude with Season 4, Spring 2022

Killing Eve to conclude with Season 4, Spring 2022

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 301 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
LA26

• wolfali
    Topics:

Spill please! I don’t think anyone is worried about spoilers…

The first five minutes were cringe-worthy (poor Marie Sophie Ferdane, she was fantastic in I Am Not an Easy Man whilst I’d probably say her performance in the opening of this episode is one of the worst I’ve seen on television this year). The next 15 were actually decent and made a nice use of Comer and Oh and their chemistry together (and finally for the first time in this whole season we had Villanelle changing accents!).

Things really fell off a cliff 30 minutes in though. Usually with disappointing series finales (i.e. Game of Thrones, Dexter, The Good Wife) when you have a character suddenly acting differently for no reason whatsoever it happens at the start of the episode as opposed to the final act. Carolyn is a character who underneath is quite compelling and Shaw plays her fantastically (even in this awful finale) but it felt like all of a sudden another writer had stepped in without having seen a single episode of the show prior or read a single one of this season’s scripts when it came to writing the character. Scenes that happened literally five minutes prior with Pam (Anjana Vasan’s character) could have come from a different season of the show in comparison to what happened during that scene that occurred 30 minutes in. Eve and Carolyn’s exchange just felt so incompetently written. What’s even more bizarre is that at least when characters suddenly had different motivations in the finales of the other aforementioned programmes, I could at least understand what their “new” motivations were as bonkers as the shift was. Here I honestly could not understand what was going on with Carolyn as a character. If Shaw wasn’t playing her, I probably wouldn’t even be able to tell you what the character did in the entire episode.

Then there’s the ending of the episode. Rushed would be one word, ridiculous and pointless would be another but triggering would be another. I’m not so obsessed with the whole villaneve phenomenon but I was absolutely traumatised by the ending of the show and not in a way that I intend as a compliment to the finale’s writer or director.

A disastrous ending to a disappointing final season of a show that had probably one of the best freshman debuts of any television show this century, a still excellent second season and a third season whilst dull was still at least very watchable. If Suzanne Heathcote wrote a better season finale to Killing Eve then that’s really saying something lmao.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

Bebe
    Topics:

Carolyn is a character who underneath is quite compelling and Shaw plays her fantastically (even in this awful finale) but it felt like all of a sudden another writer had stepped in without having seen a single episode of the show prior or read a single one of this season’s scripts when it came to writing the character.

I’ve never found Carolyn compelling or understood why there has been acclaim for her character. I mentioned this in the Season 3 thread, but it kind of reminds me of the acclaim around Jacki Weaver’s performance in “Silver Lining’s Playbook.” She gets to say a few one-liners, smile, and make a couple of funny facial expressions, but there is no substance to the role. I cannot imagine watching a spinoff around the Carolyn character.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

I cannot imagine watching a spinoff around the Carolyn character.

The way hardly anyone is going to watch that spin off after this finale 💀💀💀.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

Sab227
    Topics:

What a terrible finale and a terrible final season and this is coming from someone who loved the third season. At least Fiona Shaw was amazing in the finale even with her Killing villanelle for no apparent reason, Shaw stil sold me on it and hopefully can be in contention for the Emmy even if it was terrible writing and a disaster ending but nowhere near as bad as the finale of Game of Thrones which was on a whole other level of terrible.

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The way hardly anyone is going to watch that spin off after this finale .

I’m pretty ambivalent about Killing Eve generally but that finale felt like they were  replacing half the finale with a backdoor pilot with half an idea for a spinoff that I’m not convinced will ever make it past development. I kept wondering if maybe I’d missed the occasional episode and that was why I was confused but it sounds like, nope, everyone was.

It felt like it was signed off on by someone at, like, AMC+ who needed to explain their expansion in the streaming wars to investors, not like a beloved BBC show.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

The finale of this show should be a moral to prioritise storytelling in television over trying to expand commercially.

ReplyCopy URL

TheCineMike
    Topics:

The final episode was underwhelming to put it kindly. The first half was great though but the second half went downhill quickly. It was rushed, the ending was abrupt, and it didn’t feel like a series finale at all. This probably has one of the worst final scenes of a series finale ever. Nothing is satisfying.

Twitter: @TheCineMike

ReplyCopy URL

Manav
    Topics:

SPOILER ALERT

Indiewire Review:

‘Killing Eve’ Review: The Frustrating Series Finale Isn’t Much of an Ending at All — Spoilers

“Killing Eve” Season 4, Episode 8, isn’t a finale, but the finale. Yet “Hello, Losers” serves up an ending that’s both far too similar to Season 1’s closer and much less satisfying. Carolyn’s motivations are all over the map, as they have been throughout most of Season 4. Konstantin was decidedly killed off in the penultimate episode, though his passing is of such little consequence it’s barely mentioned here. Eve, again, survives, except there’s no clarity that stems from her distress, nor any personal agency achieved in her final moments. And Villanelle. Poor Villanelle. One of the most curious, resourceful, and innovative killers in TV history is bested by an unseen sniper, rather than the dangerous woman she was drawn to, again and again.

ReplyCopy URL

Manav
    Topics:

SPOILER ALERT

Same review:

A quick note about Pam: I do not know why Pam is in this season. Rumors of a spin-off led me to believe she was being built-up as the star of her own series, and that very well may still be the case. (Vasan deserves only good things.) But Pam’s last scene sees her turn down Carolyn’s job offer, meaning she has nothing to do with Eve and Villanelle’s ultimate fate. The most significant action she takes in Season 4 is killing Konstantin, and that stopped making sense as it was happening. Now, it’s up to Carolyn to carry whatever continuation may come next, after arranging the murder of everyone’s favorite character! Good luck with that.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL

lulina
    Topics:
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

To be fair to Neal – unless I’m missing something in her history – I mean, of course she’s going to accept that job. Wouldn’t anyone?

At the end of the day the BBC chose to hire a showrunner who had never written as far as I can tell a season finale much less the series finale of a show whose previous showrunner are Oscar and Emmy winners.

I really like the strategy of different showrunners and giving women opportunities they might not otherwise have but it’s an incredibly visible way make mistakes that could have been made on less of a world stage.

ReplyCopy URL

nevkm
    Topics:

Laura Neal really said Eve will go on to have this amazing life without Villanelle and that the scream at the end was triumphant and a sign of relief and rebirth…oh wow, someone sedate me

ReplyCopy URL

Craig Kell
    Topics:

Finished the finale. The IMDB score is too high.

It’s now 3.5….

https://media.giphy.com/media/Wn74RUT0vjnoU98Hnt/giphy.gif

I just hope some fans don’t cause problems for Jodie when her play starts later this week. I’m watching her performance next Wednesday <3

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

Laura Neal really said Eve will go on to have this amazing life without Villanelle and that the scream at the end was triumphant and a sign of rebirth…

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 301 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.