ESPN’s pop culture expert Adnan Virk has trouble sizing up the super bowl of showbiz — the Oscars — in his webcam chat with me and Gold Derby managing editor Chris Beachum. Watch video above or listen to the audio podcast version below.
Tracking the Best Picture race is the toughest part. “‘Roma’ is incredible and it’s beautifully shot, but a subtitled film has never won Best Picture and it’s in black and and there’s some backlash against Netflix,” he says. “It has all of these issues.
“‘A Star Is Born’ — It’s a huge commercial success. It really came from Bradley Cooper‘s heart. I think he has an excellent shot to win Best Actor. Lady Gaga could win Best Actress. But do you really think that a film that is a remake for the fourth time is going to win a Best Picture? Is that what we’re looking at here? There’s no clear frontrunner and each film I think is in the mix has several drawbacks.”
Check out our latest Oscars racetrack odds based upon combining the Oscar predictions of 30 Experts at Gold Derby. Disagree? Make your predictions here and compete against our Experts and Editors to prove that you are the smartest prognosticator on the planet!
- Cast your vote for the Razzie Redeemer Award right here at Gold Derby!
- Squish! Donald and Melania Trump get pelted with Razzie Award nominations!
- Gold Derby offers the inside track to Hollywood leaders at Awards Upfront
- Oscars cliffhanger = Best Picture race: Tom O’Neil tracks the 5 frontrunners
- Tom O’Neil’s 100% accurate Golden Globe predictions: Don’t argue with me!
- Oscars update: Tom O’Neil handicaps the Best Picture race – It’s a real derby, damn it!
- Tom O’Neil’s 100% accurate Golden Globes predictions (Can’t be wrong! Don’t argue with me!)
- Beware: the queen approaches! Here’s why Olivia Colman is a serious threat to grab the Oscar crown for Best Actress
- Watch clash of 3 Oscar prediction Experts: Glenn Whipp, Joyce Eng & Tom O’Neil [Video & Audio Podcast]
- Tom O’Neil explains why Mahershala Ali is suddenly the new Oscar frontrunner
3Crazy Rich Asians100/1
- Updated on: 02 Jan 19, 17:55 pm PT