Home Forums Video Games The Game Awards 2019 Predictions

The Game Awards 2019 Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
replies
views
users
Cordelia
John Berchmans
doughyjunn
  • Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

So The Game Awards are back on again this year – December 12 2019. I thought it’d be fun to predict some stuff.

Now the cutoff period for game release dates last year was November 22, 2018, so let’s assume a late November cutoff for nominees release dates. Furthermore, 2018 December games are eligible.

2018’s categories were

• Game of the Year
    • Best Game Direction
    • Best Ongoing Game (already released games maintaining support with updates)
    • Best Narrative
    • Best Art Direction
    • Best Score/Music
    • Best Audio Design (think an equivalent to the sound mixing/editing awards)
    • Best Performance (gender-neutral category, 5 nominations)
    • Games For Impact (games that address meaningful subject matter, EG Celeste addressing mental health)
    • Best Independent Game
    • Best Mobile Game
    • Best VR/AR game
    • Best Action Game
    • Best Action/Adventure Game (the difference between action and action adventure is that action tends to be more linear and action adventure tends to be more open world. Think the difference between Call of Duty and Red Dead Redemption)
    • Best Role-Playing Game
    • Best Fighting Game
    • Best Family Game (E or E10+ multiplayer/social games generally)
    • Best Strategy Game
    • Best Sports/Racing Game
    • Best Multiplayer Game
    • Best Debut Indie Game (first of an indie studio)
    • Content Creator of the Year (this is kinda cursed, almost every winner of this award has gotten caught in a scandal subsequently EG Dr Disrespect cheating)

There are other categories, but these are the ones that are more predictable

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

So now the generic OP Is out, time for some predictions

GAME OF THE YEAR

– Death Stranding is definitely getting nominated. Geoff Keighley (the runner of the Game Awards) not only has a friendship with its director Hideo Kojima, but is also literally in the game. You can debate conflicts of interest I guess, but this looks like an ambitious and bizarre game so no complaints here.

– Sekrio: Shadows Die Twice is likely getting nominated. Dark Souls II in 2014 and Bloodborne in 2015 (both also From Software games) got game of the year nominations, and this is a slightly less competitive year.

– Resident Evil 2’s remake is likely getting nominated. While it is a remake, it is a very detailed redo that is quite different in how it plays. It also has gotten the best reviews of any game this year so far.

– A Nintendo game will get nominated. In 2014, 15, and 17 Nintendo got a GOTY nomination with either a first party game or a game they published. The question is: which game?

• Super Mario Maker 2 is a sequel to a 2015 GOTY nominee
    • Fire Emblem: Three Houses has the best reviews of any Nintendo game this year, though isn’t connected to any previous nominees for GOTY.
    • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate received great reviews and ongoing support, however it came out December last year so voters may forget about it
    • Astral Chain is made by Platinum Games, who also made Bayonetta 2, a GOTY nominee. However, the reviews aren’t quite as great, and Platinum also missed on a NieR: Automata nomination
    • Luigi’s Mansion 3 also looks good, however it remains unreleased
    • Pokemon Sword and Shield have big franchise clout but also a big backlash

– Devil May Cry V might get nominated. It got great reviews, however no previous Devil May Cry has been nominated for any other awards – even at the VGX predecessor to this.

– Apex Legends might get nominated. It’s a battle royale game, which the success of PUBG and Fortnite at their respective GOTY awards shows is a genre that gets buzz. Furthermore, the developer – Respawn Entertainment – got a nomination for Game of the Year in 2016 for Titanfall 2.

– Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is also by Respawn Entertainment, and is a single-player game in a similar vein to other GOTY nominees like God Of War or Uncharted: Big polished narrative focus. However, it isn’t out, so it remains a bit of an unknown quantity.

Other games that might be candidates include Slay The Spire (it’s indie, but has gotten amazing reviews and has a cult fanbase), Borderlands 3 (sequel to GOTY nominee), Control, Gears 5 (member of GOTY nominated series), Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare (member of GOTY nominated series), DOOM Eternal, The Outer Worlds

Of these, my 5 predicted nominees (in alphabetical order) are

– Apex Legends

– Death Stranding

– Resident Evil 2

– Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

– Super Mario Maker 2

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Cordelia.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Cordelia.

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going to go through all the genre categories. First of all: FIGHTING. Not many fighting games release each year, so this should be easy.

• Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Came out December last year, would have gotten a GOTY nomination in 2018 if not for the cutoff
    • Mortal Kombat 11 is a big franchise entry, was announced in last year’s
    • Samurai Shodown is a bit of an underdog, but SNK has been seeing a boost in appreciation recently, in particularly with Terry showing up in Smash.
    • Dead or Alive 6 is a franchise I guess? Didn’t show up at EVO, got so-so buzz. But 4th slot

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I think SSBU could get a nomination for GOTY, since it’s managed to stay relevant through all of the DLC reveals: they might even have another one at this year’s Gane Awards. At the very least, it won’t be completely ignored: fighting, family, and multiplayer are pretty solid bets.

BP: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari, Marriage Story,
    BD: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips, Noah Baumbach
    Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Adam Driver, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Actress: Lupita Nyong'o, Scarlett Johansson
    S. Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino, Alan Alda
    S. Actress: Laura Dern, Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    AS: Jojo Rabbit, Joker, The Irishman

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Time for another genre category

Best Role-Playing Game

This category tends to reward Role-Playing games that focus on their genre. Games such as Assassin’s Creed Odyssey or Destiny 2 that are genre hybrids tend to go in Action or Action Adventure. However, there is some guesswork as games such as Monster Hunter World which have action elements can get nominated. I will use discretion here.

• The Outer Worlds: Obsidian is a cult RPG developer who had gotten screwed over by Bethesda. This is the singleplayer Fallout some want, and buzz has generally been positive
    • Kingdom Hearts III: Square Enix is an RPG developer of note, this got good reviews and has a vocal fanbase. Also, it’s very pretty and you can summon Simba to fight anime bad guys.
    • Pokemon Sword/Shield: While Pokemon is a big franchise, this is a low for public perception of the Pokemon games. Still, it’s Game Freak
    • Indivisible: Long-awaited, this indie action RPG has a unique combat system with turn-based and real-time combo elements, a gorgeous artstyle, influences from mythologies, and an amazing soundtrack. Personally really looking forward to this one
    • Disco Elysium: This seems like a very bizarre yet original RPG about a drunken detective. This has gotten cult buzz for years.
    • Little Town Hero: Also made by Game Freak, but a smaller-scale and quirkier RPG with a soundtrack by Toby Fox
    • Cube World: Inspired by Minecraft but with more RPG elements, this has been in a very long development yet maintained buzz and a loyal fanbase. Might be a breakout hit
    • Dragon Quest Builders 2: The Dragon Quest series has been nominated before, and this is a combination of RPG elements and Minecraft. A trend is forming

My predictions are

– The Outer Worlds
    – Kingdom Hearts III
    – Pokemon Sword/Shield
    – Indivisible
    – Disco Elysium

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Cordelia.

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Another category? How about… Strategy

• Fire Emblem: Three Echoes – one of the most acclaimed games of the year, and Fire Emblem games have gotten nominations in this category before
    • Total War: Three Kingdoms – Total war games also get a lot of nominations in this category
    • Killer Queen Black – This is a 2D platformer 4v4 real time strategy game with multiple win conditions.
    • Slay The Spire – I’m not sure what genre category this card-based roguelike goes under, so strategy it is. One of the most acclaimed games of the year.
    • DOTA Auto Chess/Dota Underlords/Teamfight Tactics – the autobattler strategy subgenre had a breakout this year, and while I’m not sure if it will be recognised, at least one of these games might get in
    • Imperator: Rome – Paradox games makes super elaborate, in depth strategy games. This isn’t as big a game in the same way as Crusader Kings II, but the name has clout.
    • Anno 1800 – strategy game

I’m predicting

– Fire Emblem: Three Echoes

– Total War: Three Kingdoms

– Killer Queen Black

– Slay The Spire

– DOTA Underlords

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

So the Golden Joysticks are kinda the first precursor award to the Game Awards, and they have released their Game of the Year nominations

• Apex Legends (EA / Respawn Entertainment)
    • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Activision Blizzard / Infinity Ward)
    • Control (505 Games / Remedy Entertainment)
    • Disco Elysium (Studio ZA/UM / Studio ZA/UM)
    • Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Nintendo / Intelligent Systems)
    • Gears 5 (Xbox Game Studios / The Coalition)
    • Outer Wilds (Annapurna Interactive / Mobius Digital)
    • Resident Evil 2 (Capcom / Capcom)
    • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (Activision / FromSoftware)
    • Telling Lies (Annapurna Interactive / Furious Bee)
    • The Outer Worlds (Private Division / Obsidian Entertainment)
    • Untitled Goose Game (House House / Panic Inc.)

