Forum Replies Created
May 2, 2021 at 6:01 pm #1204239898
Always was surprised how John Turturro was never nominated for Best Actor for Barton Fink when Michael Lerner got a Supporting nomination…
On the topic of Coen bros. films, Steve Buscemi for Fargo.
Vicky Krieps in Phantom Thread, of course.
FYC: Minari for EverythingApril 26, 2021 at 10:20 am #1204229296
Also, not like we didn’t know this already, but Disney-Pixar owns Animated Feature. I know I’m in the minority which thought that Soul wasn’t the best nominee here (obviously Wolfwalkers) but even if Soul hadn’t come out this year then Onward would at the very least have been able to put up a good fight against Wolfwalkers.
FYC: Minari for EverythingApril 26, 2021 at 5:51 am #1204228422
Well I will say that I now disagree with the third wins of both Day-Lewis and McDormand. Love em both, but Phoenix shoulda have won for The Master (and Day-Lewis should have gotten his third for Phantom Thread) and Davis or Mulligan should have won this year. Day-Lewis and McDormand both still desrved their first two though.
FYC: Minari for EverythingApril 26, 2021 at 5:46 am #1204228399
Picture: The Father for sure, although I feel like Mank actually could have done better than the bottom half here.
Director: Fincher because he is Fincher. But honestly the race for second was probably close and the other three could have been close to second.
Actor: Chadwick Boseman.
Actress: Carey Mulligan, since I feel the population who didn’t vote for McDormand a.k.a. copy the BAFTAs probably voted for her.
Supporting Actor: Paul Raci, since it seemed like a lot of people really enjoyed his performance.
Supporting Actress: Glenn Close. Although we knew she wasn’t going to win, there had to have been enough Close stans in the voting field to give her 2nd.
OG Screenplay: Sorkin for Chicago 7.
Adapted Screenplay: Zhao for Nomadland since it won Picture. However I think Borat Subsequent Moviefilm may have fared a lot better in this category than most people think.
Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers, but it was probably nowhere near the number of votes Soul got.
International Feature Film: Quo Vadis, Aida? which gained a lot of traction right around the time of voting and which I feel could have pulled a major upset against Another Round.
Documentary Feature: Time, since I think it still had a lot of love behind it.
Documentary Short: A Love Song for Latasha…? I have no idea.
Live Action Short: The Letter Room.
Animated Short: Burrow, but If Anything Happens had to have won by a mile.
Original Score: Emile Mosseri for Minari, since I doubt anyone who wanted to vote for Reznor/Ross would vote for Mank.
Original Song: Honestly all of them except “Hear My Voice” had to have been close, but I think “Husavik” might have been second…
Best Sound: Soul, but SoM won by a mile.
Production Design: Undoubtedly The Father.
Cinematography: Richards for Nomadland.
Makeup/Hairstyling: Mank? Maybe? I’ve no idea…
Costume Design: Emma..
Editing: Nomadland or maybe The Father.
Visual Effects: The One and Only Ivan
FYC: Minari for EverythingApril 26, 2021 at 5:31 am #1204228347
- Nomadland was always undeniable despite its surprising losses in Cinematography, Screenplay, and Editing.
- Frances McDormand is a powerhouse and a force to be reckoned with.
- Like I said before, Oscars voters should not rely on what they think other people are voting for. This was definitely how Hopkins prevailed over Boseman.
- Youn Yuh-jung is the best person in the world (I think we knew that already though.)
- Steven Soderbergh should not be allowed to produce live events.
- Do NOT order events based on what you think is going to win! This backfired so badly!
- Despite its early stumbles, The Father‘s surprise wins shows that a late release with a lot of anticipation can pay off, even if you bungle the screeners.
- The Academy clearly still has a bias against leading performances by Black performers. In a year where Boseman was expected to easily win, and Viola Davis was a real contender for Actress, neither won.
- Everyone likes H.E.R. apparently.
- Netflix bias is still around, or else Trial would have won something and Ma Rainey would have done better.
- Thomas Vinterberg is a really cool dude.
- Just because we had a weird year this year doesn’t mean we need a weird ceremony. Yeah it was shot nicely, but it was just so awkward where it tried to be intimate.
- The Academy loves Holocaust stuff and we should have seen Colette‘s win from a mile away.
- Do not make ten minutes of fluff when the setting is already awkward. Only Glenn Close could save that fire-dumpster of a segment and even then “Da Butt” only proved just how weird those three and a half hours were.
FYC: Minari for EverythingApril 26, 2021 at 5:19 am #1204228312
Hopkins didn’t attend but no one should’ve expected him to, nor should they have expected him to stay awake. And his Instagram speech was classy and gave a much better tribute to Boseman than the Academy did at all.
Yeah his few heartfelt words about Boseman mean exponentially more than whatever Soderbergh & Friends were trying to achieve.
FYC: Minari for EverythingApril 26, 2021 at 4:23 am #1204228141
Y’all are really trying it as if she gave the award to herself. The fumes.
Yeah like I’m not the happiest about her win in Best Actress but if anyone’s to blame it’s… AMPAS. McDormand isn’t some bigwig fudging the results behind closed doors.
FYC: Minari for EverythingApril 25, 2021 at 8:54 pm #1204226743
I’ll totally concede that Hopkins delivered a brilliant, emotional, unique performance, and that it’s an Oscar worthy performance.
But mark my words, I will always believe that honoring the legacy of a phenomenal actor whose life was cut tragically short was more important.
Boseman was robbed. And that’s all I’ll say now.
FYC: Minari for EverythingApril 25, 2021 at 8:47 pm #1204226644
I will say that this quartet is pretty darn good overall, but I feel like McDormand was just kind of herself in this movie. No disrespect to her, and she deserved her other two Actress wins, but Davis WAS Ma Rainey… And Mulligan did something so unique.
FYC: Minari for Everything