Forum Replies Created
April 16, 2021 at 12:52 pm #1204204229
Basically this will happen every year with the nominees cause the agressive campaigns make them assume a posture of standard, when most arent true. Just too artificial.
For example, I dont think there are any classics in this list of nominees (tho I appreciate Nomadland highly) but I’d say Promising Young Woman is the most overrated, not only for its nominations but the public reception, that puts it as some sort of innovative film when its just a revenge plot in a blockbuster.
Trial of the Chicago 7 tho got its noms mostly on the overexposure but seems to be hated by most of the audiences (as it should). It’s just there.
Anyway, those are just opinions and this thread feels too much of a cheap chance to drag whatever things one doesn’t like. Maybe it’s therapeutic lol.April 15, 2021 at 3:08 pm #1204202892
left some categories that i watched less than 3 films in it
BEST PICTURE: Nomadland
BEST DIRECTOR : Chloe Zhao – Nomadland
BEST ACTOR : Anthony Hopkins – The Father
BEST ACTRESS : Frances McDormand – Nomadland
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR : Lakeith Stanfield – Judas and the Black Messiah
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS : Glenn Close – Hillbilly Elegy
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY : Minari
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY : The Father
BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM : Better Days
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE : Soul
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY : Nomadland
BEST EDITING : The Father
BEST SOUND : Soul
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN : News of the World
BEST COSTUME DESIGN : Emma
BEST MAKE-UP & HAIRSTYLING : Emma
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE : Da 5 Bloods
BEST ORIGINAL SONG : Io Sí (Seen) – The Life Ahead
BEST LIVE-ACTION SHORT : The Present
BEST ANIMATED SHORT : Genius Loci
BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT : A Love Song To NatashaApril 12, 2021 at 2:08 pm #1204196304
3. Judas And The Black Messiah
4. The Father
5. Sound of Metal
7. Promising Young Woman
8. Trial of the Chicago 7
Like the first 4 a lot. Ok about SOM. Mank exists. 7 and 8 shouldnt.April 12, 2021 at 1:34 pm #1204196209
1. Genius Loci – That was art. Inspired pick and took me on all along. The one I’m most moved from all the ahorts and from nominees in general.
2. Opera – Also refreshing. Funny to see this many times and catch all the glimpses. Would also make an interesting winner if ever.
3. Burrow – Usual Disney cute. Apparently this is from a project they gave with films that were once scrapped. I wished Oscars picked Out as the Disney representative tho
4. If Anything Happens I Love You – This is obviously winning and I guess thats a Netflix sweep in the short categories? That felt appealing tbh even if it had the best intentions. Can’t say I actually like this. But not the first time they’re going this way with the topic
5. Yes-People – Ok, I love that Iceland has a nomination, but did it need to be for THIS? The student project all around. At least I sorted some 2 laughs.April 12, 2021 at 1:27 pm #1204196182
1. A Love Song To Natasha – Gorgeous images that felt a genuine tribute from those who knew her. Wasn’t too gloomy and valued the represented Subject. Netflix is behin this so winning by a landslide.
2. Do Not Split – Feeling weird on liking a capitalist Hong Kong propaganda that easily but i will admit the film produced incredible images from inside the organizations, first scene is top notch. That gave an intimate feeling and it was interesting their actions needed to stop with pandemic ascention. Oscar shorts usually have a trash-China representative so here it is.
3. Hunger Ward – The perennial “war in middle east effects”. That was actually very sincere and called out in a brutal way. Closing it with the links in the end was a great touch cause well, it reminded who caused the war in the first place.
4. Colette – They truly will milk this topic for eternity. Like someone mentioned above, Colette didnt seem too interested on the search itself. Def too much of a newspaper article. Which is what it is lol
5. A Concerto Is a Conversation – Jesus Christ, these “op-docs” from NYT or whatever need to stop. It’s already a dip from Walk Run Cha Cha last year and that one wasnt good. Very poor direction with the closeup and provided us nothing with the limited time.April 12, 2021 at 1:18 pm #1204196170
I usually love watching these and sad this year’s pack is so weak.
lemme start with live-action
1. The Present – Felt genuine emotional and well built. Took us to feel the struggle of a somewhat regular activity in real time. And look, a film sympathetic with Palestine that US didnt ignore. Top of the list by far.
2. White Eye – Liked the no cut direction and actually built tension again from a frivolous sentiment from the one who started it. Quite a dip from the present tho.
3. Two Distant Strangers – Yeah, the baity one. It strikes easily but I’m getting tired of those time repeating things. Can engage audiences so I think it’s winning.
4. The Letter Room – This one is nomd for Oscar Isaac i suppose? That one was kinda stupid but it gave me few laughs for the quirky.
5. Feeling Through – Def expected more from this subject. But every production dealing with ableism needs to go on the saviour route. Too bad.April 11, 2021 at 12:52 pm #1204193613
The way frances won TWO baftas todayApril 11, 2021 at 12:50 pm #1204193586
FRANCES MCDORMAND A MAIOR PORRAAAAAAApril 11, 2021 at 9:38 am #1204192082
I just wanted frances name to be announced and her frozen pic on screen the artApril 8, 2021 at 7:05 pm #1204187327
Brenda Strong – Desperate Housewives