Home Forums Television SAG Awards 2022 TV Nominations Reactions

SAG Awards 2022 TV Nominations Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 362 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 hour ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
Manav
  • Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I feel winning over a large body like SAG is a big challenge for Keaton,just because his show isn’t as big of a hit as The White Lotus and Mare Of Easttown. I can totally see the SAG-AFTRA voters going all in for Mare (checking off it in both categories). Alexander Skaarsgard won for Big Little Lies over big names like DeNiro,Rush,Daniels and Cumberbatch. Big Little Lies and Mare Of Easttown got the same number of SAG nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I feel winning over a large body like SAG is a big challenge for Keaton,just because his show isn’t as big of a hit as The White Lotus and Mare Of Easttown.

I tend to think Keaton’s reputation and how well known he is puts him in good stead here, as does recency bias. I’m delighted Bartlett got in but I’m still a bit concerned he ultimately might not be well known enough to win here. That said, getting in may have been what he needed to overcome in the first place.

Evan Peters on the other hand, whilst not having the decades of history Keaton does, is plenty well known, and Mare was so well seen and liked.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Absolute nonsense. It’s also TV, not cinema. People watch dubs for a great deal of reasons, including various scenarios where they are not able to devote that level of focus to 8-10 hours of TV or where they struggle with subtitles. They’re also an entry point for a lot of people. I have a friend who is dyslexic who watched the dub. My friend watched the dub in increments because her TV time is normally with a newborn baby breastfeeding at 3am. I watched half and half (and then went back to watch without) because the person I watched it with is just getting it to subtitles and I was not going to start an argument with someone who three days before had watched a subtitled French film for the first time in their life.

There are always people who need dubs for various reasons, same with people who need subtitles for various reasons, that’s a no-brainer. I would just hope though that voters voting on industry awards opt for subtitles so they are making the best assessment of the acting, scripts, etc. It’s too important to not take it seriously and set your time aside to properly watch the show, if they can’t do that then they shouldn’t really be voting.

Personally I find dubs very confusing and much more distracting than subtitles, and for Squid Game I was also deterred by the rumours of a terrible English dub.

Best Supporting Actress - Kathryn Hunter, Ann Dowd, Martha Plimpton, Judi Dench, Ruth Negga
    Best Supporting Actor - Troy Katsur, Ciarán Hinds, Alex Hassell, Bertie Carvel
    Best Actress - Tessa Thompson
    The Tragedy of Macbeth in Directing, Production Design, Cinematography and thee Kathryn Hunter
    Mass in Original Screenplay

The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kenny
    Topics:

When Jennifer Coolidge wins-

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I would just hope though that voters voting on industry awards opt for subtitles so they are making the best assessment of the acting, scripts, etc. It’s too important to not take it seriously and set your time aside to properly watch the show

Whilst I think that’s true of the nom-comm, I don’t necessarily think that’s true for the overall voting body. At the end of the day their primary job is to act (or whatever their other AFTRA position is) and being a SAG-AFTRA voter doesn’t preclude you from also being a sleep deprived mother or whatever. I’m a realist at heart lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t think Keaton is locked to win but I do have him winning because not only does he just have all the momentum in that category right now after winning the Globe but also because I feel like he’s someone who is unopposed when it comes to their support base. He strikes me as someone who really appeals to older members of SAG, the vets who are more traditionalist whilst I feel like Evan Peters and Murray Bartlett share similar voting bases.

Dopesick not being a massive hit doesn’t help him but I don’t think it exactly hinders him when Mark Ruffalo won in this category last year over actors in some of the most popular shows on the planet and we’re all expecting Jean Smart to easily win in her category. It does also feel like people are catching up on Dopesick right now which is something I think can only help.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

When Jennifer Coolidge wins-

As much as I would love for Qualley to win, I believe she’s the alternative to Winslet, if there is one. Seems like the branch of the industry that matters the most for Coolidge actually watched The White Lotus, as shown by Bartlett’s nomination.

