Home Forums Television Super Early 2023 Emmy Predictions (Part 1)

Super Early 2023 Emmy Predictions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 522 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

this is goldderby in a thread about 2023 emmys…not, um, “themes and ways of telling a story” or whatever.

so walking dead meets leftovers.

Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

so walking dead meets leftovers.

sounds perfect, right? I know you wold agree

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

If The Last of Us does somehow end up making it, I do think it could be a serious contender.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

DRAMA
    CONFIRMED (PREMIERE SET):
    Better Call Saul (AMC)
    The Boys (Amazon)
    The Crown (Netflix)
    For All Mankind (Apple)
    The Good Fight (Paramount)
    The Mandalorian (Disney)
    Westworld (HBO)
    Yellowstone (Paramount)

ELIGIBLE BELOW THE LINE:
    Stranger Things (Netflix)

PROBABLY RETURNING:
    Bridgerton (Netflix)
    The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)
    Perry Mason (HBO)
    Yellowjackets (Showtime)

PROBABLY NOT MAKING IT:
    Bodyguard (Netflix)
    Euphoria (HBO)
    The Gilded Age (HBO)
    The Morning Show (Apple)
    Severance (Apple)
    Squid Game (Netflix)
    Succession (HBO)
    Winning Time (HBO)

NEW CONTENDERS:
    Black Cake (Hulu)
    Breathe (Netflix)
    Florida Man (Netflix)
    House of the Dragon (HBO)
    The Last of Us (HBO)
    The Lord of the Rings (Amazon)
    The Old Man (FX)

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

The White Lotus also seems to be aiming for a premiere date by the end of this year. Due to the fact that season 1 only had a nine-month turnaround (October 2020 to July 2021), and production was confirmed to have begun in February of this year, I think it’s reasonable to say that we could get it by November. Unsure whether it’ll be competing in limited as an anthology or in comedy, based on the return of Jennifer Coolidge. Most sources seem to think she’ll be returning as Tanya, so it seems a move to comedy would be more likely. However, Wikipedia says she’ll be a guest star (which would still allow it to compete in limited), but that doesn’t seem to be corroborated anywhere else. Bottom line: who the hell knows, but The White Lotus will be back.

(There is the small possibility it is submitted as a drama, but I find that pretty unlikely given HBO’s packed drama slate and the tone of the first season.)

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

Profile picture
    a spoonful of sugar
    Topics:

This guy is a creep but a reliable Star Wars source, so Kenobi is probably being run in Drama next cycle.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Wonder if it being in Drama affects Mandalorian at all. Disney have particular about not having MCU shows compete against each at the Emmys, thought they would’ve done the same for SW.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

The Jeevan/Kirsten interactions in Station Eleven are very similar to the core of The Last of Us, especially the Dr Chaudhary episode.
    It’s a very straightforward “road movie” story about a guy trespassing the country with a kid, who happens to be the cure for humanity, but Mazin will probably add some flashbacks and some backstory (for example, Murray Bartlett’s character doesn’t show up in the game in person but he will probably get more screentime and character development since he plays Nick Offerman’s character lover)

If it was any other studio I wouldn’t really take it seriously, but it’s HBO hiring all those A list directors (Holy Spider’s director Ali Abbasi, Quo Vadis Aida’s Jasmila Zbanic, Downton Abbey’s Jeremy Webb and Beanpole’s Kantemir Balagov) and taking all the time in the world to develop the show, pandemic or not.

The Witcher’s source material also had a wonderful story (the game and the novels) and one I thought it had potential to fill Game of Thrones’s void in terms of medieval fantasy drama, but Netflix delivered that awful piece of television. Same for Cowboy Bebop, and the
    very same reason I’m not really hyped for The Sandman (I also think Gaiman is making a big mistake alienating the fans of his own graphic novel and trying to appeal to the 18 year old Netflix subscriber, who I guess won’t be really interested in this story because Netflix will try to sell it as another Stranger Things but it’s no Stranger Things). I’m also skeptical of The Lord of the Rings as Amazon’s original shows aren’t really that good outside of The Boys, Maisel and Undone.

But it’s HBO now. The Last of Us having the HBO label is a gamechanger. It’s more a about the label than the story. I’d say it’s Watchmen all over again.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

HBO does not automatically make things good.

See:

Time Traveler’s Wife

Here and Now

Fahrenheit 451

Camping

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

This guy is a creep but a reliable Star Wars source, so Kenobi is probably being run in Drama next cycle.

They already have Andor and The Mandalorian running though.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

If I add the qualifier “is there a single person in this who has ever been nominated at a US summer/winter award”  this is what I came up with for new that’s 100% officially confirmed (without judgement calls on any of them)

Comedies:

A League of Their Own (Summer)

God’s Favourite Idiot (June)

The Lake (June)

Loot (July)

Uncoupled (July)

She Hulk (August)

Wednesday (Fall)

Drama

Andor (August)

Dark Winds (June)

House of The Dragon (August)

The Old Man (June)

The Lord of The Rings (Sept)

Queer as Folk (June)

The Sandman (Summer)

Limited

Love and Death (Fall)

The Patient (August)

The Terminal List (July)

Tulsa King (Nov)

The White House Plumbers (undated 2022)

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

HBO does not automatically make things good.

See:

Time Traveler’s Wife

Here and Now

Fahrenheit 451

Camping

3 bad shows (3 COMPLETELY different bad shows) and nothing about the other 5657 amazing shows

Time Traveler’s Wife was always going to be a trainwreck because the story sucks even in the book, although the show has been getting decent audience reviews.

I got confused by merely reading the premise for Here and Now.

Camping. Lena Dunhan hasn’t done anything even remotely good outside of Girls and this one was a remake of a british show.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

Wow, HBO’s had 5,657 shows? Did not know that. Thanks for the knowledge.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

If The Last of Us does somehow end up making it, I do think it could be a serious contender.

I feel like they will hold it to 2024 round  because a) it might split priorities with House of The Dragon and b) Pascal will be competing against himself for The Mandalorian and c) there’s enough non HBO big BTL contenders already and most of them will need to take 2024 off. I can’t see House of The Dragon being a contender for 2024, and I think in terms of BTL heavy shows I would not be shocked if Westworld ended this season.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 522 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2023 Emmy Predictions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.