Home Forums Television Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)

Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 513 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I mean, Veep still got 4 acting nods right? And that season was not loved by the industry as it was by critics, so it makes sense.
    I don’t know, black-ish feels like something they would default to for a last season, but again, the slate is packed so it can go either way.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

You say that but this is the same academy that dropped Baranski, Davis and Patinkin for their final seasons and turned against Veep on its final go. They’re unpredictable when it comes to sentimentality towards ending shows.

I don’t think it’s about sentimentality, I think it’s about comedy sensibilities and familiarity. Despite the Apple TV and budget of it all, the only think that probably would prevent Ted Lasso airing on network is the fact network would have disliked the English-ness of it. There’s a very good chance it would have done just as well on NBC.

The vast majority of shows they nominate tend to have a bunch of familiar, often ex network and SNL faces even if they’re not on network. They still have one solid foot in the past and I don’t think that’s changing all of a sudden.

Veep still did fairly well but even Iannucci acknowledges the tone has quickly become disarming (in that farce is too similar to reality) in light of political events and in retrospect the tide turn on that might have happened in between 2017-2019 as we got closer to the election.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

There’s a very good chance it would have done just as well on NBC.

Lol, NBC would put them in a studio with little outdoor scenes and censure basically everything about it
    Like, Roy Kent not cursing would’ve been so odd.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Lol, NBC would put them in a studio with little outdoor scenes and censure basically everything about it Like, Roy Kent not cursing would’ve been so odd.

Likely, and it’s better for being at Apple, but the bones of the show are still there, and Sudeikis would have been an extremely easy sell to an NBC audience and it would have benefited from being on the same network as actual soccer.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Ted Lasso is going to pull a similar thing to Maisel s2 and get two guest actress (Maisel got guest actor) nominees next year. One for Harriet Walter (the more famous guest star à la Rufus Sewell) and one for Ellie Taylor (the fan favourite character who has been on the show since season 1 à la Luke Kirby).

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The way I don’t even know who Elle Taylor is.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    CriticalEye
    Topics:

Greetings everyone.

I just got through watching The Chair from Netflix.  This is my 3rd time watching this series.  This series is one of the best comedies/dramas that I’ve seen.

I will never profess to be great at predicting Emmy wins.  But, I will say this.  Shows like Barry, Kominsky Method, Hacks and Ted Lasso are going to have a problem with  The Chair come the 2022 Emmys.

This is one of those shows that will be watched,  mostly by academia and highly intellectual individuals.  Geeks(aka ComicBook/Anime lovers) and fantasy fans,  mostly,  won’t be able to digest this.  Not so much.

But, I suspect that when the Emmy voters are sitting down and watching this series, they will come to the same conclusion that I did, after watching it.  It’s a great show from top to bottom.

Production, Writing and Acting is top notch.  I even went as far as to watch some other,  current lauded comedy series,  that shall not be named.  And, I have to say, The Chair is a threat.  Emmy wise.

In my opinion, I think in the acting category, The Chair is going to rack up quite a few Emmy noms from Lead Actor/Actress and Best Supporting Actor/Actress.  They will more than likely get an Emmy nod for Writing as well.

I think the 2021 Emmy for Best Comedy Series is between Ted Lasso and Hacks.  I am leaning closer to Hacks.  But, if Ted Lasso does win in 2021, it will be next to impossible for season 2 of Ted Lasso to beat The Chair in 2022.  I’ve seen some of Ted Lasso’s season 2.

The biggest challenge in 2022 for The Chair,  will come from either Hacks 2nd season.  Or, an upcoming new comedy series,  that’s scheduled to be released between now and next years cut-off mark.

Folks.  The Chair is the dark horse that will surprise people in the Emmys(2022).  But, we will all have an indication of this during the Golden Globes and SAG.  The Golden Globes is to be determined,  since several Hollywood Entertainment Entities boycotted the award show, until a real change has been made over there.

But, until then, I suspect that Sandra Oh will win Best Actor awards from Golden Globes and SAG.  And, I am quite sure Nana Mensah, Bob Balaban, Holland Taylor will be nominated for an Emmy as well.

Also, some may say, “Well,  why is The Chair only at #6 in Netflix top 10 tv show in the U.S?”  Again.  This show focuses on Academia.  And these folks really get exactly what the Chair is touching on.  While the emmy voters of the Television Academy,  will be judging,  based on the criteria that is set for them.

I am sticking with my guns.  The Chair will be the Dark Horse in the 2022 Emmys.  You heard it here first.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think fan favourite is pushing it. If I were to guess a fan fave from social it’s probably Danny Rojas (Cristo Fernandez)

People who I think could get in next year (I don’t have screeners to be fair) on the first half of the season:

Jason Sudeikis (slightly weaker as less central)

Hannah Waddingham (slightly weaker as less central)

Juno Temple (I think Juno is better than S1)

Brett Goldstein (I think Brett is better than S1)

Nick Mohammed (about equal)

MAYBE Toheeb Jimoh but I don’t think he qualifies as guest and I presume/guess won’t have Emmy submission contracted if he’s not making the opening credits.

