Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 506 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

early as hell predictions:

Series:

• Ted Lasso
    • What We Do in the Shadows
    • Insecure
    • Atlanta
    • Barry
    • The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    • Hacks
    • The Great

Actor:

• Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso
    • Donald Glover, Atlanta
    • Anthony Anderson, Black-ish
    • Don Cheadle, Black Monday
    • Bill Hader, Barry
    • Nicholas Hoult, The Great

Actress:

• Tracee Ellis Ross, Black-ish
    • Natasha Lyonne, Russian Doll
    • Issa Rae, Insecure
    • Elle Fanning, The Great
    • Jean Smart, Hacks
    • Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

S. Actor:

• Brett Goldstein, Ted Lasso
    • Brendan Hunt, Ted Lasso
    • Brian Tyree Henry, Atlanta
    • LaKeith Stanfield, Atlanta
    • Henry Winkler, Barry
    • Jay Ellis, Insecure
    • Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    • Kayvan Novak, What We Do in the Shadows

S. Actress:

• Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    • Yvonne Orji, Insecure
    • Zazie Beetz, Atlanta
    • Hannah Waddingham, Ted Lasso
    • Juno Temple, Ted Lasso
    • Hannah Einbinder, Hacks
    • Sarah Goldberg, Barry
    • Marin Hinkle, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Comedy Directing:

• Ted Lasso
    • Ted Lasso
    • Barry
    • Atlanta
    • Hacks

Comedy Writing:

• Ted Lasso
    • Barry
    • Atlanta
    • Hacks
    • Russian Doll

Letterboxd: Brayfers

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Netflix didn’t mention it at all in a recent article about their returning hits (even as they mentioned the likes of Russian Doll, Bridgerton and Stranger Things – the latter of which they said “might not” make Emmy eligibility) so I think it’s probably missing eligibility (which is honestly fine imo because whilst I want Applegate to win for this role, it’s better she takes all the time she needs after her diagnosis and returns when she feels comfortable).

At this stage – looking at what they’re promoting on the weekend and that article – I’d bank on some variation of Russian Doll, Never Have I Ever, Emily in Paris, Cobra Kai, and Sex Education being campaigned.

They know from last year that they can get in popular comedies. They also have the final season of Grace and Frankie,  Mike Myers’ Pentaverate (both limited comedies) and an A24 Dramedy with Steven Yeun and Ali Wong (I’m not sure how far along that is) as well as Kristen Bell’s Woman In The House (and Bell is beyond overdue). They don’t need Dead to Me this year, Netflix are probably stronger in comedy than most categories on paper and it would be to their benefit to concentrate there.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Emily in Paris

Everytime I read this name i start laughing, it’s so unreal that this is an Emmy nominee

Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

Don Cheadle has 9 nominations and hasn’t missed for any of his shows (Black Monday and House of Lies) since 2012 (one time for the first season of Black Monday, I think). He was nominated for his cameo in Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

Anthony Anderson has never missed for Black-ish and I doubt he will miss for the final season. He was able to get in even when the show got dropped from Series and Actress.

They are locked for nominations. Period.

Anyway, it was obviously just a joke (which doesn’t mean I don’t believe in what I just said), so you don’t have to take it too seriously.

Cheadle wasn’t nominated for the last season of House of Lies, not for the first.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I can get the hesitation for Selena Gomez (even though I think she is happening everywhere at winter awards) but I don’t for Martin Short and Steve Martin. Both are comedy legends in one of the most acclaimed comedies of the past few years (still at 100% on RT after 58 reviews) that’s also an audience hit (Hulu claims it was their biggest comedy launch ever, and according to multiple reports it has remained one of the most streamed shows since). Short also randomly happened in guest for The Morning Show 2 years ago. At least one of them, if not both, is happening imo.

Don Cheadle is the definition of a namecheck and those tend to miss when the categories get competitive. Janney has been missing for years and was only brought back when the category was weak. She would not have returned if Brosnahan etc. had been eligible.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I have seen two eps of Only Murders in the Building, and the show rules. More comedies like this please.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

IMO it’s either Martin and Short getting into lead actor together or neither. And considering how successful the show is commercially and how it’s performing ok critically (76 on Metacritic is higher than the incumbent Emmy winner’s score), I think both are looking quite good at the moment.

It sort of reminds me of an Arkin/Douglas or Levy/O’Hara type situation. One may have a personal favourite of the two but there’s no clear consensus and it’s hard to really check off one without the other. They’re both industry icons delivering performances that viewers of their shows seem to be enjoying (plus Steve Martin co-created the show and we know how that has favoured performances in the comedy actor category in the past).

Sure you have situations like Sandra Oh getting in without Jodie Comer or Christina Applegate getting in without Linda Cardellini but Applegate and Oh were quite a bit more famous than their co-stars, had strong history with the television academy, were the main critical and industry talking points of their shows as soon as they premiered and their shows were late-breakers. None of that is the case here.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Aniston did get in without Witherspoon for TMS but I tend to agree. I think they get in together or not at all.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Aniston did get in without Witherspoon for TMS but I tend to agree. I think they get in together or not at all.

Yeah but Aniston was the standout of The Morning Show whilst people thought Witherspoon was miscast on the show.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Most reviews indicate they think that Martin and Short are both great right? I haven’t seen much discourse that people have a  really clear preference.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The consensus seems to be that all three leads are great.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Well THAT promo for The Wonder Years gives me positive vibes after the ungodly amount I spent on fuel today…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

According to Lorne Michaels one of the hosts of SNL this season will be Jason Sudeikis so I guess we can pencil in a guest actor contender already.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Would they get Bob Odenkirk this year maybe or has he done it? There’s some history there about him feeling like he could have his time over?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Sex Lives of College Girls and Somebody Somewhere are getting panels at HBO’s TCA day today. Nothing else.

Oscars FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.