Home Forums Television Revisiting the Emmys: 2018 Drama Series

Revisiting the Emmys: 2018 Drama Series

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Kaguya-hime
Victor
Revisiting the Emmys: 2018 Drama Series
The Americans season 6
The Crown season 2
Game of Thrones season 7
The Handmaids Tale season 2
Stranger Things season 2
This is Us season 2
Westworld season 2

• wolfali
    Topics:

I promise this won’t become a set of polls. I was taken by Gabpss’ 2005 drama series Emmy thread and wondered how people felt about the lineup in 2018 (arguably the most competitive the category has been in recent years). Which one was your personal favourite?

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

gabspss
    Topics:

1) The Americans — By far the best nominee here and one of the best nominees in this category ever. The final season of the show was just perfect, not a single frame was wasted.

2) The Crown
    3) This Is Us
    4) Game of Thrones
    5) Stranger Things
    6) The Handmaid’s Tale

7) Westworld — The only nominee that I truly dislike here.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

ReplyCopy URL

marcus_emn
    Topics:

This might have been a competitive year but it was one of the worst in terms of quality. The Americans Season 6 is the only one that’s truly great (I do enjoy The Crown’s Season 2 tho), but it’s a perfect season so that makes me very happy and makes me forget how bad that year was.

1. The Americans

2. The Crown
    3. This is Us
    4. The Handmaid’s Tale
    5. Game of Thrones
    6. Westworld
    7. Stranger Things

ReplyCopy URL

Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Hot take: Game of Thrones Season 7 isn’t great, but it’s better than The Crown Season 2 (This is not criticism of The Crown’s amazing cast, all of whom were win-worthy, but the writing really fell off a cliff in this season in some episodes. Marionettes, Dear Mrs. Kennedy, and Mystery Man are all terrible.), Westworld Season 2 (a confusing mess that collapses in the back end of the season), and Stranger Things Season 2 (an uninteresting repetition of a lot of Season 1 where the characters all suddenly become unlikable idiots). I’m sure The Americans is the best here, but I haven’t seen it so I won’t vote.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

Here’s how I’d rank them personally:

1. The Crown season 2 – Is this placement tainted by my own bias towards this show? Perhaps. But I think what gives The Crown the edge for me is that its second season was essentially flawless in every aspect, and then some. The show at its best for me is when it explores the social progress of the times in which its seasons are set and when it has comprehensive character studies. It’s quite difficult to write fiction loosely based on 20th century history without controversy and whilst the show’s creative liberties were no avail to it on that front, it felt like every aspect of the show’s setting was covered in a way? Both Claire Foy and Vanessa Kirby were phenomenal and my personal awards winners that year and “Beryl” is one of the strongest instalments of television ever (cinematography, performances etc). Plus the only reason I joined this site was to see how much of a chance Foy had at winning!

2. The Americans season 6 – I actually hadn’t seen The Americans at the time but its final season was one of the strongest send-offs to one of the most memorable shows of recent times. It feels bizarre to call this show underrated considering it won 2 above the line Emmys and won at the Globes, WGA and PGA for its final season but the show’s ensemble really deserved more than they received from awards groups. Glad Matthew Rhys won. Hopefully Keri Russell can find her own project like Elisabeth Moss did after Mad Men (another performance that was criminally overlooked during the entirety of their show’s run) and sweep!

3. The Handmaid’s Tale season 2 – I can understand why others took issue with the show’s second season but I still thoroughly liked it. Perhaps nowhere near as much as The Crown and The Americans’ seasons that year but I thought the development of the show’s supporting characters that season was rich and its further exploration of the events that led to the rise of Gilead were fascinating. Although they weren’t my personal winners that year, Elisabeth Moss and Yvonne Strahovski would have been quite deserving of the win. Just like The Crown season 2 and The Americans season 6, this season had one of The Handmaid’s Tale’s definitive instalments in “Holly”.

4. This is Us season 2 – I don’t really know how I feel about this season because it feels so distant in my memory haha. It’s a shame Mandy Moore and Justin Hartley missed nominations though.

5. Stranger Things season 2 – Still an enjoyable watch but I guess my issue with this season of the show and its third season is that it became a little bit more formulaic? The first season had a lot of fascinating commentary, a well executed mystery and an incredible performance from Winona Ryder. The second instalment felt tailored for the mainstream almost to the extent that it felt like the show lost its creative purpose. Also that Eleven spin off episode was a snooze fest.  David Harbour and Noah Schnapp were still great though and the former should have won over Peter Dinklage.

6. Game of Thrones season 7 – I honestly don’t know what to say when not only one of the weakest seasons of a show in this category wins but when it also is one of the weakest winners ever and when the only acting win for it is for the cast member who is the least deserving of a win out of the show’s nominees that year.

7. Westworld season 2 –

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

Labyrinth
    Topics:

The Americans- One of the best television seasons ever.Deserved to win all of the categories.

ReplyCopy URL

antony
    Topics:

the only correct answer.

