Home Forums Television Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Movie/Limited Categories

Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Movie/Limited Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 500 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

When The First Lady crashes the race. With the pedigree, I just don’t see Showtime failing this one. They almost never do spring releases for limited series, so that alone is just telling. Also, the script has to be somewhat amazing if half of Hollywood decided to sign on to a project by a new-ish writer (though Bier might have been the bigger draw). I am most worried about Bier and how she handles the weight of the story tbh. I hope she doesn’t go experimental like on The Undoing.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The White Lotus and even Scenes from a Marriage might not survive that long with buzz, so i wouldn’t keep hopes high.

Right now i have

1. Impeachment: ACS
    2. Landscapers
    3. Anatomy of a Scandal
    4. The Dropout
    5. Pistol

Waiting in the wings: Scenes from a Marriage, The First Lady, The White Lotus, Inventing Anna, Dopesick, Colin in Black and White, Pam and Tommy, A Very British Scandal, etc etc with all the miniseries with pedigree this season

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Waiting in the wings: Scenes from a Marriage, The First Lady, The White Lotus, Inventing Anna, Dopesick, Colin in Black and White, Pam and Tommy, A Very British Scandal, etc etc with all the miniseries with pedigree this season

This is going to be an incredibly strong season for Limited.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

OK, I have an incredibly specific question here (bought up by my friend who was talking about both Garner and Chlumsky in  Inventing Anna)

Has ANYONE ever been nominated for an Emmy with Netflix after being nominated with HBO (not the reverse ie Uzo Aduba), and has anyone ever been nominated for more than one show with Netflix during the new rules (the only one that teeters over to the old rules I could think of was Jason Bateman)?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Dropout isn’t making eligibility is it? It only just started filming and Hulu already have DopesickNine Perfect Strangers and Pam and Tommy and probably Conversations with Friends as well.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The Dropout isn’t making eligibility is it? It only just started filming and Hulu already have Dopesick, Nine Perfect Strangers and Pam and Tommy and probably Conversations with Friends as well.

Hulu’s turnaround on post appears similar to Netflix – the wrapped to released dates for Nine Perfect Strangers and Dopesick are eight and six months respectively. So probably not, if we assume a couple of month shoot.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

The White Lotus and even Scenes from a Marriage might not survive that long with buzz, so i wouldn’t keep hopes high.

Right now i have

1. Impeachment: ACS
    2. Landscapers
    3. Anatomy of a Scandal
    4. The Dropout
    5. Pistol

I’m baffled by the confidence in Anatomy of a Scandal here. After The Undoing and Nine Perfect Strangers I wouldn’t bet on another David E. Kelley show that soon.

And it’s also about a clueless wife whose husband gets accused by murder/abuse. I think I’ve seen that before.

Landscapers has Olivia Colman, but we have no evidence to be so confident, since it will be written by Colman’s first time writer husband.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Assuming The Dropout, The StaircaseThe White House Plumbers and Pistol go to the 2023 Emmys.

Clive Owen is credited along with Paulson and Feldstein in the latest teaser for Impeachment so I assume he’ll also go lead.

I assume The White House Plumbers, Pistol and The Dropout will skip eligibility.

Limited Series

1. Impeachment : American Crime Story (FX)
    2. Landscapers (HBO)
    3. Anatomy of a Scandal (Netflix)
    4. Scenes From a Marriage (HBO)
    5. The First Lady (Showtime)

6. Pam and Tommy (Hulu)
    7. Inventing Anna (Netflix)
    8. The Shrink Next Door (AppleTV+)
    9. The White Lotus (HBO)
    10. Dopesick (Hulu)

Limited/Movie Actress

1. Sarah Paulson, Impeachment : American Crime Story
    2. Beanie Feldstein, Impeachment : American Crime Story
    3. Olivia Colman, Landscapers
    4. Viola Davis, The First Lady
    5. Gillian Anderson, The First Lady

