Home Forums Television SAG Television Predictions: 2023

SAG Television Predictions: 2023

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Manav
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

With how badly Parks and Recreation and The Good Place performed at SAG, I hesitate to predict Abbott Elementary to be win-competitive. Depending on how it performs at the Emmys, it might not even be nominated at all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I wonder if Jeff Bridges could randomly show up in the drama actor category. The Old Man seems to be a big commercial hit and we know how much SAG love their veterans.

Lithgow and ensemble seem like sure bets at this point too. However, Bridges should be up for the win. The physicality of his performance at his age is extremely impressive in and of itself.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

With how badly Parks and Recreation and The Good Place performed at SAG, I hesitate to predict Abbott Elementary to be win-competitive. Depending on how it performs at the Emmys, it might not even be nominated at all.

Well for every Parks and Recreation and The Good Place, there’s Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory and Black-ish that performed decently-great at SAG. Abbott Elementary is virtually kind of a successor to the 4 time SAG Ensemble winner and 25-time SAG nominee Modern Family as ABC’s flagship series and has a ton of buzz going for it. I’d atleast expect it to get into Ensemble if not more

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

None of the actors from Parks and Rec outside of Poehler were ever nominated at the Emmys though and The Good Place always had something standing in its way (the only shot it really had was in 2019 when the primary guilds went all out for it and it was never getting in over Maisel, Atlanta or Barry and we later learned just how big The Kominsky Method and GLOW both were as SAG favourites).

Abbott Elementary is not only the most acclaimed a freshman network comedy has been in a while but it’s also a big audience hit (at least on streaming) and SAG has been respondent to network comedies with that amount of buzz going for it during its freshman season. Now before any responds with linear ratings from almost a decade ago I’ll acknowledge that I’m aware we’re in very different times and that Abbott‘s linear ratings aren’t as big as Black-ish and The Office’s were but if the former could get nominated when it only ever maxed out to 3 acting Emmy nominations in 1 year (one of which was a guest nod for Wanda Sykes) and the latter could keep getting nominated past its prime then I don’t really see why Abbott should suffer in an era where network sitcoms and specifically the mockumentary genre are being seen through tinted glasses with nostalgic lenses.

A world where Abbott only gets the show and Brunson in at the Emmys and then misses out in a lineup of say Barry, Hacks, Maisel, Only Murders and Ted Lasso is entirely within the realms of possibility but if it manages to get either James or Ralph in and Ted Lasso does miss guild eligibility as has been rumoured earlier on in this thread, I just don’t see how it would miss. There’s no The Great or The Kominsky Method in its way and I’d be surprised if either Dead to Me (which was nominated in an ultra weak comedy field) or stuff like Atlanta, The Flight Attendant and Russian Doll made it in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

If Ted Lasso is not elegible, Abbott is so winning Ensemble.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RR1989
    Topics:

Drama Ensemble:
    Better Call Saul
    The Crown
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    Ozark
    Stranger Things

Drama Male Actor:
    Jason Bateman, Ozark
    Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
    Jonathan Pryce, The Crown
    Adam Scott, Severance
    Dominic West, The Crown

Drama Female Actor:
    Elizabeth Debicki, The Crown
    Julia Garner, Ozark
    Laura Linney, Ozark
    Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid’s Tale
    Imelda Staunton, The Crown

Comedy Ensemble:
    Abbott Elementary
    Barry
    Hacks
    Only Murders in the Building
    Ted Lasso

Comedy Male Actor:
    Brett Goldstein, Ted Lasso
    Bill Hader, Barry
    Steve Martin, Only Murders in the Building
    Martin Short, Only Murders in the Building
    Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso

Comedy Female Actor:
    Quinta Brunson, Abbott Elementary
    Kaley Cuoco, The Flight Attendant
    Jean Smart, Hacks
    Juno Temple, Ted Lasso
    Hannah Waddingham, Ted Lasso

Limited/Movie Actor:
    Colin Firth, The Staircase
    Andrew Garfield, Under the Banner of Heaven
    Evan Peters, Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story
    Seth Rogen, Pam & Tommy
    Sebastian Stan, Pam & Tommy

Limited/Movie Actress:
    Toni Collette, The Staircase
    Jennifer Coolidge, The White Lotus: Sicily
    Julia Garner, Inventing Anna
    Lily James, Pam & Tommy
    Amanda Seyfried, The Dropout

Stunt Ensemble:
    The Boys
    Cobra Kai
    House of the Dragon
    Stranger Things
    Westworld

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24Kgirl
    Topics:

I read somewhere a show only needs to air 6 episodes to be eligible (and not all episodes in a season). Does anyone know if that’s true? If so that could work in Ted Lasso favor if they premier late in the year (and not in 2023).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I read somewhere a show only needs to air 6 episodes to be eligible (and not all episodes in a season). Does anyone know if that’s true? If so that could work in Ted Lasso favor if they premier late in the year (and not in 2023).

