Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 506 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Brendan Hunt finally justified his season 1 nomination
    Didn’t know he had it in him.

Profile picture
    marcus_emn
    Topics:

Brendan Hunt finally justified his season 1 nomination.

that’s not how it works honey. his nom for season 1 still is one of the worst ever in the category

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

that’s not how it works honey. his nom for season 1 still is one of the worst ever in the category

I know darling, i was just saying that finally he made an impact, should’ve phrased it better.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Re Sex Education Hannah Waddingham is one ep (like one scene – I’ve not watched the whole season but I did go check it out ) she does technically qualify as guest. I’d say this was pushing it, but, hey, Queen Foy.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Re Sex Education Hannah Waddingham is one ep (like one scene – I’ve not watched the whole season but I did go check it out ) she does technically qualify as guest. I’d say this was pushing it, but, hey, Queen Foy.

Double noms incoming.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I did this for drama so I thought I’d do it for comedy as well.

Each incumbent contender as they stand by guild and Emmy branch nominations:

1) The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (13) – Acting, casting, costumes, directing, editing, hairstyling, makeup, music, music supervision, production design, sound editing*, sound mixing, writing*
    2) Russian Doll (10) – Acting, casting, costumes, editing, makeup, music supervision, production design, sound editing, sound mixing, writing
    3) Ted Lasso (9) – Acting, casting, directing, editing, music, production design, sound editing*, sound mixing, writing
    4) Atlanta (8) – Acting, casting, directing, editing, music supervision, production design, sound editing, writing
    5) Hacks (6) – Acting, casting, costumes, directing, sound mixing, writing
    5) What We Do in the Shadows (6) – Casting, costumes*, editing, production design, sound editing, writing
    7) Curb Your Enthusiasm (4) – Casting, directing*, editing, writing*
    7) The Great (4) – Acting*, casting*, directing, writing
    7) Insecure (4) – Acting, casting, editing, music supervision
    10) Black-ish (3) – Acting, costumes, hairstyling

11) Cobra Kai (2) – Sound editing, sound mixing
    11) Emily in Paris (2) – Costumes*, production design
    11) Pen15 (2) – Casting, writing

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The way Russian Doll smashed at the Emmys and tanked at the guilds

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The way Russian Doll smashed at the Emmys and tanked at the guilds

I’m honestly more shocked at Insecure’a guild performance. It didn’t grow like What We Do in the Shadows and The Great did and its only acting nomination was at Critics Choice for Issa Rae.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I’m honestly more shocked at Insecure’a guild performance. It didn’t grow like What We Do in the Shadows and The Great did and its only acting nomination was at Critics Choice for Issa Rae.

Same. I was expecting Insecure to grow across the board at CC last year. Series + Rae the bare minimum with noms for all of Orji, Rothwell and Ellis.

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    Yves Wearn
    Topics:

It’s gonna be a very competitive year for comedy, but I want so badly for at least Gillian and Hannah to be recognized for Sex Ed. I just love that show so much

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

No-context spoilers but Waddingham’s only in one episode of S3 (the finale), confined to only two scenes with her character’s son in his bedroom. Given the history of Guest (even just this year *cough* Cheadle & Foy *cough*), it’s entire plausible that she gets a namecheck nom in Guest.

Oscars FYC:

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

But Hannah isn’t in the series winner (for Sex Ed) reprising her Emmy winning role or is a Emmy darling like Cheadle.

She’ll be nominated again for Ted Lasso but i don’t see her happening for Sex Ed, unless Netflix really campaigns for the show.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Which is partially why I think Waddingham could happen (at least right now). Outside of Cobra Kai (arguably bottom three this year) and Russian Doll, what other comedies do Netflix have right now that could campaign for (unless another surprise hit a la Dead to Me pops up).

It’s the perfect combination of critically and commercial (and apologises for the broken record-ness and using this analogy for the millionth time) but this is exactly like Black Panther at the Oscars.

– in a genre not made for awards, not unexpected to be an awards player.
    – becomes a huge critically and commercially hit.
    – voters need to be told it’s “okay” to vote for it and they do (see BP’s 3 Oscars, Wood’s Bafta).

And despite a crowded comedy field so far, it’s looking prospects are promising at the winter awards. It is the most acclaimed season so far so I’m expecting CC to pick it up and it’s s a Netflix show starring SAG fav Anderson, their basicness & Netflix bias should be able to pull through at SAG.

So if it’s just for Anderson to maximise on her Emmy win / her potential three noms next year (Sex Ed, The Great & First Lady), I can’t see any good reason why they get push this for something this cycle

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I honestly don’t see <i>Cobra Kai</i> making it back into series. Sadly the same with Pen15. They both feel like clear beneficiaries of the weak field with them getting in on what the other lacks. Cobra Kai seems to lack the passion (and arguably prestige) to get into series in a more competitive field and Pen15 lacks the visibility.

Unless one of them flop there seems to be a tight top 10 in series with (in no specific order) Atlanta, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Great, Hacks, Insecure, Maisel, Only Murders in the Building, Russian Doll, Ted Lasso and What We Do in the Shadows and this is just assuming nothing else pops up later (à la Schitt’s Creek in 2019) and BarryDead to Me and The Flight Attendant end up missing eligibility.

If BarryDead to Me and The Flight Attendant all somehow manage to end up making eligibility in the end the series race is gonna be like…

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Sex Education in my mind is a smart play – it’s far more ensemble-y than most of their comedies, has a competitive male lead in a see of female led comedies at Netflix, and (season not completely seen) has a few years left in it, plus it has the BAFTA seal of approval and clearly strong viewership numbers. And campaigning Anderson for a supporting role is something Netflix have done very successfully.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.