Home Forums Television 2022 Golden Globes (TV): No One’s Ever Really Gone…

2022 Golden Globes (TV): No One’s Ever Really Gone…

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 386 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
20 hours ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
forwardswill
  • Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I used to love to spending time predicting these. It was fun because it started off the television awards season and there would always be some twists in wins whether nasty or nice that would be at times difficult to predict but enjoyable. But after some reflection I just can’t bring myself to predicting these. The HFPA is a corrupt organisation with an extreme case of institutional racism (not just in their choices for nominations but also their treatment of black journalists and BIPOC talent) and from the account of some high profile actors casual sexism too and I’m really going to need to see changes really visibly put into practice before I can feel comfortable predicting/discussing these.

Absolutely agreed. With the Globes officially back (sans a telecast), I had to think about it as a Black awards fan, and I just don’t feel like giving the messy HFPA the attention and relevance it is desperately and undyingly craving. The pettiness with the Critics Choice feels to me that their time away from the shred of limelight they once had is going to be spent in vain and that they are only making these changes out of faux sincerity to propel themselves back to their previous significance in the awards race and in the industry, no matter how successful that pursuit may or may not be. They are going to have to do more than just hire Black journalists to make up for the decades of scandals, controversy, mistreatment, and utter lack of representation they’ve allowed for. Not to mention, the yearly disgusting and nonsensically confusing snubs (recently, Youn Yuh-jung and Michaela Coel/I May Destroy You to name a few).

FYC -
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, The Lost Daughter, Mass
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Fran Kranz
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Corey Hawkins, Jason Isaacs
    Supporting Actress: Ruth Negga, Kirsten Dunst, Rebecca Ferguson, Martha Plimpton, Ann Dowd
    O. Screenplay: Spencer, Mass
    A. Screenplay: The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter
    Score: Jonny Greenwood (Dog/Spencer)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Critics Choice are a sham. They don’t honour critical favourites but try to go with the flow so as to appear relevant in the Oscar race. That’s it!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Critics Choice are a sham. They don’t honour critical favourites but try to go with the flow so as to appear relevant in the Oscar race. That’s it!

Agree. The film side of critics choice (BFCA) is an absolute joke since The Force Awakens debacle.

The television side (BTJA) is generally fantastic at highlighting unrecognised shows and performers, have been majority line up with the actual critically census of the year.

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I think it’s a shame that some in this forum don’t see the impact that is going to be had on non-blockbuster movies and, to a lesser extent, TV shows if a reformed Golden Globes isn’t supported vs. a complete erasure of them from our industry. Ultimately, without them there will only be two nights in the entire year where such content is recognised and brought attention to in front of millions. Without the Globes, there will also be a knock on effect as fewer people will have watched “awards season” movies by the time the Oscars roll around meaning an even steeper drop off for these. Exacerbated by the pandemic, we are in dangerous times where our kinds of films especially are in danger of being eradicated from the big screen in favour of popcorn flicks (not that these don’t have their own merits).

Personally – and maybe this is just in my nature – now that the Globes have made some significant changes already (the partnership with the NAACP is huge) I choose to trust that they are on their way to reform and so I will recommence my interest in them and predict them. Just as I did when the Oscars and BAFTAs were rightfully vilified in their SoWhite moments. I trusted. If, however, the Globes begin to regress again, I will not hesitate to return to admonishment and expect others to return to it also and even more substantially than last time.

I’m sure a strong reason many do not want them back is because they have never liked some of their choices anyway. But, in my view, this ignores the vastly bigger picture in these precarious times for art.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I think it’s a shame that some in this forum don’t see the impact that is going to be had on non-blockbuster movies and, to a lesser extent, TV shows if a reformed Golden Globes isn’t supported vs. a complete erasure of them from our industry. Ultimately, without them there will only be two nights in the entire year where such content is recognised and brought attention to in front of millions. Without the Globes, there will also be a knock on effect as fewer people will have watched “awards season” movies by the time the Oscars roll around meaning an even steeper drop off for these. Exacerbated by the pandemic, we are in dangerous times where our kinds of films especially are in danger of being eradicated from the big screen in favour of popcorn flicks (not that these don’t have their own merits).

This is great 👏👏👏,thought provoking and completely deserves a conversation of its own. Bravo!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

My two cents: I wouldn’t mind a year off, i think they do need more time to evaluate their flaws and problematic behavior, it definitely feels rushed now and like they are desperate to not losing the relevance they have/had (all the bickering with the Critics Choice of all things 💀).
    That said, if they were to be around, i will predict them because I’m an addict.

