Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 2)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 502 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Luca
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I don’t see how any of these Star Wars series will be nominated
    I think they’ll stick with The Mandalorian and that’s it because all other shows look like same old same old.

That said, the industry for some bizarre reason love Star Wars, so maybe, who knows.

Marvel will need to get something very different, like Wandavision was (at least at first), maybe She Hulk since there’s rumours she’ll break the fourth wall and that’s already something.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Marvel will need to get something very different, like Wandavision was (at least at first), maybe She Hulk since there’s rumours she’ll break the fourth wall and that’s already something.

She-Hulk will benefit from almost certainly being able to run in comedy, which I suspect they might be a bit more open to. I can’t speak for others, but the thing that annoyed me about Disney’s campaigning is it is too self serious. For 99% of people watching Marvel it’s light entertainment.

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Kathryn Hahn will play Joan Rivers in “The Comeback Girl,” a limited series in development at Showtime.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Kathryn Hahn will play Joan Rivers in “The Comeback Girl,” a limited series in development at Showtime.

This deserves all caps and several exclamation points

Profile picture
    samy.chrr
    Topics:

I hope she gets her due this year with The Shrink Next Door

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The queen is coming.
    Urgh it’s showtime, my faves don’t do well there

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The Hot Zone: Anthrax trailer

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

I think why they love Star Wars and what makes it prestigious and high brow in their eyes is that it has a legacy, compared to something like Marvel.

The original Star Wars was nominated for TEN Oscars, including Picture, Director, Screenplay, and Supporting Actor, and won SIX. It was also close to winning Picture and Director. It’s now regarded as one of the greatest movies of all time.

Empire Strikes Back wasn’t similarly regarded by the Oscars, though it still received a few tech noms, but it is now.

Every subsequent Star Wars movie has also been nominated for at least one Oscar. And The Force Awakens even got a Film Editing nom and had Best Picture hype.

It just has this undeniable track record, and when something is good, itll get traction. That’s why im expecting every subsequent Disney+ Star Wars series to be a contender if it’s well received. It’s more than just a mainstream franchise, it has history, prestige, acclaim, and artistry behind it.

I think its comparable to Ryan Murphy. All of his stuff is very similar stylistically. Sometimes it’s good (Pose), sometimes it’s bad (Ratched), and depending on how its recieved, it gets awards attention. Similarly with Star Wars, sometimes it’s good (The Mandalorian), sometimes it’s bad (The Rise of Skywalker), and it gets attention accordingly.

Compare that to Marvel which had a fantastic debut with Iron Man that was overshadowed by a better superhero movie that year, The Dark Knight. It never really achieved the same level of critical success until Black Panther. It came kinda close a few times with The Avengers, The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Doctor Strange, but they werent anywhere near as strong. It doesnt have that built-in pedigree, which is why unless the new series do something new like WandaVision, they wont make an impact.

Oscars FYC:

Dune in Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Score, Sound, Production Design, Cinematography, Makeup and Hairstyling, Costume Design, Film Editing, and Visual Effects

Free Guy in Visual Effects

Profile picture
    Dominique Deveraux
    Topics:

As long as Jessica Chastain gets nominated, I’m good.

FYC | 94th Academy Awards

Actor
    - Joaquin Phoenix, C'mon C'mon

Best Supporting Actress
    - Nina Arianda, Being the Ricardos
    - Ruth Negga, Passing
    - Martha Plimpton, Mass

Who am I? You'll find out soon enough. Ciao...for now.

Profile picture
    Juanald02
    Topics:

Does anyone have an idea of what TV movies will be coming out to be eligible or will it be another weak year for that category?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Does anyone have an idea of what TV movies will be coming out to be eligible or will it be another weak year for that category?

My Son (Peacock) should already be eligible as it has had no theatrical release and Amazon already have three films they’ve released directly onto the service that should also be eligible (although only one of those had an “ok” reception and that film is French). The Ray Donovan movie will be eligible if it airs on Showtime. As will the Zoey Extraordinary Playlist finale special on Roku.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

Profile picture
    Juanald02
    Topics:

Despite the fact that they haven’t received nominations in the last few years maybe Ray Donovan can break out in the acting field given Liev Schreiber & Jon Voight’s involvement.

Profile picture
    a spoonful of sugar
    Topics:

I think we’re kind of underestimating the output from Marvel and Star Wars that’s going to be coming up this year. Granted we don’t know exact dates, but with how well Disney+ did in nominations this time around, I think that’s only going to go up from here on out as long as the quality justifies it. And yet I’ve not seen anyone here predict any of the confirmed shows, like Book of Boba Fett, even get nominated (though granted, even I am pretty confident they won’t win anything above-the-line).

Do we know when Moon Knight is slated for release? I think that’s the one to keep an eye out given the cast (Oscar Isaac, Ethan Hawke).

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think why they love Star Wars and what makes it prestigious and high brow in their eyes is that it has a legacy, compared to something like Marvel

Yep, I agree with you. Marvel does not have the legacy that Star Wars does. The only Marvel property considered to have quite high prestige is Black Panther, a movie I find quite tonally different from the rest of the MCU,  which I would not under-rate if it became a TV series. Wandavision got through because it was a tonal shift that most of the other series do not have.

The Emmys have a long history of nominating Star Wars in animation and Children’s Program (before it was retired) and the more recent incarnations of Star Wars movies have had a really strong crossover with TV actors, possibly because of Nina Gold doing the casting. I don’t think the MCU have an antagonistic relationship with TV, but Star Wars has a pretty good one, and an awful lot of people grew up watching Star Wars films on TV, so it probably feels like a better fit.

(They’re also a quintessentially US thing that have also tended to hire a lot of Brits in recent years – something the Emmys like.)

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Do we know when Moon Knight is slated for release? I think that’s the one to keep an eye out given the cast (Oscar Isaac, Ethan Hawke).

I’m not sure, but it has wrapped. If it’s a mini-series and they’re submitting it, I’d be inclined to think they hold it over for 2023 because Oscar already has Scenes From A Marriage in this cycle and it is exceedingly rare to bother attempt competing limited awards plays in one year.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Movie/Limited Categories (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.