Home Forums Television THE HANDMAID’S TALE SEASON 4 (Premieres 2021)

THE HANDMAID’S TALE SEASON 4 (Premieres 2021)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 402 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
methaddiction
  • Profile picture
    Stranger Among Us
    Topics:

Personally I thought her final scene in episode 9 to be her best scene this season.

Great scene. Great episode. My favorite Elisabeth Moss directed episode of the season!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I always forget how Lizzie directed the hell out of that Last Supper-esque scene in episode 9 (this really isn’t a spoiler, so no worries). Episode 9 is hugely underrated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stranger Among Us
    Topics:

I always forget how Lizzie directed the hell out of that Last Supper-esque scene in episode 9 (this really isn’t a spoiler, so no worries). Episode 9 is hugely underrated.

Yes. And I loved how this episode acted as a breather of sorts because this season really needed one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Without reading anything above to avoid spoilers, I was surprised by how ineffective I found June’s speech in “Testimony” whilst the episode simultaneously managed to convey her psyche better than any other in the season. You would think the two aspects would parallel but seemingly not.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t know whether I would have nominated her personally but Ann Dowd has been really killing it in the small pieces of screen time she’s had this season. Especially in “Testimony” and “Progress” (the power of being directed by Lissie Moss).

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I don’t know whether I would have nominated her personally but Ann Dowd has been really killing it in the small pieces of screen time she’s had this season. Especially in “Testimony” and “Progress” (the power of being directed by Lissie Moss).

Ann Dowd does so much with so little. Her screen time was limited this season (in fact, you have now seen all of it), but she was such a major presence nonetheless. She fills the screen whenever she’s on it. She absolutely earned and deserved that nom.

I also love how Ann’s three best episodes — The Crossing, Testimony and Progress — are, as you said, all directed by Lizzie. She truly did a wonderful job. I hope to see her return to the director’s chair next season. Also, Ep. 9 is Mckenna Grace’s best episode IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stranger Among Us
    Topics:

Without reading anything above to avoid spoilers, I was surprised by how ineffective I found June’s speech in “Testimony” whilst the episode simultaneously managed to convey her psyche better than any other in the season. You would think the two aspects would parallel but seemingly not.

I agree. The whole monologue was hyped up so much before the season aired and Lizzie was great but I thought the writing was a weak recap of the first three seasons of the show and felt inorganic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Also, Ep. 9 is Mckenna Grace’s best episode IMO.

Totally agree. “Pigs” is a showy tape for Grace but in “Progress” she imbues her characterisation with such a raw sense of pain and trauma? I liked her scenes with Madeleine Brewer in particular in this episode.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Ann Dowd does so much with so little. Her screen time was limited this season (in fact, you have now seen all of it), but she was such a major presence nonetheless.

+ this fantastic gif

FYC: Lead Actress - Alana Haim (Licorice Pizza)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Oh, I am should have underscored that people were most certainly “satisfied” with what happens. I, personally, find it hard to be cheering when *the satisfying outcome* is rooted in something so horrific. What happens is both well deserved and devastating and horrible at the same time, if that makes sense. And that’s a good thing!! But maybe we should discuss that in the THT thread.

Waterford is an absolutely awful character but I just cannot cheer for that ending (I didn’t understand some people did, eww). Not because I felt he deserved better (f-ck no that character was atrocious both in character and action) or that I thought the episode had a poor ending but to me the episode’s climax is a tragic one. Instead of justice being at the top of June’s mind, vengeance was and that’s turned her into a monstrous character (one as Ryusei aptly pointed out above will cause her downfall). I think what I liked about this season was that it felt very much like a cautionary tale with its exploration of its characters’ grief. You had the children returned to their actual birth parents who were in denial, Luke who in spite of having established himself a life in Canada was still in a constant feeling of fear and pain, Moira who had accepted her life in Canada and June who now has been overwhelmed with anger. She’s crossed from a path of seeking justice to one dictated by an eye for an eye mentality. At the end of the day she isn’t going to retrieve the life she had pre-Gilead. Part of that is the fault of the Gilead regime and the pain and trauma they’ve inflicted on her, part of it is June’s fault herself. Instead of seeking justice she has been overtaken by her hatred and it’s that hatred that has caused her to become justice as bad in character as Serena. June may do heroic things but she is far from the hero she’s (intentionally) presented to be earlier on in the season.

Oscars FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Well said. I absolutely love what they have done with June because her trajectory is, let’s face it, realistic. Liz Garbus explains it better than I could in the interview I did with her, but not only is June traumatized, she is also now driven almost exclusively by rage and revenge. It’s what drove her in Gilead, and now she has no idea what to do with it in Canada. And everyone, as in fans, always wants her to “heal” and move on, but, like June says in episode 8, does it always have to be about healing? Some people can’t just go the Moira route. It’s almost rude to demand of someone who’s undergone so much to just “move on” in a, for the viewer, digestible and acceptable way. June and Emily certainly can’t move on. That said, murder is murder. And they will not come back from that. There is so much to unpack here. I think what the writers have done with her is brilliant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

So, supposedly, Burton LeBlanc, the show’s makeup department head, said in a recent podcast that season 5 will consist of 13 episodes. I have mixed feelings about this but am hoping it means more screen time for some of the supporting cast. More Ann Dowd, Yvonne Strahovski and Alexis Bledel would be awesome! I know they had to write a lot of things out of S4 due to the pandemic, so I assume we’ll get to see a lot of that as well. I think this also pretty much suggests it isn’t returning until 2023.

It also sounds like it might be the final season: “They really need an extra three episodes to wrap everything up. They have a lot to do next season” – Burton LeBlanc in the Eyes of Gilead Podcast (Though this could mean many things)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

They have hinted the season 5 might be “the end” before so even if it isn’t I think the fact they’re already thinking about it probably means it isn’t far off (maybe season 6)?

‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Creator Bruce Miller On Potential Season 5 End: “I’m Not Going To Overstay My Welcome”

Oscars FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Love the show but I hope it ends next season. It’s time narratively.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Yeah, it’s def ending very soon, which is completely fine — especially since we’re still getting The Tesstaments with Ann Dowd.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 402 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.