This is a lot of nominations and also has an earlier cutoff (this week) than The Game Awards, so some games such as Death Stranding are not eligible.

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    doughyjunn
    Participant
    Topics:

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. I’ve been an Oscar junkie for almost 2 decades, but I rarely see video game prediction posts. Anyway…

So we’re still waiting on the release and review scores for the November games, but as of right now here are my predictions with notes about each:

-Death Stranding
    -The Outer Worlds
    -Resident Evil 2 Remake
    -Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    -Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Death Stranding: As Cordelia mentioned, I think this one is a given. There is no way that Death Stranding isn’t going to get a least a nomination at Geoff Keighley’s show. And unless the game is a complete misfire, I assume the hype and the love for Kojima will be enough to push it in as well. And besides all of that, the game also looks wildly original with what seems to be some great graphics, an bizarre world, and some top tier actors and actresses doing voice and motion capture work.

The Outer Worlds: I think this game is hitting at exactly the right time. People are going to be playing it in the weeks leading up to the nominations. It’s also giving the community the Fallout-style game everyone has been craving along with some interesting world building. This one doesn’t feel like a winner, but I could see nominations for GOtY, Narrative, Score/Music, RPG, Art Direction, etc.

Resident Evil 2 Remake: This is a strange one. On one hand, I could see them not nominating it because it is a remake and they haven’t embraced those yet. Part of me feels like they should try to champion new, original products. But this is also an incredibly high quality remake and is the best reviewed game of the year so far. It also does make some changes to the gameplay and isn’t just a graphical overhaul. I’ll be interested to see how this one lands throughout the nominations.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice: This is another one that I’m not too confident in. The reviews are very strong and they have nominated Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne previously, but they also snubbed Dark Souls 3 in every category except for RPG. The gameplay is a lot of fun and is a welcome revision to that Soulsborne formula, but I do wonder if the difficulty wall ostracizes the voters who are a bit more casual. I’m putting it here because I think that the inclusion of a bit more focused narrative (at least compared to the other From Software games) helps it and I can see it getting into some of the craft categories as well. This is probably my favorite game of the year from the short list of games I’ve played, but I am still stuck on the final boss.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order: I think this game is being underestimated and, if the reviews are good, I think the nomination is in the bag. Early impressions seem to indicate that that it does a great job meshing together elements from a variety of games like Uncharted and Dark Souls even if it doesn’t perfect any of them. This game gives me PS4 Spider-Man vibes where it ends up being played by a large audience since it’s based on a well loved franchise and exceeds a lot of the expectations. The visuals, audio design, combat, and voice acting all seem top notch. So I think it’s going to be an across the board contender.

I’m really questioning myself for not including any Nintendo games, especially since they’ve had a good year. But none of the games feel like locks in the way Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey did a few years back.

Some notes about the 3 Nintendo games I think are possibilities:

Fire Emblem: Three Houses: This seems like the best bet because it does have the reviews to back it up and seems to have connected with a new audience who wasn’t familiar with the series previously. I just wonder if the game is too niche and may only get nominated in the RPG and/or Strategy game categories.

Super Mario Maker 2: It feels like it has a “been there, done that” vibe. Reviews are great and people seem to love it, but I don’t know if it has the passion to get in anywhere except for best Family game this year.

Astral Chain: I could see it popping up for Art Direction, Score/Music, and one of the genre categories depending on if it’s placed in Action, Adventure, or RPG. It doesn’t feel like it has the passion that Nier: Automata had though, which got GOTY nominations at other shows by not at The Game Awards.

I also think Apex Legends and Control are in the conversation for some nominations at least.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  doughyjunn.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

So Death Stranding reviews are out and… this game seems super divisive. A lot of negative reviews, a lot of positive reviews. Seems slow-paced, introspective, and indulgent. Quite frankly, I’m looking forward to it for that reason.

Death Stranding might not be quite a stone cold lock any more – but I think it will get a nomination. Oscars ballot logic might apply here, where it’s divisive but passionate voters are really passionate.

