Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 506 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Continue in Part 3.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Emmy for her.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

— This year’s winner and runner-up maybe (but most likely NOT) making eligibility next season (Jean Smart and Kaley Cuoco)

— Three former nominees potentially making eligibility next season (Christina Applegate, Linda Cardellini and Pamela Adlon)

Great post Mf617! I always find your thoughts on early races to be quite fascinating to read.

I think The Flight Attendant will miss eligibility but I don’t think Hacks will. The show’s first season started shooting last November and made it in and according to SpoilerTV its second season is shooting even earlier than the first was.

Dead to Me might miss though as production has reportedly been shut down as a result of Christina Applegate’s MS diagnosis.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Huns, it’s simple, if a show name-drops Ethan Hawke, I’ll root for it, specially coming from Sandra Oh

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Done in nominations likelihood (assuming Barry, Dead to Me and The Flight Attendant miss eligibility).

Comedy Series

1. Ted Lasso (AppleTV+)
    2. Hacks (HBO Max)
    3. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon)
    4. The Great (Hulu)
    5. Atlanta (FX)
    6. What We Do in the Shadows (FX)
    7. Russian Doll (Netflix)
    8. Insecure (HBO)

9. Only Murders in the Building (Hulu)
    10. Pen15 (Hulu)

Comedy Actress

1. Jean Smart, Hacks
    2. Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    3. Elle Fanning, The Great
    4. Natasha Lyonne, Russian Doll
    5. Issa Rae, Insecure
    6. Sandra Oh, The Chair

7. Tracee Ellis Ross, Black-ish
    8. Selena Gomez, Only Murders in the Building
    9. Natasia Demetriou, What We Do in the Shadows
    10. Tatiana Maslany, She-Hulk

Comedy Actor

1. Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso
    2. Nicholas Hoult, The Great
    3. Donald Glover, Atlanta
    4. Anthony Anderson, Black-ish
    5. Steve Martin, Only Murders in the Building
    6. Don Cheadle, Black Monday

7. Martin Short, Only Murders in the Building
    8. Matt Berry, What We Do in the Shadows
    9. Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
    10. William Zabka, Cobra Kai

Comedy S. Actress

1. Hannah Waddingham, Ted Lasso
    2. Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    3. Hannah Einbinder, Hacks
    4. Juno Temple, Ted Lasso
    5. Annie Murphy, Russian Doll
    6. Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live
    7. Zazie Beatz, Atlanta
    8. Meg Stalter, Hacks

9. Marin Hinkle, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    10. Yvonne Orji, Insecure

Comedy S. Actor

1. Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    2. Brett Goldstein, Ted Lasso
    3. Bowen Yang, Saturday Night Live
    4. Carl Clemons-Hopkins, Hacks
    5. Nick Mohammed, Ted Lasso
    6. Brian Tyree Henry, Atlanta
    7. Paul W. Downs, Hacks
    8. Charlie Barnett, Russian Doll

9. Luke Kirby, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    10. Kenan Thompson, Saturday Night Live

Comedy G. Actor

1. Milo Ventimiglia, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    2. SNL host
    3. SNL host
    4. John Waters, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    5. Nathan Lane, Only Murders in the Building
    6. SNL host

7. David Duchovny, The Chair
    8. Reid Scott, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    9. SNL host
    10. Martin Short, Schmigadoon!

Comedy G. Actress

1. Maya Rudolph, Saturday Night Live
    2. Gillian Anderson, The Great
    3. Kelly Bishop, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    4. Jane Adams, Hacks
    5. Ellie Taylor, Ted Lasso
    6. Harriet Walter, Ted Lasso 

7. Chloe Sevigny, Russian Doll
    8. Jane Lynch, Only Murders in the Building
    9. Tina Fey, Only Murders in the Building
    10. Jane Krakowski, Schmigadoon!

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If Dead to Me makes it, Applegate is third at absolute worst for the win, and I’m not just saying that because of the diagnosis.

I don’t know if I’d say third at worst but I agree Applegate is a threat to win for the final season of Dead to Me. A lot of passion seems to have amassed for her performance and I can see a narrative of this being a “career high” for her can develop.

My only worry here though is that (unlike in drama where people like Zendaya and Maslany have prevailed) on the comedy side, the performer from the stronger series contender tends to have the advantage (i.e. Hader, Glover, O’Hara, Waller-Bridge, JLD’s wins under this system were all when Veep won series) and I don’t think Dead to Me is really capable of being a stronger series contender than a show like<i> </i>Hacks. Of course trends can be broken but I’m cautious.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Dead to Me might miss though as production has reportedly been shut down as a result of Christina Applegate’s MS diagnosis.

I’d keep an eye on production for this and not assume it misses (as someone really familiar with MS). Depending on the nature  or type of MS it can be quite transient (statistically, it is MUCH more likely to be a transient flare, but I’m also conscious for Applegate to publicly announce it, it might be quite symptomatic).

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

David Duchovny

Gillian Anderson

I’m only noticing this now, it needs to happen

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’d keep an eye on production for this and not assume it misses (as someone really familiar with MS). Depending on the nature or type of MS it can be quite transient (statistically, it is MUCH more likely to be a transient flare, but I’m also conscious for Applegate to publicly announce it, it might be quite symptomatic).

The thing is I don’t think the resumption production can simply be levelled towards Applegate’s MS condition. Receiving news of a health diagnosis can be quite jarring so really it’s up to whether Applegate feels she’s able to return to production (and that should really be made in her own time, she shouldn’t feel forced to return to shooting the show if she’s not ready to).

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m only noticing this now, it needs to happen

When Gillian gets nominated for The First LadyThe Great and Sex Education next year.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

When Gillian gets nominated for The First Lady, The Great and Sex Education next year.

She really is working hard to give us iconic performances and we are living for it.

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

I’m thinking Only Murders in the Building is a no. With so many returning shows, they’ll be swamped. And we saw this year how they just continue to watch their faves…

Oscars FYC:

Visual Effects: Free Guy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.