Technically, “Roma” has more Oscar Experts at Gold Derby predicting it to win Best Picture (9) than “A Star Is Born” (7), but the films are tied for first place with 7/1 odds because the Bradley Cooper/ Lady Gaga musical is consistently ranked a bit higher among all 20 Oscarologists projecting 8 to 10 nominees in the category.
Only one other flick gets ranked first, too: “First Man” (15/2 odds) has support of four pundits. See all of the latest Best Picture rankings by our 20 Experts.
“Roma,” Alfonso Cauron‘s artsy-indie tribute to his childhood in Mexico, has been in a virtual tie with “A Star Is Born” for the past month while Gold Derby’s Experts made frequent changes that usually resulted in the rival films retaining equal numbers of Experts predicting them to prevail, or at least giving them equal odds.
Over the past month, “Green Book” and “The Favourite” climbed up to four and fifth places after receiving standing ovations and wild cheers at the Toronto Film Festival, bumping “If Beale Street Could Talk” and “BlacKkKlansman” down to sixth and seven rungs. Meantime, throughout it all,, “Black Panther has deftly and coolly held on in seventh place.
The nine Oscarologists riding “Roma” in the Best Picture race: Anne Thompson (Indiewire), Adnan Virk (ESPN), Susan Wloszczyna and Thelma Adams (Gold Derby), Andrea Mandell (USA Today), Claudia Puig (KPCC), Jeffrey Wells (Hollywood Elsewhere), Scott Mantz (Collider) and Tariq Khan (Fox TV).
- Cast your vote for the Razzie Redeemer Award right here at Gold Derby!
- Squish! Donald and Melania Trump get pelted with Razzie Award nominations!
- Gold Derby offers the inside track to Hollywood leaders at Awards Upfront
- Oscars cliffhanger = Best Picture race: Tom O’Neil tracks the 5 frontrunners
- Tom O’Neil’s 100% accurate Golden Globe predictions: Don’t argue with me!
- Oscars update: Tom O’Neil handicaps the Best Picture race – It’s a real derby, damn it!
- Tom O’Neil’s 100% accurate Golden Globes predictions (Can’t be wrong! Don’t argue with me!)
- Beware: the queen approaches! Here’s why Olivia Colman is a serious threat to grab the Oscar crown for Best Actress
- Watch clash of 3 Oscar prediction Experts: Glenn Whipp, Joyce Eng & Tom O’Neil [Video & Audio Podcast]
- Tom O’Neil explains why Mahershala Ali is suddenly the new Oscar frontrunner
3Crazy Rich Asians100/1
- Updated on: 02 Jan 19, 17:55 pm PT