I’m changing my predictions for Game of the Year

Old list

– Apex Legends (cut)

– Death Stranding

– Resident Evil 2

– Super Mario Maker 2 (cut)

New List

– Death Stranding

– Disco Elysium

– Resident Evil 2

– The Outer Worlds

Cuts

– Apex Legends, because I suspect Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order will split votes for Respawn fans (I’m not quite confident enough yet to put that in my list), and that Fortnite was bigger in 2018 and that didn’t get a nomination in an arguably weaker year

– Super Mario Maker 2, because it hasn’t really received as much long-term post launch support as Super Mario Maker 1, which gave that game long-term attention and coverage that might’ve helped get some votes.

Additions

– Disco Elysium, because it’s very highly acclaimed, receiving wide coverage for a game of its niche, and is a pretty unique genre take. I’m playing this and it might be my favourite game of the year? It’s certainly the most well-written and conceptually bold game of the year.

– The Outer Worlds, because it has a narrative for campaigning that is as strong as the best Oscars ones this year*, is widely acclaimed, and a fairly accessible game.

*Basically for those not in the know, the makers of this game (Obsidian) made a 2010 game called Fallout New Vegas, with the talent that started that original series working on the new engine Bethesda established in Fallout 3. Obsidian was given only 18 months to complete this game by Bethesda, which was ridiculous. The game was acclaimed for its writing and is now held to be the peak of the series, but because of bugs from the bad engine and rushed development, it received an 84. Bethesda promised bonuses at an 85 metacritic score. Obsidian did not work with Bethesda again. Fast-forward to 2019. Bethesda has made Fallout into a widely panned multiplayer game, while Obsidian made The Outer Worlds, a spiritual successor that delivers on the fallout games better than anything Bethesda made. This karmic narrative is fascinating, and if video games had an Oscars season like cycle of interviews and FYC ads, that would get brought up a lot.

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    RichardAniston
    Participant
    Topics:

Nominees will be announced on Tuesday, the 19th.

My Game of the Year Predictions:

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    Resident Evil 2
    Fire Emblem: The Three Houses
    Disco Elysium
    Death Stranding

Sekiro and RE2 are pretty much locks, but the rest is up in the air. There is usually one Indie game that makes the cut and Disco Elysium is the most acclaimed one this year. FE3H is an highly acclaimed Nintendo game and could be make up for them not getting into GOTY last year. Despite the reception not being strong as strong as many anticipated, the fact that its a Kojima game with huge production values will carry it over.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

So the Golden Joystick Awards happened! Here are the results (with irrelevant categories to future consideration removed). Keep in mind these are publically voted.

Best Storytelling – Days Gone
    Best Multiplayer Game – Apex Legends
    Still Playing Award – Minecraft
    Best Visual Design – Devil May Cry 5
    Best Indie Game – Outer Wilds
    Best Audio – Resident Evil 2
    Best VR/AR Game – Beat Saber
    Best Performer – Logan Marshall-Green (Telling Lies)
    Studio of the Year – Epic Games
    Breakthrough Award – House House (Untitled Goose Game)
    Mobile Game of the Year – BTS World
    Outstanding Contribution – Life is Strange
    PC Game of the Year – World of Warcraft Classic
    PlayStation Game of the Year – Days Gone
    Xbox Game of the Year – Gears 5
    Nintendo Game of the Year – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Critics’ Choice Award – Control
    Ultimate Game of the Year – Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 2 being the Ultimate Game of the Year is a big one. That game is a remake, but I guess it’s that good and has thin enough competition that it can be a contender for the big prizes. (A Star Is Born wishes)

Control being the critic’s choice is fascinating. That game got less positive reviews than Resident Evil 2, but definitely has its fans. Maybe it’ll sneak into GOTY?

Also –

The nominations are coming out Tuesday 19 November

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

List

Oldest list

– Apex Legends (cut)

– Death Stranding

– Resident Evil 2

– Super Mario Maker 2 (cut)

Old List

– Death Stranding

– Disco Elysium

– Resident Evil 2

– Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (cut)

– The Outer Worlds

New List

– Control (new)

– Death Stranding

– Disco Elysium

– Resident Evil 2

– The Outer Worlds

If The Game Awards had 10 nominees a la Oscars 09-10, it would be

• Apex Legends
    • Control
    • Death Stranding
    • Devil May Cry V
    • Disco Elysium
    • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    • Resident Evil 2
    • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
    • The Outer Worlds

With Super Mario Maker 2, Untitled Goose Game, Slay The Spire, Outer Wilds, and Gears 5 as spoilers.

