Over the past 10 days, Mahershala Ali (“Green Book”) has not only jumped ahead of Timothee Chalamet (“Beautiful Boy”) in the Oscar race for Best Supporting Actor, but Ali seems to have established a firm lead among the Experts making predictions at Gold Derby. Fifteen out of 25 Experts pick Ali; 6 predict Chalamet will prevail.
Up until recently, Chalamet consistently held a modest lead in this race. On Oct. 19, for example, 10 Experts picked him to win, 8 backed Ali. Chalamet seemed like the obvious fave because, well, for starters, a lot of people think he should’ve won Best Actor last year for his breakout performance in “Call Me By Your Name.” Now he’s got an even flashier part in “Beautiful Boy”: the kind of big, wigged-out, bug-eyed, high-kicking, grandstanding role that academy voters often adore. He plays a drug addict, sympathetically. Bingo.
By comparison, Ali’s role is quite subdued, reserved. No grandiose theatrics. So what’s going on here? Why is he suddenly pulling ahead of Chalamet by such a significant margin?
- Cast your vote for the Razzie Redeemer Award right here at Gold Derby!
- Squish! Donald and Melania Trump get pelted with Razzie Award nominations!
- Gold Derby offers the inside track to Hollywood leaders at Awards Upfront
- Oscars cliffhanger = Best Picture race: Tom O’Neil tracks the 5 frontrunners
- Tom O’Neil’s 100% accurate Golden Globe predictions: Don’t argue with me!
- Oscars update: Tom O’Neil handicaps the Best Picture race – It’s a real derby, damn it!
- Tom O’Neil’s 100% accurate Golden Globes predictions (Can’t be wrong! Don’t argue with me!)
- Beware: the queen approaches! Here’s why Olivia Colman is a serious threat to grab the Oscar crown for Best Actress
- Watch clash of 3 Oscar prediction Experts: Glenn Whipp, Joyce Eng & Tom O’Neil [Video & Audio Podcast]
- Tom O’Neil explains why Mahershala Ali is suddenly the new Oscar frontrunner
3Crazy Rich Asians100/1
- Updated on: 02 Jan 19, 17:55 pm PT