I still don’t think she’s winning the Emmy at this point, but she’s pretty much back to being a lock for the nomination, unlike at pre-SAG noms.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

whilst I feel like Evan Peters and Murray Bartlett share similar voting bases.

This is a very good point and goes back to the “competition is not necessarily internal” theory

I really like Keaton here for the same reason – I think he’ll play well with older voters – but I also think he probably about as well as a 70 year old can to younger audiences because of the roles he’s played over the years. I don’t necessarily think that’s something somone like, say, Douglas has had as an edge here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Absolute nonsense. It’s also TV, not cinema.

People watch dubs for a great deal of reasons, including various scenarios where they are not able to devote that level of focus to 8-10 hours of TV or where they struggle with subtitles. They’re also an entry point for a lot of people.

I have a friend who is dyslexic who watched the dub. My friend watched the dub in increments because her TV time is normally with a newborn baby breastfeeding at 3am. I watched half and half (and then went back to watch without) because the person I watched it with is just getting it to subtitles and I was not going to start an argument with someone who three days before had watched a subtitled French film for the first time in their life.

Gosh, when I said respect for Cinema, I meant for the CRAFT in general, being a TV show does not make it less disrespectful.

And bringing the dyslexic people, gosh… Of course, they are an valid exception. The only one. Period.

Parents with babies NOT so much. If you are going to watch a good show turned into disaster due to the dubbing only cause you have a small child, better watch something else. Reading subs is as easy as washing your teeth, if you have issues with it, go back to school. This is a debate that is happening only in countries that were opresor like US, France or Spain, where people see everything that is not on their native as something exotic. In my country, we watch everything with subs from young age, this is the norm. English is my third language while people who watch dubbed only speaks and writes on their own language (don’t come to me with random examples, this is true as a general rule).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Alexander Skaarsgard won for Big Little Lies over big names like DeNiro,Rush,Daniels and Cumberbatch. Big Little Lies and Mare Of Easttown got the same number of SAG nominations.

Alexander Skarsgard swept every single award for Big Little Lies. Evan Peters has not done the same for Mare of Easttown.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I feel winning over a large body like SAG is a big challenge for Keaton,just because his show isn’t as big of a hit as The White Lotus and Mare Of Easttown. I can totally see the SAG-AFTRA voters going all in for Mare (checking off it in both categories). Alexander Skaarsgard won for Big Little Lies over big names like DeNiro,Rush,Daniels and Cumberbatch. Big Little Lies and Mare Of Easttown got the same number of SAG nominations.

Skaarsgard role was more baitier tho, and the season was basically around him and who murdered him, unlike Zabel’s story which is only being a tool to Winslet’s Mare story.

It's all about Ethan Hawke!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

And bringing the dyslexic people, gosh… Of course, they are an valid exception. The only one. Period.

We are coming from different perspectives. Familiarity with sub-titles is not muscle memory to many English speaking audiences and thus can end up being exhausting for someone whose memory is diverted. You can learn that familiarity but it takes time for people’s brains to do what may have come naturally to others as a child.

Putting the dub on is not going to alter people’s facial expressions or the production design or a whole bunch of other elements of the production. They are still being exposed to something new. It is not optimum, but I don’t see it quite as black and white.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Turd Ferguson
    Topics:

We can all pretend that everyone watched this with subtitles but in reality I don’t think that’s the case.

Everyone I know either watched with subtitles or quit because the dub was so bad

Big fan of Better Call Saul, Sex Education, Barry, BoJack Horseman, and, especially, Survivor

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Everyone I know either watched with subtitles or quit because the dub was so bad

Opposite here, and maybe that’s the people I’m surrounded by. But I think ACTRA part of SAG-AFTRA are not necessarily cinephiles, which is why I’m being a realist about it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

While most of the movie nominations were populist trash I must say some of these are inspiring. I’m so happy for Murray Bartlett and Jennifer Coolidge, such inspired nominations! Especially the former, for some reason I thought he’d missed like the Globes so this was a great surprise. Delighted for them both as both performances have stuck in my mind more than most shows last year.

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 362 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.