Home Forums Television TV Year End Lists – 2022

TV Year End Lists – 2022

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 384 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
adriandecker770
wolfali
Victor

• braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Rolling Stone

RS/Sepinwall completely dropping For All Mankind (#1 last time) has to be the surprise of the season for me.

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

I keep meaning to post this and forgetting, but I’m actually pretty shocked in general about how poorly For All Mankind has been doing this year. I guess part of its success last year was that, when it aired, we were still in a covid lull and it was I think the only prestige drama airing at the time, but it had a lot of critical support. I also keep track of a lot of best of the year so far, best shows of the week, best shows of the month, and For All Mankind was appearing on all of them, I honestly thought it’d repeat it’s #10 spot again or if not that, get into the top 20. I’m not really the biggest fan of For All Mankind, I still haven’t caught up with Season 3, but I’m so confused as to why it went from being everyone’s obsession last year to just being completely dropped.

ReplyCopy URL

Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Interview with the Vampire doesn’t seem to be doing too well with these best of the year lists either.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

I think Industry is going to do very well on The Guardian’s list. This season feels too acclaimed to be blanked completely and the fact it has not been mentioned so far tells me it is probably going to finish somewhere just outside of the top 5 like Starstruck did last year (both are younger skewing homegrown BBC/HBO co-productions that received substantial critical acclaim). Bad Sisters being 20th surprises me seeing how well Horgan’s shows have done with The Guardian in the past (I don’t think Catastrophe has ever missed a single top 10 with The Guardian even as its critical hype cooled down) but it’s still a solid placement seeing how AppleTV+ hasn’t really done as well on the year end lists of the UK broadsheets as they have stateside (I think Ted Lasso season 2 is the only Apple show prior to Pachinko and Bad Sisters to be in the top 20 on The Guardian’s list and that was like 13th) and they’re really still into the first year of their expansion into UK and Ireland originals.

The last four list toppers have all been predictable (It’s a Sin and I May Destroy You were by far the most acclaimed British shows of their years, both on a domestic and international scale, Killing Eve was always going to be no.1 in 2018 and the top spot in 2019 was always going to one of Chernobyl, Fleabag and Succession). If the trend continues This is Going to Hurt should be number one although the fact that Sherwood was more or less just as successful critically and commercially in the UK as it (and in the former sense arguably moreso) makes it a bit more interesting. Since 2017 only two imports have topped their lists in The Handmaid’s Tale and Succession. The latter more or less had an automatic advantage as a Sky/HBO critical darling whose show-runner is one of the most respected British TV writers today and the former had a massive cultural moment that I don’t think any show this year has really had on a comparable scale. But it will be interesting nonetheless to see if any of Better Call Saul, The Bear, The Rehearsal or Severance end up clinching the top spot here. Regardless I’m sure Severance will be in the top 5 somewhere like Mare of Easttown was last year and it will be interesting to see where Better Call Saul finishes seeing it has finished in previous years in 14th, 18th and wasn’t even on their 2017 list.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

I can’t find my comment from the other day so I guess somehow I deleted it, but I said that as long as a show’s critical reception is merely positive, visibility is the utmost important for critics list aggregates. House of the Dragon’s high placement proves it. It being anywhere near the top ten is extremely baffling otherwise.

Hmm I disagree. Some of these publications had an affinity for GoT even as others didn’t (like The Guardian who gave the series finale a rave) so House of the Dragon being on them isn’t surprising to me but the fact that there seems to be enough passion for it to make the aggregate only goes to show how much the critical reception towards it actually improved in the back half of episodes that weren’t screened for critics. C0mplex had it listed above Abbott Elementary and Barry and The Guardian had it in 12th (a position that in the past few years has been occupied by the likes of Uprising, Mrs. America, GLOW, Inside No.9 and Top Boy). Both publications go beyond a top 10 for shows to the extent that Ozark has made every single one of The Guardian’s year end lists somewhere between 30th and 50th (even in spite of its first two season having lukewarm critical receptions at best).

I didn’t even like the show that much and prefer these seasons of Better Call Saul,  Severance, The Boys and even The Crown to it but the fact that House of the Dragon is not only making these lists but is also placing highly on them tells me more that there is actual critical passion towards it as opposed to its visibility boosting it. It isn’t even on as many lists on the Metacritic aggregate as something like Bad Sisters in spite of it being 10 times bigger than it as a show.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

Really enjoy your analysis of The Guardian’s list tendencies, I’ve done something similar on my own with The AV Club’s list, which is what got me interested in aggregating TV lists in the first place (although a lot of those trends seem pretty useless now given that The AV Club isn’t doing aggregates anymore and almost all of the staff from last year has been laid off.) I’m not sure why, maybe just because of the site’s layout or the countdown style, but The Guardian is generally one of the publications whose list I think more highly of.

