Home Forums Television Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)

Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 513 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

When Jason and Bill Hader compete, there will be blood

Doesn’t matter when Hoult is winning.

2x Academy Award loser GODma Stone
    Future EGOTer BilLORD Eilish

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Updated Predictions. Comedy Supporting Actor 1. Henry Winkler, Barry 2. Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel 3. Brian Tyree Henry, Atlanta 4. Brett Goldstein, Ted Lasso 5. Anthony Carrigan, Barry 6. Bowen Yang, Saturday Night Live 7. Martin Short, Only Murders in the Buildin 8. Kenan Thompson, Saturday Night Live (Nick Mohammed – Ted Lasso, LaKeith Stanfield – Atlanta, Brendan Hunt – Ted Lasso, Nathan Lane – Only Murders in the Building)

Eternally underappreciated …

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

Honestly since we couldn’t have an Andrew Scott win two years ago this would’ve been the best alternative IMO. He stole the show in season 2.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Honestly since we couldn’t have an Andrew Scott win two years ago this would’ve been the best alternative IMO. He stole the show in season 2.

He’s right there.. 

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

He deserved his win #sorrynotsorry (although yes my personal favourite that year was Andrew Scott)

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

He deserved his win #sorrynotsorry (although yes my personal favourite that year was Andrew Scott)

1. Andrew Scott

2. Tony Shalhoub

3. Anthony Carrigan

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. Andrew Scott 2. Tony Shalhoub 3. Anthony Carrigan

The way I agree with this.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

I’m going to be honest, it’s been years since I watched season 2 and for some reason I thought that was the conclusion of his storyline on the show lol. If he’s back for season 3, then he’s definitely in the mix. I think Winkler and Carrigan would still get in before him though, and I’m not sure if Barry will be able to pull off 3 supporting noms again in such a competitive field.

Insecure is in an interesting case. On the one hand yes it has had a history of falling out in competitive fields but it also broke through quite a bit last year and won editing. So it does seem like it has certainly grown in support. However it also completely crashed at the guilds. I’m not taking its SAG snub too seriously because they have a weird history when they come to HBO shows (see Lovecraft and <i>Perry Mason</i> under-performing so much there this year or Watchmen and Succession the previous year) but there really is no reason why it shouldn’t have broken in at WGA and especially DGA with both those groups’ biases towards HBO. Especially when Curb Your Enthusiasm made it in at both over it. I think its chances really depend on the reception of the final season. I think either it will retain its series and two acting nominations or it will pull a Silicon Valley and get shut out completely. If it has an undeniable season in buzz I’ll reconsider. It is after all airing its final season quite early in the cycle and HBO and Max’s campaign team will have Hacks and potentially Barry and The Flight Attendant to campaign also.

Eh, I don’t know. I think it performed well last season because it was fresh in voters minds and there was just room for it. I’m not sure how the show, or Rae, will fare with competition as steep as what they’ll be facing next year. I definitely wouldn’t place her above Smart, Brosnahan, Fanning and Applegate. Then she has also formidable competition in Lyonne and Cardellini who are both returning nominees, and Cardellini’s show is huge with actors and will probably be released in the spring time right before the deadline. I think Rae could just be left in the dust, especially if there isn’t a lot of passion behind her or the show.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I’m going to be honest, it’s been years since I watched season 2 and for some reason I thought that was the conclusion of his storyline on the show lol. If he’s back for season 3, then he’s definitely in the mix. I think Winkler and Carrigan would still get in before him though, and I’m not sure if Barry will be able to pull off 3 supporting noms again in such a competitive field.

I know you’re right but he’s soooo good in season 1 and 2 and often overlooked for his masterful work there.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

I know you’re right but he’s soooo good in season 1 and 2 and often overlooked for his masterful work there.

Oh, I am right? I genuinely wasn’t 100% positive lol, I should probably rewatch the second season because I vaguely remember what happens to him in it. I agree though, I remember loving him in the second season, particularly. More so than Carrigan, who’s hype I never really got even if I think he’s also great on the show.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Eh, I don’t know. I think it performed well last season because it was fresh in voters minds and there was just room for it. I’m not sure how the show, or Rae, will fare with competition as steep as what they’ll be facing next year. I definitely wouldn’t place her above Smart, Brosnahan, Fanning and Applegate. Then she has also formidable competition in Lyonne and Cardellini who are both returning nominees, and Cardellini’s show is huge with actors and will probably be released in the spring time right before the deadline. I think Rae could just be left in the dust, especially if there isn’t a lot of passion behind her or the show.

Oh no I don’t disagree with you that Rae is likely behind those four.

I’m very interested to see what happens with Lyonne. Just like InsecureRussian Doll weirdly dropped off at the guilds after a strong Emmy performance. Although I guess it probably helps that the show will likely be getting released in February again.

I think Rae’s chances ultimately depend on how much passion there is for Insecure‘s final season and how much HBO campaigns for it.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Oh no I don’t disagree with you that Rae is likely behind those four. I’m very interested to see what happens with Lyonne. Just like Insecure, Russian Doll weirdly dropped off at the guilds after a strong Emmy performance. Although I guess it probably helps that the show will likely be getting released in February again. I think Rae’s chances ultimately depend on how much passion there is for Insecure‘s final season and how much HBO campaigns for it.

I don’t really look at the guilds for a show like Russian Doll aka shows that premiere in the spring where the first awards they run into are the Emmy’s. Something like Insecure though, if it does come out this fall/winter, then I’d be interested to see how it does at the guilds.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t really look at the guilds for a show like Russian Doll aka shows that premiere in the spring where the first awards they run into are the Emmy’s.

I kind of feel the same. But I am still fascinated as to how it missed PGA for shows like Schitt’s Creek and Veep with their bias towards Netflix shows.

Either way I hope it does well next season! It was my favourite show in the series lineup that year and it was really robbed of supporting actor (for Charlie Barnett) and directing nominations.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

Forgive me for asking I wasn’t following the Emmys closely that year but why were there 8 nominees for supporting actress yet only 6 supporting actor. Were the submissions for the former greater than the latter? or was it a result of ties?

With regards to the supporting actors of Barry, my personal favorite was Henry Winkler but the other two were deserving nominees as well. Personally, I thought that Tony Shalhoub should’ve won the year prior although I didn’t really mind him winning the following year because then atleast both him and Winkler won for their respective roles so it’s a win-win scenario.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Forgive me for asking I wasn’t following the Emmys closely that year but why were there 8 nominees for supporting actress yet only 6 supporting actor. Were the submissions for the former greater than the latter? or was it a result of ties? With regards to the supporting actors of Barry, my personal favorite was Henry Winkler but the other two were deserving nominees as well. Personally, I thought that Tony Shalhoub should’ve won the year prior although I didn’t really mind him winning the following year because then atleast both him and Winkler won for their respective roles so it’s a win-win scenario.

There used to be a 2% rule that was abolished last year. If a contender in 7th or 8th place finished within 2% of the 6th placer then they’d get nominated.

This is also why there were 7 nominees in drama actress that year.

Oscars FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.