Forum Replies Created
October 17, 2019 at 3:17 pm #1203141683
Granted, I haven’t seen a lot of “bad” movies, because if I see a film getting terrible reviews, I typically avoid seeing it. No particular order:
1. Fantastic Four (2015) – This is a special kind of bad movie. The film fails at a structural level. It has terrible pacing, skips over important parts (learning/adapting to their powers), and has essentially no climax. This is what happens when studios meddle.
2. Downsizing (2017) – Such a disappointment. A genius premise completely wasted. So many strange choices and weird plot shifts. By the end, the fact that they are shrunk down has no bearing on the resolution.
3. R.I.P.D. – A dumb, cheap Men in Black knock-off. Ugly effects and lame attempts at humor. Overall, a total mess.
4. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – The first one isn’t great, but at least it’s moderately entertaining. This one is ultra dumb. As soon as they leave the island, the film falls apart. Justice Smith’s character is one of the most annoying in any film I’ve seen.
5. Safe Haven – Low hanging fruit, I know, but it really is dog shit. Julianne Hough cannot act. The plot twist involving Cobie Smulders being a ghost is extremely asinine. A painful watch.October 3, 2019 at 9:09 am #1203119193
With the dropping of the Richard Jewell trailer, it’s time to play a fun game. Will it be like American Sniper and sneak into the race late, earning some nominations, or like The Mule and have little to no impact? Though the trailer looked pretty good, I’m leaning more toward The Mule side. Maybe Kathy Bates can sneak in, or perhaps some below the line categories.September 21, 2019 at 4:51 pm #1203091363
Lucy in the Sky currently has a 35 on Metacritic, so if you still have it in your predictions, I would suggest swapping it out. Too bad, I thought it had some potential.September 12, 2019 at 7:27 am #1203070955
I think Knives Out could definitely pop up in SAG ensemble, but not end up being a BP nominee, like Crazy Rich Asians did last year. Right now, I see it as a potential Original Screenplay nominee, but not much beyond that. Maybe some below the line categories like Production Design.September 10, 2019 at 2:24 pm #1203068137
I see Just Mercy being this year’s Marshall, in that it looks like it might have potential, but ends up having little impact.September 9, 2019 at 8:03 pm #1203066783
Downton Abbey currently has a 59 on Metacritic based on 11 reviews. I would say there’s still an outside possibility for Maggie Smith, though I’m doubtful.July 18, 2019 at 6:54 pm #1202984182
Soooo, what do we think about that Cats trailer?
I think the visuals look awful. Uncanny valley humanoid cats is just outright disturbing. I do not plan on watching this film.
I don’t see it having an impact on the Oscars, but time will tell. I imagine it stands a descent shot in Original Song, at the very least.June 12, 2019 at 1:40 pm #1202934909
Why are people predicting Noah Baumbach’s upcoming film? His only nomination is for The Squid and the Whale’s screenplay, beside that he’s never really been on the Oscar’s radar. Don’t get me wrong, I love his films (Frances Ha is great) but I don’t see why this one will suddenly make a big splash when his others haven’t.January 6, 2019 at 8:08 pm #1202722949
Happy for Close, but I would just like to sing praise for Melissa McCarthy, because she’s fantastic in CYEFM?January 6, 2019 at 7:48 pm #1202722680
Janelle Monae is a goddamn QUEEN!January 6, 2019 at 7:45 pm #1202722636
Glad to be wrong! Colman was magnificent!January 6, 2019 at 7:20 pm #1202722438
Cuaron always hits it out of the park. Children of Men is one of my all time favorites. Prisoner of Azkaban is the best HP film. Y tu mama tambien and Roma are beautiful looks into different eras of Mexican life. And of course Gravity is a film experience like no other.January 6, 2019 at 7:10 pm #1202722341
Love Jeff Bridges!January 6, 2019 at 6:48 pm #1202722182
Even though I wasn’t a big fan of Vice overall, there’s no denying Bale’s performance was incredible. Disappears into the role.