Home Forums Television Super Early 2023 Emmy Predictions (Part 1)

Super Early 2023 Emmy Predictions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 522 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Honestly, I hope the Emmys give Stranger Things an exception next year to allow it to compete in Series and acting categories. It will probably end up being more worthy than half of next year’s submissions.

Edit: Or at least allow them to be submitted as TV Movies in the Limited field.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC:
    The Great
    Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Severance
    The Batman

Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

Honestly, I hope the Emmys give Stranger Things an exception next year to allow it to compete in Series and acting categories. It will probably end up being more worthy than half of next year’s submissions.

Are orphan episodes still allowed? If not, are they going to submit it in Limited Series/TV Movie like Euphoria specials (which IMO it makes a lot of sense)?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Are orphan episodes still allowed?

Yes

If a series qualifies in the current eligibility year, but has additional episodes from its current season premiering after May 31, those episodes will gain Emmy eligibility with the series’ subsequent season.

If the series doesn’t return in the subsequent Emmy competition, those episodes would be eligible as single “orphaned” episodes in certain individual achievement categories. Submission for a body of work (including series and acting categories) would not be eligible under the “orphaned” episodes rule.

Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

Orphan episodes are still allowed, but could they change category placements and submit Stranger Things as (two) television movies, like Euphoria did?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Orphan episodes are still allowed, but could they change category placements and submit Stranger Things as (two) television movies, like Euphoria did?

The Euphoria specials were classified as orphaned episodes actually. Netflix could submit these two episodes as two separate TV movies (or try to argue that they are both really one standalone piece as FX have been doing with the 3 episode limited series they dump every year and submit in TV movie) as the run time for these episodes exceeds the minimum that is required in that category (which if I’m not mistaken is an hour an a half).

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The whole thing is really atypical but I don’t think under any circumstance they are going to be allowed to run in drama – I am looking at the rules I suppose it is possible they can run ATL in limited.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Black Bird debuts with a 84 MC Score

FYC:

All things Succession, Severance, Ted Lasso, The Great and The White Lotus! Also, Colin Firth and Janelle James while you're at it.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

as the run time for these episodes exceeds the minimum that is required in that category (which if I’m not mistaken is an hour an a half).

85 and 150. Looking at the rules, though, I think it will probably be considered either nothing (just BTLs) – ep 8 almost certainly will just be BTLs nine might be able to qualify for TV Movie

It’s an interesting choice (I’d question why they maybe didn’t cut at the end of Dear Billy or something), because one more episode in this cycle would have made them eligible (or even just finding a cut point in Chapter Nine, although I have to guess that’s a contract related issue)

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I don’t see how ST episodes 8 and 9 can be treated like the Euphoria bridge episodes, which were wholly self-contained stories. Are we seriously suggesting these hanging episodes of ST could be submitted as TV movies? Seems pretty disingenuous.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I don’t see how ST episodes 8 and 9 can be treated like the Euphoria bridge episodes, which were wholly self-contained stories. Are we seriously suggesting these hanging episodes of ST could be submitted as TV movies? Seems pretty disingenuous.

I don’t really think they’ll be able to, but weirder things have happened. I don’t see how in any universe episode 8 does. I suppose you could make an argument for episode 9 because it’s a season finale, but it’s really pushing the definition of standalone. I think in the end they’ll just be considered for categories outside of acting and program. It was Netflix’s decision to do a 7-2 split and not 5-4 or 6-3 so I’m not sure the TV Academy are likely to be too sympathetic.

It doesn’t really help their cause to continue to lean on it. They need to find new successors to Ozark (which they also could have split) and Stranger Things at this stage.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

The whole thing is really atypical but I don’t think under any circumstance they are going to be allowed to run in drama – I am looking at the rules I suppose it is possible they can run ATL in limited.

that’s what i thought they were going for since announcement. this year’s minis are kinda bleak. and in drama wins they topped out at sound editing for s2 and s3.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

that’s what i thought they were going for since announcement. this year’s minis are kinda bleak. and in drama wins they topped out at sound editing for s2 and s3.

I don’t know what they are going for but I think their initial “coming Summer” promo suggests they were probably going to get that week-after-Comic-Con spot that The Sandman (which had tie-in stuff out in May) got, but for whatever reason, they’ve reversed them

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Would just like to say that The Old Man is starting to really round into form for me and I could see the show doing extremely well if voters discover it between now and this time next year.

It’s this really cool mix of like Rubicon meets Taken meets something else I can’t put my finger on. It doesn’t have the style of The Americans but it has the cold war vibe down.

But Brenneman and Shawkat’s characters are really rounding into form and Bridges and Lithgow are their usual amazing selves. Gbenga Akinnagbe and EJ Bonilla have given some solid performances as well. And Bill Heck might get a nomination if Bridges does because the two are one in the same basically.

Really enjoying the series so far.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But Brenneman and Shawkat’s characters are really rounding into form

Delightful to hear.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Would just like to say that The Old Man is starting to really round into form for me and I could see the show doing extremely well if voters discover it between now and this time next year.

Its already been renewed, too, which helps people get invested.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 522 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2023 Emmy Predictions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.