Home Forums Television What do the 2021 wins tell us about the 2022 race?

What do the 2021 wins tell us about the 2022 race?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kat_ebbs
wolfali
VedanthM
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Well that didn’t work well for Anya Taylor-Joy…

Taylor-Joy has an even more complicated citizenship history than Anderson.

She also lost to a Brit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Anya Taylor-Joy lost to a British national treasure and was probably even third (top two being British-one a legend and the other a breakout with huge passion).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Watcher
    Topics:

Well that didn’t work well for Anya Taylor-Joy…

True but Winslet is also British, a seriously superior actress, and her show swept across the board in acting noms so still a similar principle

Maybe add then if there’s contention within that always go with the more experienced/famous and award winning British contender e.g. Colman and Winslet

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

True but Winslet is also British, a seriously superior actress, and her show swept across the board in acting noms so still a similar principle Maybe add then if there’s contention within that always go with the more experienced/famous and award winning British contender e.g. Colman and Winslet

I know. But my point more was that I don’t think Winslet won because she was British. I can understand applying to this argument to Michaela Coel (because her show is a British one and was a pop-cultural phenomenon in the UK) or to The Crown but it ultimately is about appeal and at the end of the day Winslet’s comeback performance as a flawed single mother and detective in a HBO hit had universal appeal.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Maybe add then if there’s contention within that always go with the more experienced/famous and award winning British contender e.g. Colman and Winslet

To be fair, Julia Garner beat out five Brits, but I would also say there was not a clear enough answer to that in her category to give her the edge.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I actually don’t think there’s a UK Block of voters, I think there’s a general affection for British content and actors in general. If the UK block were that strong, It’s A Sin would have gotten in EASILY.

It might even be there is just a growing tendency to see things in a (baby steps) slightly more international manner – we saw it with Schitt’s last year, and Unorthodox, and Netflix often shout in to the void that most of their most popular content is not American  – it’s often not even English-language.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Watcher
    Topics:

Fair – I didn’t really mean the British bloc is about them all voting for each other – it’s more than that, as it’s also about how they tend to have a wider appeal to US audiences and are viewed as better trained (often because they are)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DanC
    Topics:

I actually don’t think there’s a UK Block of voters, I think there’s a general affection for British content and actors in general. If the UK block were that strong, It’s A Sin would have gotten in EASILY.

I agree. Ted Lasso & The Crown really are just that beloved. Its not like Thomas Brodie-Sangster or Paapa Essiedu ended up winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

I am too, but I have lost all hope for Sandra Oh

I haven’t. Fingers crossed. Comer could be the hurdle there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not necessarily about the 2022 race but the Hacks win in directing only goes further to show that the branch doesn’t care about how flashy your work is or how big a name a director is when it comes to the win. Winning that category depends on your strength in series.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Praying for Sandra for her last season of KE! Please get it, girl.

I am too, but I have lost all hope for Sandra Oh

I have this fear that they’ll nominate her for lead in BOTH Drama (Killing Eve) AND Comedy (The Faculty) and then deny her a win in BOTH categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

If the UK block were that strong, It’s A Sin would have gotten in EASILY.

I’m still befuddled that even Davies couldn’t get in Writing.

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean C
    Topics:

If you’re predicting a show to win both writing and directing and it has multiple nominees in one or both, pick the same episode in both if it’s an option — see the results for The Crown this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If you’re predicting a show to win both writing and directing and it has multiple nominees in one or both, pick the same episode in both if it’s an option — see the results for The Crown this year.

I disagree. Two different episodes of Succession won writing and directing last year.

Oscars FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.