6. Sienna Miller, Anatomy of a Scandal
    7. Jessica Chastain, Scenes From a Marriage
    8. Lily James, Pam and Tommy
    9. Julia Garner, Inventing Anna
    10. Claire Foy, A Very British Scandal

Limited/Movie Actor

1. Clive Owen, Impeachment : American Crime Story
    2. David Thewliss, Landscapers
    3. Oscar Isaac, Scenes From a Marriage
    4. Sebastian Stan, Pam and Tommy
    5. Paul Rudd, The Shrink Next Door

6. Will Ferrell, The Shrink Next Door
    7. Michael Keaton, Dopesick
    8. Paul Bettany, A Very British Scandal
    9. Jaden Michael, Colin in Black and White
    10. Jamie Dornan, The Tourist

Limited/Movie S. Actress

1. Michelle Dockery, Anatomy of a Scandal
    2. Annaleigh Ashford, Impeachment : American Crime Story
    3. Edie Falco, Impeachment : American Crime Story
    4. Anna Chlumsky, Inventing Anna
    5. Naomi Scott, Anatomy of a Scandal
    6. Kathryn Hahn, The Shrink Next Door

7. Jennifer Coolidge, The White Lotus
    8. Dakota Fanning, The First Lady
    9. Connie Britton, The White Lotus
    10. Ellen Burstyn, The First Lady

Limited/Movie S. Actor

1. Rupert Friend, Anatomy of a Scandal
    2. O-T Fagbenle, The First Lady
    3. Murray Bartlett, The White Lotus
    4. Seth Rogen, Pam and Tommy
    5. Kiefer Sutherland, The First Lady
    6. Daniel Rigby, Landscapers

7. Aaron Eckhardt, The First Lady
    8. Nick Offerman, Pam and Tommy
    9. Michael Stuhlbarg, Dopesick
    10. Will Poulter, Dopesick

Limited/Movie Writing

1. Ed Sinclair, Landscapers
    2. Sarah Burgess, Impeachment
    3. David E. Kelley and Melissa James Gibson, Anatomy of a Scandal
    4. Hagai Levi, Scenes From a Marriage
    5. Georgia Pritchett, The Shrink Next Door
    6. Mike White, The White Lotus

7. Robert Siegel and D.V. DeVincentis, Pam and Tommy
    8. Danny Strong, Dopesick
    9. Aaron Cooley, The First Lady
    10. Sarah Phelps, A Very British Scandal

Limited/Movie Directing

1. Ryan Murphy, Impeachment : American Crime Story
    2. Will Sharpe, Landscapers
    3. Susanne Bier, The First Lady
    4. S.J. Clarkson, Anatomy of a Scandal
    5. Michael Uppendahl, Impeachment : American Crime Story
    6. Craig Gillespie, Pam and Tommy

7. Hagai Levi, Scenes From a Marriage
    8. David Frankel, Inventing Anna
    9. Michael Showalter, The Shrink Next Door
    10. Barry Levinson, Dopesick

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

After The Undoing and Nine Perfect Strangers I wouldn’t bet on another David E. Kelley show that soon.

For real tho, he’s becoming the next Ryan Murphy

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Landscapers has Olivia Colman, but we have no evidence to be so confident, since it will be written by Colman’s first time writer husband.

Thewlis has been quite positive about Landscapers in interviews, but I agree that people might pay to adjust their expectations a little more, especially given this is very likely to be quite slight in a fairly bombastic, crowded season.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I won’t be surprised if Showtime decides to submit everyone supporting from The First Lady, and only campaigns its most important actors, like Amazon did for Small Axe. Apparently, all three are going to have the exact same screentime (3 episodes each, all three together in the finale), so I don’t see them submitting all three lead. Maybe they’ll submit both Viola and Gillian lead, since they have the most well known first ladies, but apparently, Michelle actually has the baitiest character.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

We have to remember that The First Lady is being produced by Viola, among others, so regardless of bait, I think she’ll be the biggest push. She’s also playing the most popular and well-liked First Lady, obviously.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

We have to remember that The First Lady is being produced by Viola, among others, so regardless of bait, I think she’ll be the biggest push. She’s also playing the most popular and well-liked First Lady, obviously.