I don’t think many studios will send their movies anyways, the optics would be strange. For TV ofc it will work because there’s nothing significant coming late year, but idk, feels like it will be an off ceremony.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Let’s see how the Globes turn out this year. One thing is for sure: if nominated, McDormand won’t show up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

DRAMA SERIES
    Lupin
    Pose
    Severance
    Squid Game
    Succession

DRAMA ACTOR
    Brian Cox, Succession
    Billy Porter, Pose
    Jeremy Strong, Succession
    Omar Sy, Lupin
    Forest Whitaker, Godfather of Harlem

DRAMA ACTRESS
    Uzo Aduba, In Treatment
    Jennifer Aniston, The Morning Show
    Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid’s Tale
    Mj Rodriguez, Pose
    Patricia Arquette, Severance

COMEDY SERIES
    The Great
    Hacks
    Insecure
    Only Murders in the Building
    Ted Lasso

COMEDY ACTOR
    Don Cheadle, Black Monday
    Nicholas Hoult, The Great
    Steve Martin, Only Murders in the Building
    Martin Short, Only Murders in the Building
    Jason Sudekis, Ted Lasso

COMEDY ACTRESS
    Selena Gomez, Only Murders in the Building
    Sandra Oh, The Chair
    Sarah Jessica Parker, And Just Like That
    Issa Rae, Insecure
    Jean Smart, Hacks

LIMITED SERIES
    Impeachment: American Crime Story
    Maid
    Mare of Easttown
    The Underground Railroad
    The White Lotus

LIMITED ACTOR
    Murray Bartlett, The White Lotus
    Oscar Isaac, Scenes from a Marriage
    Michael Keaton, Dopestick
    Ewan McGregor, Halston
    Clive Owen, Impeachment: American Crime Story

LIMITED ACTRESS
    Jessica Chastain, Scenes from a Marriage
    Cynthia Erivo, Genius: Aretha
    Thuso Mbedu, The Underground Railroad
    Margaret Qualley, Maid
    Kate Winslet, Mare of Easttown

SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Billy Crudup, The Morning Show
    Kieran Culkin, Succession
    Brett Goldstein, Ted Lasso
    Evan Peters, Mare of Easttown
    Courtney B. Vance, Genius: Aretha

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Jennifer Coolidge, The White Lotus
    Renee Elise Goldsberry, Girls5Eva
    Andie Macdowell, Maid
    Julianne Nicholson, Mare of Easttown
    Sarah Snook, Succession

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

I think it’s a shame that some in this forum don’t see the impact that is going to be had on non-blockbuster movies and, to a lesser extent, TV shows if a reformed Golden Globes isn’t supported vs. a complete erasure of them from our industry.

I respect this take a lot, I think where we diverge is its hard for me to think of the Globes as holding up the dignity of art/boosting awareness for non-franchise films when we know that they’re being bought off left and right (and always have been). I understand that you think the necessary changes have been made and that’s fine, I just personally think a year after we heard about the Emily in Paris set visits and the private concert from Sia (just to name a few) they can take a time out year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I respect this take a lot, I think where we diverge is its hard for me to think of the Globes as holding up the dignity of art/boosting awareness for non-franchise films when we know that they’re being bought off left and right (and always have been). I understand that you think the necessary changes have been made and that’s fine, I just personally think a year after we heard about the Emily in Paris set visits and the private concert from Sia (just to name a few) they can take a time out year.

I definitely understand this and if we’re still getting nominations like those in December I would agree wholeheartedly.

What I would say is that it’s ultimately less about the minority of crappy shit that the HFPA nominates by being bought or because of their weird, star grabby taste but more about the majority of perfectly decent nominees that they do still shine a light on for a big audience. Because it’s not like most of the nominees are ever Emily in Paris types. I’d even say these standout more because the rest of the fields are usually acceptable. The HFPA has never been, to use your phrase, “holding up the dignity of art” but they have always still, perhaps inadvertently, bolstered many smaller awards season movies. Moreover, on the TV side, their affection for new shows always ensures that many series that may have otherwise drifted under the radar have been recognised. Similarly, their desire to spread the wealth has restricted the likes of Netflix from dominating in the same way that it has done at SAG and is starting to do at the Emmys.

Plus, given that one of the first actions taken by the HFPA was to ban this kind of bribery, there should technically be far fewer of those types of nominees. Again, I am trusting that this will come to fruition and I am supporting a reformed HFPA not the one of old. We shall see the reality soon.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

s. Moreover, on the TV side, their affection for new shows always ensures that many series that may have otherwise drifted under the radar have been recognised. Similarly, their desire to spread the wealth has restricted the likes of Netflix from dominating in the same way that it has done at SAG and is starting to do at the Emmys.

Yeah, I agree. I have complicated feelings around the Globes but this is a correct statement.

I also think (keeping in mind ensuring their members do otherwise meet membership criteria legitimately) the oft-given criticism that their members are older is a non-issue. If anything their tastes align closer to the network TV audiences that watch these ceremonies. If they want to nominate some Showtime show that 65 year olds love, why not? They’re still TV viewers.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Atleast the Golden Globes watch most nominated television series. SAG and Emmys follow name checking and show checking.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

At least SAG and the Emmys actually bothered to watch and award I May Destroy You.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

At least SAG and the Emmys actually bothered to watch and award I May Destroy You.

Quite. (Although you could say the reverse about their attitude to Small Axe, which the Globes did at least nominate.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Atleast the Golden Globes watch most nominated television series. SAG and Emmys follow name checking and show checking.

I’m not sure this is very productive as an argument given that not watching enough shows is always going to be better than watching more because you’re bribed to do so. All award shows have flaws but, even as we defend its potential continuation, we should not doubt for a second that the Globes needed reform more than any other.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 386 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.