Home Forums Television Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)

Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 513 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Yeah outside of SNL/Crown rotating casts I just counted five nominations of people who weren’t original cast members since the rule change and all of them have much higher profiles than Niles (two of them were Meryl Streep for BLL and Olivia Colman for Fleabag).

REPLY0IGNOREREPORT

Olivia was an original Fleabag cast member

FYC WINTER TV AWARDS

Mare of Easttown and The White Lotus in all categories including: Kate Winslet, Jennifer Coolidge and Murray Bartlett

Ted Lasso in all categories

The Handmaids Tale in all categories including Series, The Morning Show in categories including Jennifer Aniston and Billy Crudup

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah outside of SNL/Crown rotating casts I just counted five nominations of people who weren’t original cast members since the rule change and all of them have much higher profiles than Niles (two of them were Meryl Streep for BLL and Olivia Colman for Fleabag).

Olivia Colman was in both seasons of Fleabag.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Olivia Colman was in both seasons of Fleabag.

ah dear. you are right. It’s 1.05 here forgive my foggy memory.

Other than that I believe the only other supporting actor in comedy was Mayim Bialik and even then she started getting nominated in the old system.

Other are Streep, Bradley Whitford (and also after guest the year prior) and Gwendoline Christie (who was not previously on the ballot)

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I’m not even going to predict her regardless because they obviously don’t like lesser known actors who aren’t in the show from the start.

I think it has more to do with the acting branch not watching the recent seasons and voting based on past seasons.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Other are Streep, Bradley Whitford (and also after guest the year prior) and Gwendoline Christie (who was not previously on the ballot)

I counted these seven:

Meryl Streep (BLL)
    Sterling K Brown (Maisel)
    Gwendoline Christie (GoT)
    Mahershala Ali (Ramy)
    Paul Reiser (The Kominsky Method)
    Bradley Whitford (THT)
    Giancarlo Esposito (BCS)

Profile picture
    Villeneuve
    Topics:

Miss Oh’s first rave 😍😍😭 https://t.co/1wwXr9ujws

“Oh consistently does the kind of acting that can smooth bumpy scripts to sell just about anything. It’s a relief, then, to see her dig into something like “The Chair,” which only sparingly requires that skill. Otherwise, she just gets to act the hell out of her role, and what a treat to get to see her do it.” 😭😭😭😭😭😭Im so happy for her and Holland Taylor (also Peet)

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

That’s why it lost Directing to Fleabag ? Bill Hader also wouldn’t beat Sudeikis, the guy who stopped the Schitt’s Creek sweep at the winter awards. Barry S1 also was in a weak year in which shows like Glow broke in and the freaking Will and Grace revival was predicted to be nominated. The show also never got a Program of the Year nomination at TCA like Hacks got, kicking The Queen’s Gambit and The Crown out, despite being an acclaimed show with critics.

Fleabag was a beast. I don’t see the loss as a weakness, when Barry eventually did win both WGA and DGA in its absence. Smart would lose to PWB too so I don’t know what that’s going to prove.

GLOW in its first season was not some weak contender either. It had more noms than 6/8 comedies this year and would be just behind TFA this year in the worst case scenario. If TCA expanded their slots like they did this year, Barry would most likely be in for PotY too (in more competitive years).

It is also tied for the most nominated comedy at the guilds. Outside of Veep, it has been perhaps HBO’s strongest comedy. I doubt it’d be any less of a priority for them than their other shows.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Miss Oh’s first rave https://t.co/1wwXr9ujws

Sorry to the other hoes but we are getting Miss Oh her Emmy next year no matter what.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

The Chair is getting great reviews, Oh and Taylor are raved

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Miss Oh coming to stomp twice next year. Queen is indeed coming. The girlies should be worried.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Paulson-Taylor’s dominance. Both of them will win stuff next year, I fear.

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Meryl Streep (BLL) Sterling K Brown (Maisel) Gwendoline Christie (GoT) Mahershala Ali (Ramy) Paul Reiser (The Kominsky Method) Bradley Whitford (THT) Giancarlo Esposito (BCS)

Ah, told you I was tired. Six of those were previous Emmy (and/or Oscar) nominees for something else, though.

That said, I really like Niles, but it’s SO early and we might have an awful lot of contenders.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The Chair is getting great reviews, Oh and Taylor are raved

Yayyy I’m so happy.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t think anyone was saying Barry would be any less of a priority than Hacks. But with Hacks on their hands HBO will have a potential incumbent acting and writing winner at next year’s ceremony. The show received 15 nominations off the bat (including four in acting and three in editing) and it’s a show that is rapidly growing in audience and industry visibility and appreciation.

Weak field or not, if Smart wins the Emmy she’ll likely sweep at the winter awards too over people like Brosnahan and Rae and that in turn will only increase Hacks‘ visibility and momentum. Look at how well Ozark and Succession did after they made a breakthrough in wins in the weak drama field of 2019. Sure Succession‘s writing win and Ozark‘s directing and supporting actress wins weren’t the only reasons those shows built momentum and visibility for their next seasons but they did help.

HBO might want to keep Barry (arguably their most popular show that is still on air and not called Big Little Lies) for the following (and likely weaker) Emmy cycle not because it’s not a priority for them but because they have a packed slate for 2022 already.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.