Actually, less. Four.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Always love making these even if it’s pointless.

SAG Ensemble – Drama
    The Crown (Winner)
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    Ozark
    Severance
    Stranger Things

SAG Ensemble – Comedy
    Abbott Elementary
    Hacks
    The Marvelous Mrs Maisel (are people really predicting it to miss or it won’t be eligible ?)
    Ted Lasso (Winner)

Drama Actor
    Jason Bateman – Ozark
    Bob Odenkirk – Better Call Saul (Winner)
    Jonathan Pryce – The Crown
    Adam Scott – Severance
    John Turturro – Severance

Drama Actress
    Elizabeth Debicki – The Crown
    Julia Garner – Ozark
    Laura Linney – Ozark
    Elisabeth Moss – The Handmaid’s Tale
    Imelda Staunton – The Crown (Winner)

Comedy Actor
    Bill Hader – Barry
    Steve Martin – Only Murders in the Building
    Tony Shalhoub – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    Martin Short – Only Murders in the Building
    Jason Sudeikis – Ted Lasso (Winner)

Comedy Actress
    Christina Applegate – DTM
    Rachel Brosnahan – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    Quinta Brunson – Abbott Elementary
    Jean Smart – Hacks (Winner)
    Hannah Waddingham – Ted Lasso

Limited/Movie Actor
    Woody Harrelson – The White House Plumbers
    Michael Imperioli – The White Lotus
    F. Murray Abraham – The White Lotus
    Evan Peters – Monster (Winner)
    Sebastian Stan – Pam & Tommy

Limited/Movie Actress
    Uzo Aduba – Dopesick: The Return
    Jennifer Coolidge – The White Lotus
    Lily James – Pam & Tommy
    Julia Garner – Inventing Anna
    Amanda Seyfried – The Dropout (Winner)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Always love making these even if it’s pointless.

SAG Ensemble – Comedy
    Abbott Elementary
    Hacks
    The Marvelous Mrs Maisel (are people really predicting it to miss or it won’t be eligible ?)
    Ted Lasso (Winner)

Season 4 premiered in February, so it’s definitely eligible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Dopesick : The Return lol.

It is eligible.

Even if it does miss ensemble I just don’t see why the show would suddenly go from having 2 wins to getting 0 nominations. Not even This is Us got shut out at SAG when it missed ensemble for the first time and it went on to not even got nominated for drama series at the Emmys.

The TV Academy’s actors branch already showed this year that the show is still well liked even though it’s not as big as it once was with the core trio getting nominated and SAG have already shown that they like the show more than the TV Academy does (presumably because it’s on Amazon and it’s a period piece, both of which they’ve gravitated more towards in the past than the Emmys).

I don’t think it’s “locked” anywhere (and in fact I don’t have any of the individual actors getting in right now, although I do have them around 6th in both categories, because of competition) but if Ted Lasso does end up missing eligibility it would be quite weird if it doesn’t at least get one of Brosnahan and Shalhoub in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Clement
    Topics:

People are really underestimating Euphoria again, I doubt it gets ensemble but Zendaya has become too big to miss for a show that become a phenomenon, people might have qualms about the quality of season 2 but one thing is for sure, eyes were glued to it and it was definitely entertaining.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

People are really underestimating Euphoria again, I doubt it gets ensemble but Zendaya has become too big to miss for a show that become a phenomenon, people might have qualms about the quality of season 2 but one thing is for sure, eyes were glued to it and it was definitely entertaining.

With this particular voting body I don’t see it. It’s Pose all over again except that it’s way more popular.

And with The Crown and Ozark surely getting 4 spots Zendaya will have to deal with Moss, who has 7 SAG nominations for three different shows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

With this particular voting body I don’t see it. It’s Pose all over again except that it’s way more popular. And with The Crown and Ozark surely getting 4 spots Zendaya will have to deal with Moss, who has 7 SAG nominations for three different shows.

Yeah, I think Zendaya could just not happen because of SAG tastes – they’re also kind of historically weak on HBO drama actresses and frequently favour Netflix (i.e Snook and Newton are the only two in over a decade, Snook lost etc, in 2021 they only nominated Netflix actresses, they blanked GoT actresses over and over).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It would be strange for a show to get 4 acting Emmy nominations and then get completely shut out at SAG.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.