Home Forums Television Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)

Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 513 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Catching up on Loki and it wouldn’t surprise me if it was indeed submitted for comedy by Disney. When I started hearing murmurs on here about it potentially submitting there I was a bit perplexed because it seemed tonally more dramatic than comedic but I’d honestly be fine if it submitted either way (which is a weird because I usually have such a tough stance on where certain dramedies should go.

Also whilst I haven’t realty considered any of the acting awards worthy in the three episodes I’ve seen (which is fine), I quite liked Sophia Di Martino in the third episode.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Catching up on Loki and it wouldn’t surprise me if it was indeed submitted for comedy by Disney. When I started hearing murmurs on here about it potentially submitting there

I agree with you – this is my thoughts on shows that are borderline – all dealing with “heightened” beings/caricatures. Not that ALL shows that do that should be in comedy though.

I also think you could probably make arguments for both Succession and Killing Eve at times but I feel more like they  are in the right place

• Lucifer (completely miscategorized. Basically a comedy, Murmurs they might change next year)
    • The Boys (very satitical. Might do better in comedy)
    • Loki (very light and smirky in tone)
    • The Umbrella Academy (see above)
    • Dr Who (I think you could make a case for this at times, and Loki and Doctor Who have some similar energy)
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The Boys is pretty much a drama.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Yeah, but I think you can probably make the same Succession argument about the satire element. It would probably be last on that list I’d feel comfortable with, if Succession is in drama, The Boys should be too. Loki is skewing closer to Lucifer.

I also looked through the old submission list and Sex Education probably should not have been submitting in drama either. No WONDER it wasn’t getting anywhere.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

It was nominated at the Satelittes as a Comedy. IMO it is mostly a Drama, but the Comedy placement is not absurd.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I agree with you – this is my thoughts on shows that are borderline – all dealing with “heightened” beings/caricatures. Not that ALL shows that do that should be in comedy though.

I also think you could probably make arguments for both Succession and Killing Eve at times but I feel more like they are in the right place

• Lucifer (completely miscategorized. Basically a comedy, Murmurs they might change next year)
    • The Boys (very satitical. Might do better in comedy)
    • Loki (very light and smirky in tone)
    • The Umbrella Academy (see above)
    • Dr Who (I think you could make a case for this at times, and Loki and Doctor Who have some similar energy)

Doctor Who is quite clearly a drama. It just has comedic elements to it at the same time. Kind of the same with A Very English Scandal and Sherlock (both from previous showrunners of Doctor Who).

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Doctor Who is quite clearly a drama. It just has comedic elements to it at the same time.

Yeah, you’re probably overall right. I feel like the current iteration is a little more erring comedic but as an overall product I think it would be hard to make the argument and I suspect I tend to tune in for the more comedic bits.

Loki is probably the closest after Lucifer.

Profile picture
    DanC
    Topics:

While Loki is a very fun, swashbuckling adventure show, I don’t see it as a comedy. There are jokes but if Loki is a comedy, so is something like Stranger Things. I can’t see Disney category frauding it into comedy to be honest. (especially since they didn’t category fraud WandaVision into comedy)

The Boys has some very intense, dramatic moments but so does something like Barry. If I was the head of Amazon’s campaign team, I would have campaigned it in comedy. The show itself is very satirical and has a bunch of gross-out jokes in it. I know I’ll get some flack for this but I’m honestly in the “Succession is kind of a comedy” camp also.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I just can’t see The Boys as a comedy, sure, it’s a satire for super heros, but most of the scenes are extremely brutal.
    Basically everything in S2 finale for example, it has some comedy here and there, but i would rank as a Drama with comedic elements, like Succession.

Killing Eve on the other hand has always felt like a comedy to me.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Killing Eve very much is a drama (it’s at the end of the day a thriller about obsession). It just has comedic elements added on to it to drive the story and humanise Villanelle as a character.

It is however more comedic than something like The Flight Attendant (also a drama).

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think the fact that we can’t agree probably is where we are all at with comedy post the stock-sitcom era.

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Cecily Strong really is amazing in Schmigadoon! It’s a shame that Comedy Actress is so competitive next year and that Apple did such a bad job campaigning their non-Ted Lasso shows.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

If Hacks keeps the same quality, it will definitely be a contender for the win, not 6th. The show overperformed and got 15 nominations. If it had submitted “New Eyes” and “I Think She Will” in Writing/Directing, I’m sure it would have had more nominations.

Comedy Series:

1- Ted Lasso (Apple TV +)
    2- Hacks (HBO Max)
    3- The Marvelous Mrs Maisel (Amazon Prime Video)
    4- Insecure (HBO)
    5- What We do in the Shadows (FX)
    6- Russian Doll (Netflix)
    7- The Great (Hulu)
    8- Atlanta (FX)

Lead Actor – Comedy Series:
    1- Jason Sudeikis – Ted Lasso
    2- Nicholas Hoult – The Great
    3- Donald Glover – Atlanta
    4- I don’t care – I don’t care
    5- I don’t care – I don’t care
    6- I don’t care – I don’t care

Lead Actress – Comedy
    1- Jean Smart – Hacks
    2- Issa Rae – Insecure
    3- Rachel Brosnahan – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    4- Natasha Lyonne – Russian Doll
    5- Elle Fanning – The Great
    6- Sandra Oh – The Chair

Supporting Actor – Comedy:
    1- Tony Shalhoub – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    2- Brett Goldstein – Ted Lasso
    3- Bowen Yang – Saturday Night Live
    4- Carl Clemons Hopkins – Hacks
    5- Nick Mohammed – Ted Lasso
    6- Michael Che – Saturday Night Live
    7- Jay Ellis – Insecure
    8- Brendan Hunt – Ted Lasso

Supporting Actress – Comedy
    1- Hannah Waddingham – Ted Lasso
    2- Kate McKinnon – Saturday Night Live
    3- Alex Borstein – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    4- Hannah Einbinder – Hacks
    5- Yvonne Oriji – Insecure
    6- Juno Temple – Ted Lasso
    7- Meg Stalter – Hacks
    8- Marin Hinkle – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Hacks keeps the same quality, it will definitely be a contender for the win, not 6th.

I agree. But I have it sixth in terms of nominations likelihood for now until we saw what happens to it at the guilds (same with The Great).

I’m assuming Barry and TFA miss but even with them I feel like a lot of the returning shows have win competitive potential. Maybe not Maisel or Atlanta (although I do think they could end up being top 4/5 if they still have the support they’ve had in previous years, especially the former with its BTL love) and not Curb Your Enthusiasm because I feel like those three shows would need to pull a Crown esque type resurgence to be win competitive. But The Great, Hacks, Ted Lasso, What We Do in the Shadows and maybe (if their guild under-performance was just a blip) Insecure and Russian Doll too. I’m very interested to see if HBO pair Insecure with Succesion. It could really help the show like Barry was when it was paired with GoT.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Also every year it always feel easy to tell when a field is getting competitive when one has seen so many eligible shows in a field already. I’ve seen or an still watching seven eligible comedies (which is crazy because it’s almost half of what I saw throughout the entirety of the 2020-21 season) compared to two dramas and one limited series.

This field is going to be a bloodbath.

Oscars FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.