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    doughyjunn
    Participant
    Topics:

Since tomorrow is nomination day, I thought I might as well post my full list of predictions.

A couple notes:

I’m leaving off all of the Esports and Content Creator categories because I have no idea about these.

Some categories also have question marks because I’m not sure what else is a contender. And for Debut Indie Game, I don’t know if these games are definitely the studio’s first game or not.

Game of the Year
    Death Stranding
    Disco Elysium
    The Outer Worlds
    Resident Evil 2 Remake
    Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Other Contenders (in order of likelihood):
    Control
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Untitled Goose Game
    Astral Chain

Best Game Direction
    Control- Remedy Games
    Death Stranding- Kojima Productions
    The Outer Worlds- Obsidian Entertainment
    Resident Evil 2 Remake- Capcom
    Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order- Respawn Entertainment

Best Narrative
    Death Stranding
    Disco Elysium
    The Outer Worlds
    Telling Lies

Best Action Game
    Apex Legends
    Borderlands 3
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
    Devil May Cry 5

Best Role Playing Game
    Disco Elysium
    Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
    Kingdom Hearts 3
    The Outer Worlds

Best Fighting Game
    Mortal Kombat 11
    Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    ???

Best Family Game
    The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Remake
    Luigi’s Mansion 3
    Pokemon: Sword and Shield
    Super Mario Maker 2
    Untitled Goose Game

Best Action/Adventure Game
    Astral Chain
    Control
    Death Stranding
    Resident Evil 2 Remake

Best Score/Music
    Astral Chain
    Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer
    Death Stranding
    The Outer Worlds

Best Art Direction
    Control
    Death Stranding
    The Outer Worlds

Best Performance
    Logan Marshall Green- Telling Lies
    Courtney Hope- Control
    Mads Mikkelsen- Death Stranding
    Cameron Monaghan- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
    Norman Reedus- Death Stranding

Best Ongoing Game
    Apex Legends
    Fortnite
    Overwatch
    Rainbow Six Siege
    World of Warcraft

Best Strategy Game
    Age of Wonders: Planetfall
    Anno 1800
    Slay the Spire
    Total War: Three Kingdoms

Best Sports/Racing Game
    F1 2019
    FIFA 20
    Madden NFL 20
    MLB 19: The Show
    NBA 2K20

Best Multiplayer Game
    Apex Legends
    Borderlands 3
    Gears 5
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Best Independent Game
    Baba is You
    Disco Elysium
    The Outer Wilds
    Katana Zero
    Untitled Goose Game

Best Debut Indie Game
    Baba is You
    Disco Elysium
    My Friend Pedro
    The Outer Wilds
    ???

Best Mobile Game
    Dr. Mario World
    Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
    Mario Kart Tour
    Sayonara Wild Hearts
    Telling Lies

Best VR/AR Game
    Asgard’s Wrath
    Blood & Truth
    Everybody’s Golf VR
    No Man’s Sky: Beyond
    Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot

Most Anticipated Game
    The Avengers
    Cyberpunk 2077
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Halo Infinite
    The Last of Us II

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  doughyjunn.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

NOMINATIONS

Game of the Year
    Control
    Death Stranding
    The Outer Worlds
    Resident Evil 2
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (wasn’t it released last year?)

Action Game
    Apex Legends
    Astral Chain
    Devil May Cry 5
    Gears 5
    Metro Exodus

Action/Adventure Game
    Borderlands 3
    Control
    Death Stranding
    The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
    Resident Evil 2

Art Direction
    Control
    Death Stranding
    Gris
    The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
    Sayonara Wild Hearts

Audio Design
    Control
    Death Stranding
    Gears 5
    Resident Evil 2

Community Support
    Apex Legends
    Destiny 2
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Fortnite
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege

Content Creator of the Year
    Jack “Courage” Dunlop
    Benjamin “Dr.” Lupo
    Soleil “Ewok” Wheeler
    David “Grefg” Martinez
    Michael “Shroud” Grzesiek