I’m excited at the prospect of Industry performing really well, it’s nice that someone is recognizing it and it does make sense considering its British production side and the increased buzz it’s gotten from critics this year. Also, I saw some acclaim for Statrstuck’s second season earlier this year, do you think it has any chance of getting into The Guardian’s Top 10? I’m also shocked by Bad Sisters, I really thought it could give This is Going to Hurt a run for its money for the #1 spot.

Also, I could be completely wrong on this but you mentioning Saul, Rehearsal, etc., I feel like The Guardian’s list is generally split between critically acclaimed British shows and shows that have done well in the aggregate, so I wouldn’t be totally surprised if Reservation Dogs makes it into the top 10 as well.

I also think your analysis of House of the Dragon is pretty spot on, either it gets completely shut out of lists or it ends up pretty highly so far. There are a lot of shows that have had similar critical reception to HotD and similar popularity (Stranger Things, Wednesday) that aren’t doing nearly as well, so I agree that the last few episodes seemed to have won over a lot of critics (or in actuality the metacritic score was pretty strongly split between critics giving it very low scores and very high scores, and of course everyone giving it a high score is now contributing to its Metacritic placement.)

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

TV Pulse

(Doubt this will be metacritic eligible but I thought it was interesting)

Station Eleven

Severance

The Bear

Andor

Better Call Saul

ReplyCopy URL

Victor
    Topics:

Ozark

For a second there i forgot this show existed, s4 really came and went.

Please! These gays, they're trying to murder me!

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

New Statesman

Marriage

The English

The White Lotus

The Newsreader

Sherwood

The Dropout

Freddie Flintoff’s Field of Dreams

Big Oil vs the World

Chloe

I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!

ReplyCopy URL

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Not aggregate eligible but TV Guide’s 20 Best Performances of 2022

20. Frankie Quiñones, This Fool
    19. Samuel L. Jackson, The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey
    18. Colton Ryan, The Girl from Plainville
    17. Myha’la Herrold, Industry
    16. John Ealy, Search Party
    15. Taron Egerton and Paul Walter Hauser, Black Bird
    14. Paddy Considine, House of the Dragon
    13. Himesh Patel, Station Eleven
    12. Kim Min-ha, Pachinko
    11. Aubrey Plaza, The White Lotus

10. Jake Johnson, Minx
    9. Ayo Edebiri, The Bear
    8. Sarah Goldberg, Barry
    7. Colin Firth and Toni Collette, The Staircase
    6. Janelle James, Abbott Elementary
    5. Jacob Anderson and Sam Reid, Interview with the Vampire
    4. Bob Odenkirk and Rhea Seehorn, Better Call Saul
    3. Edi Patterson, The Righteous Gemstones
    2. The Cast of Severance
    1. Jerrod Carmichael, Rothaniel

Honourable Mentions:

• Paulina Alexis, Reservation Dogs
    • Andre Braugher, The Good Fight
    • John Cena, Peacemaker
    • Jessica Collins, Acapulco
    • Claire Danes, Fleishman Is in Trouble
    • Julia Garner, Inventing Anna and Ozark
    • Brian Tyree Henry, Atlanta
    • Katja Herbers, Evil

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

Metacritic update today:

Before the top 3 were neck and neck, now Better Call Saul has a decent lead on Severance. Also interesting that Heartstopper got on the board, probably because of NME’s #1 placement. Let me know if there’s any other interesting jumps/falls if you notice them, I don’t have a record of yesterday’s ranking

ReplyCopy URL

Victor
    Topics:

I don’t think Bad Sisters is gonna end up in the top 10, i think it peaked with the earlier lists. Recent ones don’t have it so high so i expect it to finish around #15 or something like that.

Abbott is kinda flopping.

Please! These gays, they're trying to murder me!

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I read a bunch of early House of The Dragon reviews and I think they were particularly prone to what is probably best described as “audience reaction prognosticating” which I’ve noticed a lot this year in reviews (and which I wish they’d refrain from)- i.e reviewers crystal-balling on whether audiences will like it and that ultimately reflecting on the score

Reviewers have been quite off base on a number of shows like that this year but when something is as big a hit as House of The Dragon was it is difficult to continue to internally tell yourself that message especially with three or four months grace period.

ReplyCopy URL

FNLlove
    Topics:

Metacritic update today: Before the top 3 were neck and neck, now Better Call Saul has a decent lead on Severance. Also interesting that Heartstopper got on the board, probably because of NME’s #1 placement. Let me know if there’s any other interesting jumps/falls if you notice them, I don’t have a record of yesterday’s ranking

Shoot. Looks like they didn’t count Tom’s Guide, which would have given Severance another #1. Lame.

ReplyCopy URL

adriandecker770
    Topics:

The Guardian names This Is Going to Hurt the tenth best show of the year.

Kind of shocked it’s this low, I guess that means the winner is bucking the “British show popular with American critics” trend. Clearing the path for Sherwood? I was thinking oh, with Hurt and Bad Sisters out of the way that’s all of them, but is there any chance they go for Derry Girls as their number 1 pick?

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 384 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.