Home Forums Television Rolling Stones’ 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time (2022 Update)

Rolling Stones’ 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time (2022 Update)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
adriandecker770
Jacob "Oscar ..

• adriandecker770
    Topics:

Sorry if someone already made a topic about this, I know the forum has a bit of a focus on currently airing TV but I’ve been having fun getting into some older critically acclaimed shows and seeing the roots of the medium. I still haven’t watched a lot of pre-2000s TV so I can’t judge those selections, but I feel like the new shows added in the six year gap since the 2016 list are pretty solid.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-lists/best-tv-shows-of-all-time-1234598313/

What do you all think? Definitely lacking in most non-American shows, (obviously since the voting panel is mostly people in the American TV industry and American TV critics). I’d love to see a list like this excluding American TV and also one that highlights more avant garde stuff (things highlighted in the criterion collection, often “this aired as a miniseries but it was repackaged as a movie” type shows).

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

As with Rolling Stone’s other GOAT lists, I think that it’s better to look at it as more of a “great TV shows” list without a ranking, instead of a “greatest TV shows” list with a ranking (which is its actual purpose but who cares), in the same vein as Roger Ebert’s “Great Movies” list, which was just that.

I don’t think it would be impossible to make a fairly objective ranking of the greatest of all-time, but the way Rolling Stone goes about these lists isn’t great. I mean this is literally a 53-person poll. That’s all. When curating something like this, it should be a smallish group of people discussing. Moreover, every show in contention should be seen by every one in the group. Who’s to say Pamela Adlon has necessarily seen The Good Fight? If she hasn’t, then The Good Fight’s ranking is being affected.

Also, I agree that it is Anglophone but I feel like that’s okay? One, the American TV industry has so much more importance whether it be culturally or historically than the rest of the world, with it being the largest, most widely distributed, and most syndicated in the world. But two, it’s an American magazine, and titling it “The 100 Greatest Anglophone TV Shows of All Time with the Exception of Squid Game” is obviously not good.

I do like it though for the purpose I give it. A lot of amazing titles and recommendations if you haven’t seen some (though there are some questionable omissions like Downton Abbey, Law & Order, and Modern Family to name a few).

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    6. Top Gun: Maverick
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

Yeah, I agree, I had a fun time reading it and think it’s fun to think about, but of course the ranking is pretty arbitrary. I’d love to see lists like what you’re discussing (which I suppose is what Matt Zoller Seitz and Alan Sepinwall’s “TV: The Book” is).

Honestly, I was mainly thinking about British TV shows, which are definitely represented but I think are ranked pretty differently from what, say, a group of British TV critics would include (and this is also coming from an interview with Alan Sepinwall where he said it’d be nice to have more British/non English critics, which just wasn’t feasible for what they were doing.) For what it is I think this list is really nice, it’s more just curiosity on my part for what that kind of list might look like. I think especially it’s nice to see what kind of pre-2000s shows have stood the test of time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.