Home Forums Television Super Early 2023 Emmy Predictions (Part 1)

Super Early 2023 Emmy Predictions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 522 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Stranger Things officially bypassing a 2023 release.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Stranger Things officially bypassing a 2023 release.

In reality, that probably means 2025 cycle, given their their turnaround for filming to that first batch of episodes was 20 months.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

In reality, that probably means 2025 cycle, given their their turnaround for filming to that first batch of episodes was 20 months.

Hmm I don’t think it’s implausible for them to get it out in the spring of 2024. They had multiple production shutdowns (and a lockdown) to deal with during season 4 which one can only hope wouldn’t be the case with them filming in 2023.

That being said I do wonder if Netflix will really want to have the final seasons of The Crown and Stranger Things competing in the same awards cycle.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Hmm I don’t think it’s implausible for them to get it out in the spring of 2024. They had multiple production shutdowns (and a lockdown) to deal with during season 4 which one can only hope wouldn’t be the case with them filming in 2023.

I suppose it depends on how long the writing process takes.

Netflix and their future drama contenders are hard to pick at this point.

Profile picture
    boolbameroon
    Topics:
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

im predicting a late 2024 release to avoid internal competition from The Crown, but I don’t know if Netflix would actually care.

I don’t either, I was thinking late 2024 calendar year, not cycle?

It’s unfair to say Netflix don’t know what they’re doing when they could have up to four drama contenders for 2022, but they really need to ensure they have some new contenders in drama and more crucially comedy this cycle.

That they only have the final season Dead to Me girls as returning contenders across the board is a precarious place to be from an awards perspective. Ideally those SAG spots actually aren’t just filled with Netflix contenders that won’t be back for the next cycle, they get something through by the end of the year. The Crown franchise is strong, but viewers may still need a season to adjust.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

im predicting a late 2024 release to avoid internal competition from The Crown, but I don’t know if Netflix would actually care.

It’s an interesting one because I think they’re more concerned at the minute with releasing as many of their big hitters as soon as they can to stop their subscriber base from dwindling so I can see them wanting to get Stranger Things as soon as its ready for that reason alone considering its their biggest show. But at the same time with the final season of a previous drama winning series (The Crown) and the follow up season to a pop cultural phenomenon (Squid Game) both being on their 2024 awards slate, are they really going to want to cannibalise themselves?

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

But at the same time with the final season of a previous drama winning series (The Crown) and the follow up season to a pop cultural phenomenon (Squid Game) both being on their 2024 awards slate, are they really going to want to cannibalise themselves?

Hmm. That presumes a significant number of acting nominations for Squid Game and in reality given few returning might just mean Lee Jung Jae. Plus whether Squid Game can be replicated is hard to say. I’d guess through non-fan/stan eyes four or five each year for The Crown is reasonable. I can see Pryce, West, Debicki, Manville, Staunton, but I’m not sure they’re necessarily going to push to say Miller or Williams.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Hmm. That presumes a significant number of acting nominations for Squid Game and in reality given few returning might just mean Lee Jung Jae. Plus whether Squid Game can be replicated is hard to say. I’d guess through non-fan/stan eyes four or five each year for The Crown is reasonable. I can see Pryce, West, Debicki, Manville, Staunton, but I’m not sure they’re necessarily going to push to say Miller or Williams.

Williams is playing a role that has already been Emmy nominated though (for reasons that weren’t exactly to do with the role itself but I think still places it as on the industry’s radar) and is more established on both sides of the Atlantic than even some of the nominated season 4 cast were.

I agree about Miller though. He’ll almost certainly be submitted on the basis of who he is (it could be inaccurate because it’s wikipedia but he also seems to be 4th billed as well after Staunton, Pryce and Manville) but he feels a lot more like another Jason Watkins than another Gillian Anderson/John Lithgow. I question how strong the appeal behind his performance will actually be when John Major wasn’t exactly the most high profile Prime Minister of the 20th century internationally. I even question if they’ll nominate Carvel (even though Tony Blair is obviously a much more plum role) considering he isn’t exactly as revered as either Gillian Anderson or John Lithgow so the bar for him will be significantly higher.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Every episode of Physical continues to be just FANTASTIC. Crazy that it was one of my least favorite shows I watched last season and now I have a feeling I might be considering it for a Series nomination in my 2022-2023 personal awards.

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Five weeks into the cycle and The Bear delivers the episode of the year with “Review”.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Five weeks into the cycle and The Bear delivers the episode of the year with “Review”.

”Review” is probably the best directed episode I’ve seen in quite a while from any program. Just brilliant.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Williams is playing a role that has already been Emmy nominated though (for reasons that weren’t exactly to do with the role itself but I think still places it as on the industry’s radar) and is more established on both sides of the Atlantic than even some of the nominated season 4 cast were. I agree about Miller though. He’ll almost certainly be submitted on the basis of who he is (it could be inaccurate because it’s wikipedia but he also seems to be 4th billed as well after Staunton, Pryce and Manville) but he feels a lot more like another Jason Watkins than another Gillian Anderson/John Lithgow.

Yeah. I think that’s a fair assessment. I feel the same with Miller. I’m generally a bit more subdued because it’s a new cast in general (I am also a little inclined to think West playing a visibly older Charles will not be as sympathetic, but that might just translate to a nomination rather than a win.

Profile picture
    Benjamonster86
    Topics:

I’m loving The Bear too. I love shows that feel like we’re dropped down into the world and The Bear does that exceptionally well. I question if it will be remembered or not a year from now, but boy is it strong.

Will it be drama or comedy? They are short episodes but it feels much more like a drama than a comedy.

My blog: http://benjamonsterstv.blogspot.com/

My site: https://peaktvdatabase.weebly.com/

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Will it be drama or comedy? They are short episodes but it feels much more like a drama than a comedy.

I don’t have access to it yet, but is it close ended? Could it go limited.

If not, strategically, it might be better for FX/Hulu to run it in drama – they’re pretty strong in comedy already, whereas they really only have The Handmaid’s Tale in the latter (which at this point they need to pull back the reliance on). They’ve removed the run time length (I think it just has to be over 20 something) this year.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 522 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2023 Emmy Predictions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.