I did not know that. Yeah, girl is gonna get pushed hard.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I did not know that. Yeah, girl is gonna get pushed hard.

Yeah, in fact, it’s her and her husband’s production company that is co-producing it!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m baffled by the confidence in Anatomy of a Scandal here. After The Undoing and Nine Perfect Strangers I wouldn’t bet on another David E. Kelley show that soon. And it’s also about a clueless wife whose husband gets accused by murder/abuse. I think I’ve seen that before. Landscapers has Olivia Colman, but we have no evidence to be so confident, since it will be written by Colman’s first time writer husband.

Both of these shows are likely to air this winter/spring and as we’ve seen this year, that can (most of the time) make or break a show’s chances of getting nominated. Had The <i>Undoing </i>aired in the Spring of 2020 as it was originally scheduled to, it probably would have replaced Little Fires Everywhere or Unbelievable in series, Grant might have won and both Kidman and Sutherland would have been nominated. Likewise both also have baity premises (Landscapers is a true crime story, Anatomy of a Scandal is a political thriller) for an academy that (whilst they have at the same time gravitated to shows with more original premises recently) nominated Little Fires Everywhere over Normal People and openly embraced Mare of Easttown and Ozark.

Anatomy of a Scandal may be produced by David E. Kelley but it’s not a David E. Kelley show like The Undoing and Nine Perfect Strangers are. According to IMDB he’s only written on one episode (although that of course could be inaccurate) whilst Melissa James Gibson (House of CardsThe Americans) has written on the rest. Its source material may share similar aspects to Kelley’s other shows but to characterise it solely as being “about a clueless wife whose husband gets accused by murder/abuse” is a mischaracterisation. It’s a political thriller that explores elitism and consent. Sienna Miller’s character may be the principal lead but Michelle Dockery and Rupert Friend also have large baity roles (I assume both will be ran in supporting) as does Naomi Scott. Dockery is arguably overdue a win at this point after four Emmy nominations and I can see Sienna Miller be the Elizabeth Olsen of this year (performer who has delivered an array of consistently strong performances in independent projects over the years who now has an opportunity to display their talents in front of the mainstream). Perhaps my only fear here about the show’s quality is that Kelley’s shows as of late have been rabid when it has come to courtroom scenes and that will likely be more of a detriment here with the show’s British setting although I hold hope this issue will be prevented before it has begun due to the show having a director who has years of experience in both British and American television. Unless the adaptation ends up being a divisive flop or it doesn’t have a strong performance with audiences I think it’s very much a contender. I don’t expect Netflix to be so easily shut out next year so I think either this or Inventing Anna are getting in (I do expect Colin in Black and White to do well at the winter awards but unless it ends up being a Queen’s Gambit type hit, I don’t expect it to make it into series with all the competition).

Every year there is at least one buzzy British show that makes it in (or just about misses out like A Very English Scandal and Normal People) so I think at least one of  Landscapers and A Very British Scandal will make it into the top 6. Whilst I think the latter can happen in a few categories I am currently feeling more confident in the former. Not only because of Colman (who may have a bit of Oscar buzz for The Lost Daughter) and Thewliss but because whilst Colman’s husband is a first time writer, Landscapers was previously set to be directed by Alexander Payne (The Descendants, Election, Nebraska, Sideways) and is now being directed by Will Sharpe who created Flowers (which also happened to star Colman) which was quite well received and is directing The Electrical Life of Louis Wain with Claire Foy and Benedict Cumberbatch (which of course may or may not be good). Considering the pedigree I will be surprised if the script is necessarily bad but I also think considering who was attached and who is attached to direct it that the show will have a dark comedic edge to it which could help it standout. There is also of course the HBO of it all.

Oscars FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Movie/Limited Categories’ is closed to new replies.