Walter on name recognition

Would struggle:

Brendan Hunt

Jeremy Swift

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Greetings everyone.

I just got through watching The Chair from Netflix. This is my 3rd time watching this series. This series is one of the best comedies/dramas that I’ve seen.

I will never profess to be great at predicting Emmy wins. But, I will say this. Shows like Barry, Kominsky Method, Hacks and Ted Lasso are going to have a problem with The Chair come the 2022 Emmys.

This is one of those shows that will be watched, mostly by academia and highly intellectual individuals. Geeks(aka ComicBook/Anime lovers) and fantasy fans, mostly, won’t be able to digest this. Not so much.

But, I suspect that when the Emmy voters are sitting down and watching this series, they will come to the same conclusion that I did, after watching it. It’s a great show from top to bottom.

Production, Writing and Acting is top notch. I even went as far as to watch some other, current lauded comedy series, that shall not be named. And, I have to say, The Chair is a threat. Emmy wise.

In my opinion, I think in the acting category, The Chair is going to rack up quite a few Emmy noms from Lead Actor/Actress and Best Supporting Actor/Actress. They will more than likely get an Emmy nod for Writing as well.

I think the 2021 Emmy for Best Comedy Series is between Ted Lasso and Hacks. I am leaning closer to Hacks. But, if Ted Lasso does win in 2021, it will be next to impossible for season 2 of Ted Lasso to beat The Chair in 2022. I’ve seen some of Ted Lasso’s season 2.

The biggest challenge in 2022 for The Chair, will come from either Hacks 2nd season. Or, an upcoming new comedy series, that’s scheduled to be released between now and next years cut-off mark.

Folks. The Chair is the dark horse that will surprise people in the Emmys(2022). But, we will all have an indication of this during the Golden Globes and SAG. The Golden Globes is to be determined, since several Hollywood Entertainment Entities boycotted the award show, until a real change has been made over there.

But, until then, I suspect that Sandra Oh will win Best Actor awards from Golden Globes and SAG. And, I am quite sure Nana Mensah, Bob Balaban, Holland Taylor will be nominated for an Emmy as well.

Also, some may say, “Well, why is The Chair only at #6 in Netflix top 10 tv show in the U.S?” Again. This show focuses on Academia. And these folks really get exactly what the Chair is touching on. While the emmy voters of the Television Academy, will be judging, based on the criteria that is set for them.

I am sticking with my guns. The Chair will be the Dark Horse in the 2022 Emmys. You heard it here first.

And I thought I was over-hyping The Chair…

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

But, if Ted Lasso does win in 2021, it will be next to impossible for season 2 of Ted Lasso to beat The Chair in 2022.

GIRL WHAT

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Wow, that was A LOT. Omg.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

CriticalEye spilled. Ted Lasso better watch its back because The Chair is coming.

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

Series:

1. Ted Lasso
    2. Hacks
    3. Atlanta
    4. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    5. The Great
    6. PEN15
    7. Barry
    8. What We Do in the Shadows

Actor:

1. Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso
    2. Bill Hader, Barry
    3. Donald Glover, Atlanta
    4. Nicholas Hoult, The Great
    5. Anthony Anderson, Black-ish
    6. Don Cheadle, Black Monday

Actress:

1. Sandra Oh, The Chair
    2. Jean Smart, Hacks
    3. Elle Fanning, The Great
    4. Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    5. Issa Rae, Insecure
    6. Tracee Ellis Ross, Black-ish

Supporting Actor:

1. Brett Goldstein, Ted Lasso
    2. Henry Winkler, Barry
    3. Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    4. Brian Tyree Henry, Atlanta
    5. Bowen Yang, Saturday Night Live
    6. Kenan Thompson, Saturday Night Live
    7. Anthony Carrigan, Barry
    8. Andre Braugher, Brooklyn-99

Supporting Actress:

1. Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    2. Hannah Waddingham, Ted Lasso
    3. Hannah Einbinder, Hacks
    4. Juno Temple, Ted Lasso
    5. Meg Stalter, Hacks
    6. Marin Hinkle, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    7. Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live
    8. Sarah Goldberg, Barry

Letterboxd: Brayfers

Profile picture
    BetteDavisEyes
    Topics:

Series: Ted Lasso

Actor: Jason Sudeikis (Ted Lasso)

Actress: Sandra Oh (The Chair)

Supporting Actor: Brett Goldstein (Ted Lasso)

Supporting Actress: Hannah Waddingham (Ted Lasso)

Writing: Insecure (Hoping Issa Rae gets her overdue Emmy)

Directing: Ted Lasso or Atlanta

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.