Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 506 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

As much as I love it, Maisel is never stomping again I fear.

Handmaid’s Tale rebounding hard made me think Maisel could do the same
    But then it flopped hard at wins so I’m just going to expect the less.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Is it just me or does Mae (the pub hostess) from Ted Lasso really look like Judi Dench?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

SNL is back next week and we still have no news on whether any of its cast members are leaving (most especially Strong). I wonder what’s taking NBC so long.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

Profile picture
    Camryn
    Topics:

I’ve now caught up with Only Murders in the Building and so far it strikes me as something the industry is going to embrace pretty hard and that could very well become the breakout hit of the year.

If I used to have some doubts about Hulu possibly frauding Short and Gomez in Supporting, now I’m confident they’re all going Lead, while I still maintain that Martin and Short are either going to both be nominated or snubbed – between their history as a seasoned comedic duo and the symbiotic dynamic of their characters in the show, I can hardly see anyone wanting to cast a vote for one of them but not the other.

If it came down to it, though, which I believe is more likely to happen elsewhere like at SAG, I’d bet on Short: he’s the scene stealer and has the best lines. He’d easily be win-competitive if he went Supporting against all odds – which, again, I doubt is going to happen.

Gomez is going to face a tougher category and I figure some pop star bias, but the show relies so heavily, down to its very premise, on the relationship between the central trio that once again I have a hard time believing anyone who enjoyed the show wouldn’t namecheck all three leads in their respective categories, so I’m predicting her, albeit with less confidence than with Martin and Short.

It’s a really competently done show on every aspect so at the moment I also see it getting nods in Writing and Directing (if they’re smart with submissions), Supporting/Guest (Lane, maybe Fey and Lynch as well), Casting and minor categories such as Costumes, Main Title Design, Production Design, Music Composition and Sound Mixing.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

At the moment I have Only Murders in the Building getting across the board above the line nominations:

Comedy Series
    Comedy Actress (Selena Gomez)
    Comedy Actor (Martin Short)
    Comedy Actor (Steve Martin)
    Comedy G. Actor (Nathan Lane)
    Comedy G. Actress (Tina Fey)
    Comedy G. Actress (Jane Lynch)
    Comedy Writing (“True Crime”)
    Comedy Directing (“True Crime”)

I think Hulu would be wise to do what HBO Max did with The Flight Attendant and just submit the pilot in both writing and directing. In fact I think they will in the case of writing as far as I’m aware it’s the only episode of the season that has been penned by Steve Martin. Jamie Babbitt is an Emmy nominated director and I think if anything overcomes Hacks at DGA it’s the pilot she’s helmed here.

Actors wise Selena Gomez feels the most vulnerable with Brosnahan, Fanning, Lyonne, Rae and Smart in potential (or in Brosnahan and Smart’s case, likely) series nominees all competing as well as Cuoco possibly making eligibility and Ross competing for her final season. I currently have her in 4th at the moment which is below Brosnahan and Smart (and will be below Cuoco if she makes eligibility), level with Fanning and ahead of Lyonne and Rae. SAG and how much momentum Only Murders in the Building has in June (although I’m optimistic at least on the latter front) will ultimately decide where she places. I think what perhaps hurts her is that whilst she is excellent on the show it’s more ensemble based and Martin and Short seem to be bigger talking points. And in a category like this with so many female centred series…

Short and Martin are safe IMO.

FYC:
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Bring on the future Short and Martin vote splitting

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Period

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Gomez is going to face a tougher category and I figure some pop star bias, but the show relies so heavily, down to its very premise, on the relationship between the central trio that once again I have a hard time believing anyone who enjoyed the show wouldn’t namecheck all three leads in their respective categories, so I’m predicting her, albeit with less confidence than with Martin and Short.

This is exactly my point. I know that the category shaping to be tough but I expect Only Murders to be a breakout hit, so Gomez missing would be a bit strange imo. Of course maybe it could happen, but I’m predicting her to get in for now.

Also some of y’all are about to be mad at me but it must be said, I think she can be a stronger bet for a nomination than contenders like Lyonne and especially Fanning down the road.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

…. for Bill Hader spill.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

…. for Bill Hader spill.

FYC:

Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

If they do love Only Murders in the Building, I won’t be surprised if they nominate Aaron Dominguez and Amy Ryan. Ryan is billed as a main cast and didn’t appear too much so far. However I’m predicting that she’ll have the tape if the show goes the way I’m thinking they’re going.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

…. for Bill Hader spill.

I’d be happy with either I need to rewatch Barry though it’s been forever 💀

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I think SAG will tell about the women, Elle Fanning kinda needs it because the only place she got for S1 apart from TCA was the Golden Globes, while Hoult got in there and everywhere else.

At the end it will end up if Hulu will prioritize The Great over the way bigger Only Murders In The Building, or if they’ll push both the same or Only Murders more, if both get into SAG I’ll predict both.

Issa Rae feel like something the Emmys would go to, even if she doesn’t have anything else, so I’m counting her in for now, Jean Smart will obviously repeat the nod and probably even the win, if Kaley Cuoco comes back in time i think she’ll repeat too, and also Rachel Brosnahan.

Idk about Natasha Lyonne, I’m skeptical as hell about this season of Russian Doll, i guess it’s a let’s see for me.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If they do love Only Murders in the Building, I won’t be surprised if they nominate Aaron Dominguez and Amy Ryan. Ryan is billed as a main cast and didn’t appear too much so far. However I’m predicting that she’ll have the tape if the show goes the way I’m thinking they’re going.

Amy Ryan is certainly possible. Although she feels a bit like she’s in the Gugu Mbatha-Raw situation where her nominations chances depend on how strong her show is in series because the field is so competitive.

FYC:

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

If Only Murders get any Guest players in, hoping it’s Jayne Houdyshell. Everything about Bunny at the wake and then the sing-song of “PAY ME, MY FUCKING MONEY” during the casting fantasy was hilarious.

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.