Esports Coach
    Eric “Adren” Hoag
    Nu-Ri “Cain” Jang
    Fabian “Grabbz” Lohmann
    Kim “Kkoma” Jeong-Gyun
    Titouan “Sockshka” Merloz
    Danny “Zonic” Sorensen

Esports Event
    2019 Overwatch League Grand Finals
    Evo 2019
    Fortnite World Cup
    Iem Katowice 2019
    The International 2019
    League of Legends World Championship 2019

Esports Game of the Year
    Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    Dota2
    Fortnite
    League of Legends
    Overwatch

Esports Host
    Eefje “Sjokz” Depoortere
    Alex “Machine” Richardson
    Paul “Redeye” Chaloner
    Alex “Goldenboy” Mendez
    Duan “Candice” Yu-Shuang

Esports Player
    Kyle “Bucha” Giersdorf
    Lee “Faker” Sang-Hyeok
    Luka “Perkz” Perkovic
    Olekandr “S1mple” Kostyliev
    Jay “Sinatraa” Won

Esports Team
    Astralis
    G2 Esports
    OG
    San Francisco Shock
    Team Liquid

Family Game
    Luigi’s Mansion 3
    Ring Fit Adventure
    Super Mario Maker 2
    Yoshi’s Crafted World

Fighting Game
    Dead or Alive 6
    Jump Force
    Mortal Kombat 11
    Samurai Showdown

Fresh Indie Game
    Za/Um for Disco Elysium
    Nomada Studio for Gris
    Deadtoast Entertainment for My Friend Pedro
    Mobius Digital for Outer Wilds
    Mega Crit for Slay the Spire
    House House for Untitled Goose Game

Game Direction
    Control
    Death Stranding
    Outer Wilds
    Resident Evil 2

Games for Change
    Concrete Genie
    Gris
    Kind Words
    Life is Strange 2
    Sea of Solitude

Independent Game
    Baba is You
    Disco Elysium
    Katana Zero
    Outer Wilds
    Untitled Goose Game

Mobile Game
    Call of Duty: Mobile
    Grindstone
    Sayonara Wild Hearts
    Sky: Children of Light
    What the Golf?

Multiplayer Game
    Apex Legends
    Borderlands 3
    Tetris 99
    Tom Clancy’s The Division 2

Narrative
    A Plague Tale: Innocence
    Control
    Death Stranding
    Disco Elysium
    The Outer Worlds

Ongoing Game
    Apex Legends
    Destiny 2
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Fortnite
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege

Performance
    Laura Bailey – Gears 5
    Ashly Burch – The Outer Worlds
    Courtney Hope – Control
    Mads Mikkelsen – Death Stranding
    Matthew Porretta – Control
    Norman Reedus – Death Stranding

Role-Playing Game
    Disco Elysium
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Kingdom Hearts III
    Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
    The Outer Worlds

Score & Music
    Cadence of Hyrule
    Death Stranding
    Devil May Cry 5
    Kingdom Hearts III
    Sayonara Wild Hearts

Sports/Racing Game
    Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
    DiRT Rally 2.0
    F1 2019
    FIFA 20
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2020

Strategy Game
    Ace of Wonders: Planetfall
    Anno 1800
    Total War: Three Kingdoms
    Tropico 6
    Wargroove

VR/AR Game
    Asgard’s Wrath
    Blood & Truth
    Beat Saber
    No Man’s Sky
    Trover Saves the Universe

I'm not perfect, but I keep trying.

ReplyCopy URL
    doughyjunn
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, I now regret going as “all-in” for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order as I did. Reviews are solid, if not exceptional, and I heard of a lot of reviewers that still loved the game despite its technical issues. I thought this one would go the way of Uncharted 4 or Spider-Man as a well loved single player game that gets a ton of nominations even if it didn’t win much.

I have to assume that the late release played some part in its miss, but I still assumed it would squeeze in somewhere like Adventure Game. Pokemon: Sword and Shield is another game that ended up with zero noms and had a late release as well.

In response to Tyler the Awesome Guy, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Gris were both 2018 games but missed the cutoff last year. The eligibility period for this year is November 23, 2018 to November 15, 2019. So these games that were released in December 2018 are eligible this year.

I think this is a battle between Resident Evil 2 and Death Stranding. There’s also the possibility of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate coming up the middle if there’s a lot of love for Nintendo.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  doughyjunn.
    ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.