Home Forums Television SAG 2023 Television Predictions

SAG 2023 Television Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 506 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
Victor

• Matpel
    Topics:

Drama:

• Ensemble: Stranger Things
    • Actor: Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
    • Actress: Laura Linney, Ozark

Comedy:

• Ensemble: Abbott Elementary
    • Actor: Steve Martin, Only Murders in the Building
    • Actress: Quinta Brunson, Abbott Elementary

Limited:

• *Ensemble: Station Eleven*
    • Actor: Evan Peters, Monster / Colin Firth, The Staircase
    • Actress: Lily James, Pam and Tommy

Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Glad The White Lotus is in Drama here, everyone in S2 pilot were at the top of their game and deserved to be recognised.

Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Adding in a big last-minute contender for Globes/SAG predictions events. Showtime will premiere “George and Tammy” limited series in early December with Jessica Chastain as Tammy Wynette and Michael Shannon as George Jones (two legendary Country Music Hall of Fame stars with a very volatile marriage). Trailer is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjrEeuQ5838

Victor
    Topics:

Kinda struggling with Comedy Actor
    Hader and the Martins are safe, but the last two…
    I have Tyler James Williams and Jeremy Allen White, but JAW over 2x winner Tony Shalhoub feels off. I do think it’s a combination between those 3 for the last 2 spots, i just don’t know which 2.

Please! These gays, they're trying to murder me!

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Kinda struggling with Comedy Actor Hader and the Martins are safe, but the last two… I have Tyler James Williams and Jeremy Allen White, but JAW over 2x winner Tony Shalhoub feels off. I do think it’s a combination between those 3 for the last 2 spots, i just don’t know which 2.

My curve ball is Winkler who feels like an appropriate sub in for Michael Douglas

JV
    Topics:

I don’t want to look reactive, but I dropped both West and Pryce. SAG has never been big on male performances from the show. I think they needed Josh O’Connor/John Lithgow level of acclaim. Turturro making it has been on my mind for a while.

wolfali
    Topics:

SAG has updated their page for FYC stuff.

– HBO Max (with Hacks, The Staircase, The Flight Attendant, Station Eleven and Julia being the shows highlighted) and HBO have launched their FYC sites. Disney appear to have launched an individual FYC site for Abbott Elementary.

Hacks, Ozark, Interview with the Vampire, Stranger Things and The Rings of Power are all having LA FYC screenings over the next two weeks. The Crown is having one in an hours time.

The English is having an FYC screening in New York (with Blunt attending) in New York on Thursday whilst the whole cast will be attending an FYC screening in LA on Monday.

– DVD screeners have started coming in with Black Bird, Inventing Anna, Mo and Ozark being the first ones to come in.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

m_butterfly
    Topics:

I think at least one of The Crown guys could make ’cause I feel the love it the way they did Downton Abbey. But I don’t know if I should go with Jeff Bridges or Paddy Considine in fifth, I haven’t seen The Old Man and SAG was never too in love Game of Thrones.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think at least one of The Crown guys could make ’cause I feel the love it the way they did Downton Abbey. But I don’t know if I should go with Jeff Bridges or Paddy Considine in fifth, I haven’t seen The Old Man and SAG was never too in love Game of Thrones.

SAG like Bridges he’s been nominated before and he seems the most likely veteran.

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Mo being the first screeners sent is interesting, didn’t think it would a priority for Netflix. Curious to see how it performs for the rest for the season.

adriandecker770
    Topics:

I loved Mo, glad to see that Netflix hasn’t forgotten about it

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I loved Mo, glad to see that Netflix hasn’t forgotten about it

I really liked it too, and it’s the Netflix show that needs the FYC boost the most.  Recommend it if you have a few hours.

wolfali
    Topics:

I think the industry is going to disproportionately like Dominic West’s performance compared to critics but after finishing this season of The Crown I feel content dropping Jonathan Pryce from my predictions. Maybe it’s presumptuous and maybe I’m just projecting my own feelings around his performance on my predictions but I just can’t see his performance attracting enough passion to get nominated. Likewise the film committee didn’t nominate Pryce for his Oscar nominated film performance in a Netflix movie and neither Tobias Menzies nor Matt Smith have been nominated for their performances as Phillip (in spite of the former winning the supporting actor Emmy) so are they really going to nominate the character now when the performer playing them is widely considered to be the weakest of the bunch? I feel like if he makes it in it will be a real testament to how strong a contender The Crown is both here at SAG and overall like with Ted Lasso and Succession last year.

I’ve slotted Paddy Considine in his place because House of the Dragon’s trajectory reminds me a lot of Westworld season 1’s and I think he has amassed enough passion to stand out from the ensemble like Thandiwe Newton did.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Maybe it’s presumptuous and maybe I’m just projecting my own feelings around his performance on my predictions but I just can’t see his performance attracting enough passion to get nominated.

I mean he really doesn’t have much to do. It’s ostensibly a serviceable supporting performance, and not a flashy one at that. At least Considine gets a really meaty exit.

wolfali
    Topics:

I mean he really doesn’t have much to do.

Hmm I don’t think that’s his issue. There are two episodes of this season devoted entirely to Phillip as a character after all.

I think his problem is more that he he doesn’t really make much impact in spite of his sizeable material (which for me is because of his characterisation being out of sync with the rest of the ensemble) and in a category like this that could cost him. Sure he may be a well regarded veteran in a top awards contender but so is John Turturro. So is F. Murray Abraham. My argument at the end of the day for not predicting him is that I can’t really imagine so many more members of the committee voting for him than those who will be voting for Manville on the actress side. Granted Pryce would be the 2nd nominee from The Crown in his category and Manville would be the 3rd. But at the same time with how competitive both actor and actress categories are this year will the fact that he has weaker internal competition make much of a difference?

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘SAG 2023 Television Predictions’ is closed to new replies.