ReplyCopy URL

Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Here’s how I’d rank them personally: 1. The Crown season 2 – Is this placement tainted by my own bias towards this show? Perhaps. But I think what gives The Crown the edge for me is that its second season was essentially flawless in every aspect, and then some. The show at its best for me is when it explores the social progress of the times in which its seasons are set and when it has comprehensive character studies. It’s quite difficult to write fiction loosely based on 20th century history without controversy and whilst the show’s creative liberties were no avail to it on that front, it felt like every aspect of the show’s setting was covered in a way? Both Claire Foy and Vanessa Kirby were phenomenal and my personal awards winners that year and “Beryl” is one of the strongest instalments of television ever (cinematography, performances etc). Plus the only reason I joined this site was to see how much of a chance Foy had at winning! 2. The Americans season 6 – I actually hadn’t seen The Americans at the time but its final season was one of the strongest send-offs to one of the most memorable shows of recent times. It feels bizarre to call this show underrated considering it won 2 above the line Emmys and won at the Globes, WGA and PGA for its final season but the show’s ensemble really deserved more than they received from awards groups. Glad Matthew Rhys won. Hopefully Keri Russell can find her own project like Elisabeth Moss did after Mad Men (another performance that was criminally overlooked during the entirety of their show’s run) and sweep! 3. The Handmaid’s Tale season 2 – I can understand why others took issue with the show’s second season but I still thoroughly liked it. Perhaps nowhere near as much as The Crown and The Americans’ seasons that year but I thought the development of the show’s supporting characters that season was rich and its further exploration of the events that led to the rise of Gilead were fascinating. Although they weren’t my personal winners that year, Elisabeth Moss and Yvonne Strahovski would have been quite deserving of the win. Just like The Crown season 2 and The Americans season 6, this season had one of The Handmaid’s Tale’s definitive instalments in “Holly”. 4. This is Us season 2 – I don’t really know how I feel about this season because it feels so distant in my memory haha. It’s a shame Mandy Moore and Justin Hartley missed nominations though. 5. Stranger Things season 2 – Still an enjoyable watch but I guess my issue with this season of the show and its third season is that it became a little bit more formulaic? The first season had a lot of fascinating commentary, a well executed mystery and an incredible performance from Winona Ryder. The second instalment felt tailored for the mainstream almost to the extent that it felt like the show lost its creative purpose. Also that Eleven spin off episode was a snooze fest. David Harbour and Noah Schnapp were still great though and the former should have won over Peter Dinklage. 6. Game of Thrones season 7 – I honestly don’t know what to say when not only one of the weakest seasons of a show in this category wins but when it also is one of the weakest winners ever and when the only acting win for it is for the cast member who is the least deserving of a win out of the show’s nominees that year. 7. Westworld season 2 –

If only all of The Crown Season 2 was as incredible as Beryl, Vergangenheit, and Paterfamilias. It’s just such an inconsistent season.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

Hot take: Game of Thrones Season 7 isn’t great, but it’s better than The Crown Season 2 (This is not criticism of The Crown’s amazing cast, all of whom were win-worthy, but the writing really fell off a cliff in this season in some episodes. Marionettes, Dear Mrs. Kennedy, and Mystery Man are all terrible.),

More like poor take.

ReplyCopy URL

Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

But it was.

Sorry, that episode is one of the shittiest episodes of tv I’ve ever seen and it makes all of the characters in it look pathetic. Portraying Jackie Kennedy as a weak abused woman with no agency, JFK as a wife-beater who is manipulating everyone around him for Machiavellian games of grand diplomacy, and Elizabeth as a petty woman who only is willing to do her job out of jealously towards other women being popular is stupid and the worst writing the show has ever had. And Michael C. Hall’s performance in that episode is the worst tv performance I saw that year.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

Sorry, that episode is one of the shittiest episodes of tv I’ve ever seen

I’m assuming you haven’t seen many episodes of television then.

ReplyCopy URL

Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

I’m assuming you haven’t seen many episodes of television then.

Great job ignoring why I said it was shitty just to try to throw sarcastic jabs in my direction. The episode completely betrays all of the characters in it and doesn’t make any sense from a writing standpoint.

ReplyCopy URL

estrelas
    Topics:

The Crown season 2 is by far the best from the ones I’ve seen.

I’m starting season 2 of The Americans soon, so I’ll have a better judgement in the future once I reach season 6.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

Great job ignoring why I said it was shitty just to try to throw sarcastic jabs in my direction. The episode completely betrays all of the characters in it and doesn’t make any sense from a writing standpoint.

No hard feelings. This is an online forum and I was just being jokey as a form of disagreement.

Although it wasn’t my favourite episode of the season (Beryl, Marionettes, Paterfamilias and Vergangenheit were some of the best episodes of television that season and Beryl is one of my favourite episodes of a show ever!), I quite liked Dear Mrs Kennedy (and it seems IMDB at least doesn’t disagree with me considering the 3rd best of any episode of the show with a 9.2 score). I thought it was a well developed exploration of the queen’s psyche and Claire Foy’s performance in it was exceptional.

ReplyCopy URL

ReddWhite
    Topics:

1. The Americans S6 – Best TV season ever, sorry to the other gals

2. The Crown S2 – Perfect season too, Foy>>>>>>>>>>>

3. Stranger Things S2 – Sean Astin ate it and was robbed of a nom. I also really liked the father-daughter relationship between Eleven and Hopper. Shame Ryder didn’t get much to do though.

4. The Handmaid’s Tale S2 – Serena’s season, and quite the great one too. I don’t get all the criticism, some episodes were even better than s1.

5. Game of Thrones s7 –  Rigg, Coster-Waldau and Headey truly rose above what was a weak set-up to what would be one of the worst finales of any show. at least “The Spoils of War” was cool though.

Never watched TIU and Westworld.

Impossachievable

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.