Home Forums Television Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)

Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 513 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

I spent Saturday watching The Chair (I liked it). Right now, I’d bet the main possibilities at the Emmy are Sandra Oh and Holland Taylor. We’ll have to wait for the winter awards to get a better idea of the series’ potential.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

CriticalEye spilled. Ted Lasso better watch its back because The Chair is coming.

To lose to Hacks wbk.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I think fan favourite is pushing it.

Yep I had to look her up and then realised she plays my least favourite character, unconvincingly and unfunnily.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Catching up on The Chair after that hmm.. interesting comment
    Jay Duplass is 100% lead right? Or are we gonna get another Hannah Einbinder situation?

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Jay Duplass is 100% lead right?

Yes

Or are we gonna get another Hannah Einbinder situation?

And yes

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

And yes

A tragedy I’m afraid

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I thought The Chair was really really good and I thought both Oh and Taylor were excellent (I really hope they manage to grab nominations at least somewhere) but there is one qualm I had with the show that really stopped it from reaching a “10/10 first season show” status with me.

*******SPOILERS FOR THE CHAIR BELOW*******

I am so pissed with Duplass’ character’s sub-plot taking up too much room in the show. I disagree with the argument Oh was under-utilised (I think considering the position of her character on the show that her having a “more senior” role whilst the show explored multiple individual character arcs exploring the goings on of the university fit the story world and tone quite well) and I thought she had excellent “Emmy clip” worthy scenes in each episode (those scenes with her and her character’s daughter were so captivating!)

However it almost felt like by the end of the show it felt like a romantic comedy where she gives up everything for a straight white man? I don’t mind a little will they won’t they but it almost felt like Duplass’ character had more of a meaty arc than Oh’s and whilst the show had great satirical takes on the goings on of a university’s English department, it felt a bit disappointing that a lot of time was wasted on the former when we could have had an intrinsic character study of the first female Asian-American chair of an English department (I do think there was an exploration of those things, especially in the first half of the show but there was a lot of potential wasted by spending too much time on Duplass’ character’s “redemption arc”).

*******END OF SPOILERS******* 

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I didn’t read the spoiler so I’m okay
    I do like so far Duplass’s storyline and i think they are managing both of them to be on the same level of screamtime and importance on the show. True co-leads

Hope it’s stays like that

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

2011: Laura Linney, Melissa McCarthy, Martha Plimpton
    2012: Zooey Deschanel, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Lena Dunham
    2013: Laura Dern
    2014: Taylor Schilling
    2015: Amy Schumer, Lily Tomlin
    2016: Ellie Kemper, Laurie Metcalf, Tracee Ellis Ross
    2017: Pamela Adlon, Jane Fonda
    2018: Rachel Brosnahan, Issa Rae
    2019: Christina Applegate, Natasha Lyonne, Phoebe Waller-Bridge
    2020: Linda Cardellini

2021: Aidy Bryant, Kaley Cuoco, Jean Smart

Every year there tends to be a first time nominee in the lead actress category. With how The Great (unless its second season underwhelms) seems likely to grow in support, Fanning seems the likeliest to be this year’s “first time nominee” but I wonder if we could see a second slip in as well? Demetriou? Gomez? Oh? Yorke?

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Sandra Oh feels safe to me if the show doesn’t completely dies, i feel like SAG will probably give her a boost.

Selena Gomez is someone who needed the Globes to start building momentum, maybe she’ll surprise at SAG but that category seems stacked enough for her.

As much as I ADORE Natasia, i doubt she’s happening unless WWDITS breaks through big and i don’t know what’s Yorke show.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I agree that Fanning is most likely. The Chair has been performing better than expected, but unfortunately it feels like the kind of thing that’ll slowly lose steam in the long march to next June. I’m still not convinced WWDITS will be an acting player (especially after PEN15 didn’t make it this year), but even if it does end up breaking through, it’ll probably be in the male categories. Actress just feels too packed.

I agree with you on What We Do in the Shadows. Unless it ends up being a frontrunner like Succession was last year I think it will just get the same noms as last time (plus maybe directing and Matt Berry). This season is airing too early and the competition is stacked. Almost all of its “main competitors” will have more recency than it somehow (although I guess it will have more recency than things like Only Murders in the Building and The Chair) and there would should have been no reason for it to miss SAG this year after breaking through almost everywhere else. Of course if it makes SAG this year, that’s a different story.

It would be category fraud but I think Natasia Demetriou should submit in supporting like Sarah Snook did. She’d have a better chance at a nomination there.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Are we sure Short won’t go lead? He seems to be very prominent in the show’s promo.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

ACTRESS:
    1. Jean Smart in Hacks
    2. Rachel Brosnahan in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    3. Issa Rae in Insecure
    4. Natasha Lyonne in Russian Doll
    5. Elle Fanning in The Great
    6. Tracee Ellis Ross in black-ish
    7. Sandra Oh in The Chair
    8. Selena Gomez in Only Murders in the Building
    9. Tatiana Maslany in She-Hulk
    10. Natasia Demetriou in What We Do in the Shadows

The way you could keep it going until like #20 because of how many people are there.

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.