Home Forums Television THE HANDMAID’S TALE SEASON 4 (Premieres 2021)

THE HANDMAID’S TALE SEASON 4 (Premieres 2021)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 402 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
methaddiction
  • Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Spoilers 

Imo there is almost a detachment of June and the audience happening. Like there were a lot of moments shown where June was trying to lead a normal life again but she keeps being thrown back into this mental headspace of being in Gilead and wanting revenge.

And of course the finale is when this the most on display. It goes back into this POV of JUNE IS A HERO SHE IS DEFEATING THE EVIL that was very present in the first few episodes where June is shown as wanting to be this leader of a revolution with an incredible amount of self-importance. And imo this view completely crashes down with the last scene of the finale. It’s like the moment when you see this relationship is never going to work again and Luke is absolutely devastated. I mean he was even willing to not mention the rape again (as discussed previously) and pretend like it didn’t happen I guess but that finale showed him: We’ll never be a family again. + June loves Nick (and more than Luke if you ask me)

June is beyond help at this point and nothing is going to bring her back to pre-Gilead June. No amount of revenge will satisfy her and I think that will ultimately be her downfall/end in a future season. That’s my theory anyways.

FYC: Lead Actress - Alana Haim (Licorice Pizza)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

And of course the finale is when this the most on display. It goes back into this POV of JUNE IS A HERO SHE IS DEFEATING THE EVIL that was very present in the first few episodes where June is shown as wanting to be this leader of a revolution with an incredible amount of self-importance. And imo this view completely crashes down with the last scene of the finale. It’s like the moment when you see this relationship is never going to work again and Luke is absolutely devastated. June is beyond help at this point and nothing is going to bring her back to pre-Gilead June. No amount of revenge will satisfy her and I think that will ultimately be her downfall/end in a future season. That’s my theory anyways.

I 100% agree. And this is absolutely what the writers intended to do IMO. And, personally, I love that they are going in this direction.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Labyrinth
    Topics:

These type of intellectual discussions (as opposed to the snarky discussions that annually occur on the Oscar threads) are what make forum boards great and execute their purpose.

It’s hard to argue there when there’s such rampant misogyny. I went through the forums when Olivia Colman won and ughhh!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s hard to argue there when there’s such rampant misogyny. I went through the forums when Olivia Colman won and ughhh!!

Won’t go into too much detail because this is a Handmaid‘s thread and it’s off-topic but this site has a weird obsession with Olivia Colman lol.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Labyrinth
    Topics:

but this site has a weird obsession with Olivia Colman lol.

I’ll plead guilty for that😀. I just think she’s an amazing actress and it was painful to see people criticize her for her appearance. But you’re right , let’s bring it back to THT.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

One of my biggest complains about season 3 is how little they focus on Canada. We have Alexis Bledel and Samira Wiley rigth there, two great actress and they could had a much better material to work in that season, for me they had potential to become co-leads with better plots across the season, with less screentime for June and more development on the different traumas of these women. This would only help, IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’ll plead guilty for that😀. I just think she’s an amazing actress and it was painful to see people criticize her for her appearance

Oh no I wasn’t referring to people liking her too much haha! I think she’s incredible too. It’s more that it’s bonkers how she evokes such strong feelings of hate on here.

Anyway I’ll stop now because I don’t want to derail this thread’s topic focus haha.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Labyrinth
    Topics:

Oh no I wasn’t referring to people liking her too much haha! I think she’s incredible too. It’s more that it’s bonkers how she evokes such strong feelings of hate on here

Oh no worries. I got your meaning initially itself😁

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I’m not sure if I’m alone on this, but I don’t think I could ever possibly choose a side when it comes to “Team Nick” and “Team Luke”, which lots of fans of HTH like to partake in. As in, they both seem horrible for June and vice versa. First and foremost, I can’t “ship” Luke and June and advocate for them to return to the way their relationship used to be (because they cannot after all that’s happened) or for them to continue to move forward together because June raped Luke. It’s insanity to ship a rapist with their victim. I want them to have nothing to do with each other. As for Nick, I don’t think I’ll ever move past my distrust for him, as he’s an Eye and he called June selfish for choosing to stay in Gilead. I know I’m probably wrong, but he always carries this air of complicity that is a constant reminder of June’s perpetual psychological and emotional proximity to Gilead. I don’t think any romantic pursuits with either Nick or Luke are appropriate for June, and again vice versa, as the show continues to show us the battle between Gilead and Canada.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

The shipping thing has got to be the single most annoying conversation around THT. The fact that Stacey Wilson asked each and every cast member who they’d choose for June in her THT post-show annoyed the absolute hell out of me. Quite honestly, who cares? As aforesaid, neither Luke nor Nick are right for June because June herself is far from being ready for any relationship. In fact, she will probably never be.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

I’m team don’t fuck this up and somehow end this show well. And end it with Season 6. Doesn’t seem like 5 will be the last one.

FYC: Lead Actress - Alana Haim (Licorice Pizza)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

It’s like the moment when you see this relationship is never going to work again and Luke is absolutely devastated. I mean he was even willing to not mention the rape again (as discussed previously) and pretend like it didn’t happen I guess but that finale showed him: We’ll never be a family again. + June loves Nick (and more than Luke if you ask me)

The juxtaposition of June & Nick as this romantic, star-crossed lovers situation we’re clearly being asked to really root for while June straight up rapes Luke—it’s just so, so, so disturbing. I really do hate that this show has always wanted to have its cake and eat it too, and it’s not because they want to show “different sides”, it’s because they want to keep Elisabeth Moss for as long as possible. “The show is called The Handmaid’s Tale. It’s about June,” says Bruce Miller. So of course, the bulletproof June must forge ahead.

Character-wise, the biggest problem I have is that June raping Luke is 100% not the first time she’s pulled something that could’ve led to her self-destruction storyline like some of you are saying: apart from the many people she’s killed and manipulated, she also…bullied a pregnant handmaid to the point where the handmaid killed herself? There’s just no limit to what June is allowed to do. Her rape of Luke is basically a means to show…yet another cheaply exploitative plot that they didn’t need. Ffs, even if June hadn’t raped Luke—would we really have felt any differently with the rest of the stuff she did this season?

Somehow it’s taken 4 seasons for them to reach this beyond-help point with June when it could’ve…taken 2 :/ I’m firmly of the belief that THT needs June to GO. If they want to segue into The Testaments and Aunt Lydia—they should’ve done it already.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Testimony. Emmy winner Elisabeth Moss.

Oscars FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I really liked Testimony when I first watched it, but having rewatched it twice now, I LOVE it. Everything from the testimony to Emily’s storyline, to Aunt Lydia’s storyline, to Madeline Brewer’s stunning scene. Amazing episode.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Labyrinth
    Topics:

Testimony. Emmy winner Elisabeth Moss.

Personally I thought her final scene in episode 9 to be her best scene this season.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 402 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.