Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 506 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

If Olsen can do it, so can she

Profile picture
    Camryn
    Topics:

I think either all three main actors on Only Murders will go Lead or Hulu is going to fraud both Short and Gomez in Supporting for better odds, but the former is the more likely scenario.

Interestingly enough, so far reviews have been singling Short/Gomez out much more often than they’ve done Martin, at least from what I saw. I could easily see this become a “both in/both out” situation in case they all go Lead, where everyone who votes for Martin will also vote for Short, so either they will both make it or neither will.

I’d say it’s probably the series that needed the Globes the most: new and star-studded shows have a tendency to overperform there and Selena would’ve probably been embraced as well which she’ll have a harder time doing with other branches. I guess they could still happen without a proper ceremony and only PR statements for nominees and winners, but of course it’s not going to serve the same purpose as a vehicle.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m thinking Only Murders in the Building is a no. With so many returning shows, they’ll be swamped. And we saw this year how they just continue to watch their faves…

I think the actors branch will gravitate towards it but I think it will miss series unless it’s win competitive for an above the line category. Unless you’re on Netflix/HBO, the only first season shows that have made it into comedy series over the past six years have been shows that have won an award at the main ceremony (i.e. Transparent, Atlanta, Master of None).

The release date also isn’t helpful.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If Olsen can do it, so can she

Has anyone ever won both lead comedy and lead drama acting awards before? I wonder if she could do it.

FYC:
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Has anyone ever won both lead comedy and lead drama acting awards before?

Falco99
    Falco

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Falco99 Falco

Forgot about her lol.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’d say it’s probably the series that needed the Globes the most: new and star-studded shows have a tendency to overperform there and Selena would’ve probably been embraced as well which she’ll have a harder time doing with other branches. I guess they could still happen without a proper ceremony and only PR statements for nominees and winners, but of course it’s not going to serve the same purpose as a vehicle.

I never thought I’d say this, but I actually do feel like by removing the Globes from the equation you can see what you lose by taking them away. Say what you like about their decision making processes but they’re effective at doing a particular job ceremony wise.

To be honest, though, a significant amount of people will not even notice the Globes missing a ceremony mid pandemic (if they come back) or know the backstory so being able to say you’re Globe winning/nominated probably carries some weight still.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Has anyone ever won both lead comedy and lead drama acting awards before? I wonder if she could do it.

Janney could hypothetically do this also this year, she won twice for The West Wing.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Janney could hypothetically do this also this year, she won twice for The West Wing.

Yeah but she won’t.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I feel like Ted Lasso will suffer the early winter awards frontrunner curse that The Handmaid’s Tale and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel had. Unless a third season comes out during voting there’s no reason for voters to talk about the show in August other than it being the incumbent winner. Everyone is more or less watching this season as it airs and unlike this year it doesn’t have the advantage of being under-seen because it’s been caught up on by almost everyone it needed to be seen by.

I do think Waddingham and (if he wins this year) Goldstein can and probably will repeat though.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Yeah but she won’t.

I would fall on the floor.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The third season probably will be out around the same time next summer, though. They filmed from January to June this year and started airing less than two months after wrapping. According to this article, they’re planning on mirroring the same schedule. The Ted Lasso hype will continue to be real next summer.

Not to mention Lawrence has stated (initially, at least) that it’s a three year plan. I listened to Goldstein on the Indiewire podcast a few days back and he basically said people think we’ve changed the plan but we haven’t.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not to mention Lawrence has stated (initially, at least) that it’s a three year plan. I listened to Goldstein on the Indiewire podcast a few days back and he basically said people think we’ve changed the plan but we haven’t.

If it is the final season would Apple really want to air in the early Summer of next year? That wouldn’t be helpful for its chances in 2023.

FYC:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.